Slovenia
C: Marcel Rodman
A: Anze Kopitar
A: Tomaz Razingar

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Mark Stuart gets an "A"? Why?

He's only 23 years old.....[Martin and Parise are better choice since they have more of a role on the team even though Parise is same age as Stuart]

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

He's only 23 years old.....[Martin and Parise are better choice since they have more of a role on the team even though Parise is same age as Stuart]

Because he's been a leader on every team he's been on. I can tell you've never played team sports...Age means nothing when it comes to leadership. Mark Stuart was born a leader.

Systemfel

<b><i>Hockey Talk by Country</b></i>
Jun 20, 2004
Gothenburg

Last night I saw Stempniak wearing an 'A' (Parise wore the other). So Stuart might not be an alternate after all.

Edit: Although they could have had three players wearing A's. :dunno:

Last edited:

Vic Rattlehead*

Captained the ONLY US team to win World Junior gold.
Captained his college team.
Should be a future captain or alternate in the future.

He just oozes leadership qualities. A Born leader.

Also, talent =/ good captain. That's the reason why Thornton was a terrible captain in Boston.

VladNYC*

Morozov is undeserving, imo.

He is a reknown liability in the defensive end, I thought Russia wanted to steer clear of such an image?

Get lost troll. He is one of Russia's biggest stars and highest payed players.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Morozov is undeserving, imo.

He is a reknown liability in the defensive end, I thought Russia wanted to steer clear of such an image?

... Wow, what's the point? Morozov wasn't the most useful guy in the defensive zone on small ice (I don't know for big ice), but I can't see why this would affect his leadership, or the fact he's one of the most experienced russian player....

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
... Wow, what's the point? Morozov wasn't the most useful guy in the defensive zone on small ice (I don't know for big ice), but I can't see why this would affect his leadership, or the fact he's one of the most experienced russian player....

I'm referring to the fact that the last 3 championhsips they always fell short because of mental lapses in the defensive end.

Morozov is the posterboy for this kind of play, from what I remember of him.

RocheBag

Jan 2, 2007
CBS, Newfoundland

He has worn a letter for every team he's ever played for.

Every team he's ever captained has won a gold medal/championship.

Who would you pick ahead of him?

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
I'm referring to the fact that the last 3 championhsips they always fell short because of mental lapses in the defensive end.

Morozov is the posterboy for this kind of play, from what I remember of him.

Perhaps you should watch more WC games then. Russia hasn't given up more than 4 goals in any single game in the past 3 WC's.

Last year Russia was outright DOMINANT until Morozov was injured. Without Morozov in the lineup, Russia's confidence/chemistry changed.....and it was obvious when they lost to Finland.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
I don't know, maybe a guy who has won the tournament twice already and has 3 Stanley Cups to boot.
I guess that this discussion better be fully transitioned into this thread. In any case, Fedorov is better suited for the A he has now for three simple reasons:

1. He has never heard of more than half the team. Managing to learn everyone's name (figuratively speaking) in time for the knockout stages will be difficult enough.

2. Over half the team has only ever seen Fedorov on TV. While he will, undoubtedly, command authority - a short tournament such as the World Championships ideally requires a preestablished relationship between the captain and the youngsters he is to lead.

3. He publicly declined the captaincy before it was assigned citing the above two reasons as to why he thought there were better candidates on the team.

...any other suggestions? ;)

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
Get lost troll. He is one of Russia's biggest stars and highest payed players.

Morozov has been awful defensively for his entire career, and defensive lapses have cost the Russians bigtime recently.

Him being a star in Russia changes little in that department.

Who's the troll?

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
I guess that this discussion better be fully transitioned into this thread. In any case, Fedorov is better suited for the A he has now for three simple reasons:

1. He has never heard of more than half the team. Managing to learn everyone's name (figuratively speaking) in time for the knockout stages will be difficult enough.

2. Over half the team has only ever seen Fedorov on TV. While he will, undoubtedly, command authority - a short tournament such as the World Championships ideally requires a preestablished relationship between the captain and the youngsters he is to lead.

3. He publicly declined the captaincy before it was assigned citing the above two reasons as to why he thought there were better candidates on the team.

...any other suggestions? ;)

Do you have a source for Fedorov declining it? I must have been out of the loop. I think that's pretty big on his part, many players would have loved such an honour.

And yes i think there are still better candidates then Morozov, although I will admit that 1) I didn't watch him play in the last two WC, and that 2) I have been out of the loop regarding this tournamnet in general, so I missed things such as Feds declining the captaincy and other info that may get in the way of certain players being named captain.

VladNYC*

Morozov has been awful defensively for his entire career, and defensive lapses have cost the Russians bigtime recently.

Who's the troll?

Since when do you have to be a defensive player to be the captain of the team? What do you know about Morozov, out side of the NHL any way? I'll answer for you, NOTHING. Team Russia is happy enough when they have D-men playing defense, Morozov's implied "defensive inadequates" are a none issue. Slitty hit it on the head, Feds doesn't know most of the team and neither do they. Morozov is captain of Ak Bars as well...should some one be the captain there instead of him too?

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
Since when do you have to be a defensive player to be the captain of the team? What do you know about Morozov, out side of the NHL any way? I'll answer for you, NOTHING. Team Russia is happy enough when they have D-men playing defense, Morozov's implied "defensive inadequates" are a none issue. Slitty hit it on the head, Feds doesn't know most of the team and neither do they. Morozov is captain of Ak Bars as well...should some one be the captain there instead of him too?

Sensitive.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Do you have a source for Fedorov declining it? I must have been out of the loop. I think that's pretty big on his part, many players would have loved such an honour.
http://www.sport-express.ru/art.shtml?158314

Yet again the Czechs it was Morozov who was largely responsible for Russia successfully killing off a very dangerous last minute penalty to allow the game to go into overtime. And then it was none other than Morozov who grabbed the bull by the horns and scored the overtime goal that gave Russia the eventual victory. I don't know about you, but I consider that leadership.

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
Yet again the Czechs it was Morozov who was largely responsible for Russia successfully killing off a very dangerous last minute penalty to allow the game to go into overtime. And then it was none other than Morozov who grabbed the bull by the horns and scored the overtime goal that gave Russia the eventual victory. I don't know about you, but I consider that leadership.

Morozov is making me eat my words.

He is playing very well, in addition to lighting up the scoresheet (contrasted with Alex Semin, who has lots of points but was benched in OT).

I hope his play continues, Russia will need to step it up if they want that gold medal.

Adding Nabokov makes them a much better team as well.

I am cheering them on. :handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad