2008 World Championships Rosters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Any ideas on potential rosters for your favorite team? I'll try the U.S. (made up of NHL teams currently not in the playoffs and with the usual non-interest shown by certain players):

Goaltenders (x3):

1) Craig Anderson
2) Brent Johnson
3) John Curry (AHL)

* Ryan Miller and Rick DiPietro would be logical choices, but I doubt they play. Both could use a rest, although Buffalo is still in the hunt.

Defensemen (x8):

Ron Hainsey/Keith Ballard
Erik Johnson/Jack Johnson
Ryan Suter/Tom Gilbert
James Wisniewski/Dustin Byfuglien

Forwards (x12):

Dustin Brown-Patrick O'Sullivan-Pat Kane
Lee Stempniak-Peter Mueller-David Booth
Jeff Halpern-David Backes-Drew Stafford
Dan Fritsche-Paul Gaustad-Marty Reasoner

Very young, but could be spunky.

Stamvarhall*

Lemieux-Gretzky-Crosby
Bossy-Yzerman-Messier
Sakic-Lafleur-Shanahan

Orr-Bourque
Coffey-Niederayer
Pronger-Phaneuf
MacInnis

Roy-Brodeur-Turco

Coaching staff: Scotty Bowman, Lindy Ruff, Mike Babcock and Brent Sutter
Waterboy:Oilers waterboyLOL

this my friend is the all-world team from past, present, and the future

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Any ideas on potential rosters for your favorite team? I'll try the U.S. (made up of NHL teams currently not in the playoffs and with the usual non-interest shown by certain players):

Goaltenders (x3):

1) Craig Anderson
2) Brent Johnson
3) John Curry (AHL)

* Ryan Miller and Rick DiPietro would be logical choices, but I doubt they play. Both could use a rest, although Buffalo is still in the hunt.

Defensemen (x8):

Ryan Suter/Tom Gilbert

Forwards (x12):

If Miller and Dipietro can't go, then US should go with Cory Schneider as the starter. He's been the hottest goalie in the AHL in 08 and I believe he was on the US team last year as well.

Macman

May 15, 2004
Canada should be very strong given the fact the worlds are being held there for the first time. I would think Hockey Canada will go with a very small core of players from non-playoff teams and wait for more first-round casualties than it normally would in light of the short travel and no jet lag concerns. I don't think many healthy Canadians would pass this one up.

The core group should be something like Nash, Toews, Lecavalier, St. Louis, Doan and maybe Bouwmeester. After that, it could be anyone depending on who goes out.

newfieleafsfan29

Feb 20, 2008
Canada's Roster

Derek Roy- Vinny Lecavalier- Marty St. Louis
Nathan Horton-Jonathan Toews-Jason Pominville
Jp Dumont-Paul Kariya-Brad Boyes/Patrick Sharp
Rick Nash-Mike Comrie-Shane Doan

Defence

Weber-Bouwmeester
Keith-Boyle
Jovanovski-Blake
Foote-Brewer

Goalies
Price
Pogge
Smith
Legace
Leclair

Don't know for Goalies any Thoughts

deanosaur

Feb 17, 2008
AB/MB
It would be wicked if the pens don't make the playoffs and Crosby play

Stall Brothers???????????????

haha pens miss theplayoffs.. thatll be a bigger joke than the maple leafs season.
im not even a pens fan but their in a very good position to keep a playoff spot.
but they could still get eliminated first round so he could play assuming he doesnt make up an injury so he doesnt play.

Macman

May 15, 2004
Canada's Roster

Derek Roy- Vinny Lecavalier- Marty St. Louis
Nathan Horton-Jonathan Toews-Jason Pominville
Jp Dumont-Paul Kariya-Brad Boyes/Patrick Sharp
Rick Nash-Mike Comrie-Shane Doan

Defence

Weber-Bouwmeester
Keith-Boyle
Jovanovski-Blake
Foote-Brewer

Goalies
Price
Pogge
Smith
Legace
Leclair

Don't know for Goalies any Thoughts

Canada will be better than this. You don't have enough guys from teams likely to go out in the first round. If Calgary loses, Iginla and Phaneuf could be there. Thornton, Campbell and Marleau for San Jose. Maybe Luongo or Brodeur in goal. Can you imagine Crosby playing in his home town if the Pens lose and he's healthy enough to play?

Right off the top I'd say there's no chance guys like Dumont, Pominville, Comrie, Sharp and maybe even Kariya make this team. I think there will be better options.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
Canada will be better than this. You don't have enough guys from teams likely to go out in the first round. If Calgary loses, Iginla and Phaneuf could be there. Thornton, Campbell and Marleau for San Jose. Maybe Luongo or Brodeur in goal. Can you imagine Crosby playing in his home town if the Pens lose and he's healthy enough to play?

Right off the top I'd say there's no chance guys like Dumont, Pominville, Comrie, Sharp and maybe even Kariya make this team. I think there will be better options.
Keep in mind that star players usually don't go to the Worlds

petrklima85

Apr 13, 2006
HAMILTON, ONTARIO
Goaltenders (x3):

1) Craig Anderson
2) Brent Johnson
3) John Curry (AHL)

Defensemen (x8):

Ryan Suter/Tom Gilbert

Forwards (x12):

3 things...if I may.....

I'd rather see Legwand and Okposo there then Fritsche or Reasoner (it may be a moot point if Fritsche's hand hasn't healed in the next month or so)

A team that young is just begging for a veteran leader, so Halpern's a good add

I agree with a subsequent poster with having Schneider on the team in place of John Curry.

Finally, what about Oshie or JVR (if the Flyers tank)....in years past didn't America bring along Kessel and others before they were actually NHLers ?

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
You can expect to see Toews, Nash, Doan, Weber in the World Champions.

I think this might be the only year where Canada gets star players since it's being played in Canada. And also expect the players from the 1st round going there.

I'd love to see Iginla and Phaneuf there so Lose Flames Lose!

EDIT-And you might see Spezza and Heatley there. :cry:

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
You can expect to see Toews, Nash, Doan, Weber in the World Champions.

I think this might be the only year where Canada gets star players since it's being played in Canada. And also expect the players from the 1st round going there.

I'd love to see Iginla and Phaneuf there so Lose Flames Lose!

EDIT-And you might see Spezza and Heatley there. :cry:

I highly doubt Iginla goes, he almost never does, but Phaneuf may go.

Sorry it took me a while to post Rabid, I'm faster than this usually!

This is my Team Canada from the Bottom 5 Teams in each conference, so its HIGHLY subject to change, HIGHLY.

Bottom 5 Teams WHC Team as at March 24th

St. Louis - Doan - Nash
Cammelleri - Toews - Boyes
Pisani - Peca - Armstrong
McClemment - Mayers - Chimmera

Brewer - Bouwmeester
Boyle - Keith
Jovonovski - Seabrook
Murphy

Legace
Leclair
Smith

Despite the lack of teams and players available, I'd be highly please with this team. However, it is not very likely that a guy like Mike Peca will go, but it would be nice to see him there. Also, the 4th line is just the same line as last year, so they might not want to do it again and spend time with their family, but at least its in Canada, so that makes it slightly more likely that they go.

Edit: Apparently I'm Pejorative Slured and didn't notice that Edmonton wasn't bottom 5, so Staois and Garon had to be taken out.

Last edited:

somebody

Nov 2, 2006
Finland at this point:

Peltonen-O.Jokinen-J.Jokinen
Pesonen-Kontiola-Leino
Hentunen-N.Kapanen-Bergenheim
Laaksonen-Pirnes-Hahl
13.Immonen

Lydman-Pitkänen
Numminen*-Koistinen
Väänänen-Lepistö
Niinimaa-M.Lehtonen

Lehtonen
Toskala
Wallinheimo/Rämö

*Depends on his condition. If he can't play, then either Lehtonen or Niinimaa to his place.

Pushkin*

Star and proud players play just like Ovechkin Malkin Kovalchuk Sundin Forsberg Heatley Doan Smyth etc...

deanosaur

Feb 17, 2008
AB/MB
Star and proud players play just like Ovechkin Malkin Kovalchuk Sundin Forsberg Heatley Doan Smyth etc...

i would take Forsberg and sundin off that list. i really dont think they play.
other than that i agree.
nobody plays for more pride than ryan smyth. the only time hes declined to play was.. well he was in playoffs so he didnt other than that i think hes played every time hes got an invite.

Pushkin*

Sundin has played many many times just go learn the facts. Hockey really is a marginal sport for reasons like that. In Football NO ONE refuses to play for the National Team it's the ultimate honour.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Sundin has played many many times just go learn the facts. Hockey really is a marginal sport for reasons like that. In Football NO ONE refuses to play for the National Team it's the ultimate honour.

Sundin has also refused a lot of times though, due to lack of motivation. I'd be suprised if he showed up for a WC tournament ever again.

However, Team Sweden overall have been struggeling to entice the big stars to the last WC tournaments. The honour feels gone somehow. But they can always count on their younger NHLers it seems.

Enstrom, Backstrom, Edler, L. Eriksson, Steen and Nilsson would love to go.

v-man

Apr 19, 2006
Toronto
www.ivories.ca
Sundin has already stated that he's not going to play for Sweden at the Olympics, and has refused to play at the worlds the past two years, so I don't see why anyone would even consider him a candidate. He's played for Sweden at the Worlds many times (he actually has the distinction of scoring the very last goal against the Soviet Union ever at the 91 championship), and at his age, I don't think anyone in Sweden is giving him grief for his decision. Sweden has more than enough guys to take his place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad