WC: 2008 World Championship Captains

Systemfel

<b><i>Hockey Talk by Country</b></i>
Jun 20, 2004
Gothenburg
Canada names captains

Belarus
C: Ruslan Salei (replaced the injured Oleg Antonenko)
A: Andrei Mikhalev (replaced the injured Konstantin Koltsov)
A: Viktor Kostyuchenok (replaced the injured Alexander Makritsky)

Canada
C: Shane Doan
A: Martin St. Louis
A: Steve Staios

Czech Republic
C: Tomáš Kaberle
A: Patrik Eliáš
A: Filip Kuba

Denmark
C: Jesper Damgaard
A: Peter Regin
A: Kim Staal

Finland
C: Ville Peltonen
A: Olli Jokinen
A: Mikko Koivu

France
C: Laurent Meunier
A: Laurent Gras
A: Baptiste Amar

Germany
C: Marco Sturm
A: Sven Felski
A: Andreas Renz

Italy
C: Jason Cirone
A: Giulio Scandella
A: Mario Chitarroni

Latvia
C: Rodrigo Lavins
A: Janis Sprukts
A: Herberts Vasiljevs

Norway
C: Tommy Jakobsen
A: Per-Åge Skrøder
A: Mats Trygg

Russia
C: Alexei Morozov
A: Sergei Fedorov
A: Maxim Sushinsky

Slovakia
C: Róbert Petrovický
A: Martin Štrbák
A: Ľubomír ViÅ¡ňovský

Slovenia
C: Marcel Rodman
A: Anže Kopitar
A: Tomaz Razingar

Sweden
C: Kenny Jönsson
A: Magnus Johansson
A: Niclas Wallin

Switzerland
C: Sandy Jeannin
A: Andres Ambühl
A: Paul Di Pietro

United States
C: Jeff Halpern
A: Zach Parise
A: Lee Stempniak
A: Mark Stuart

Last edited:

Mirinho

Jan 23, 2007
confirmed by czech coach:

C - T. Kaberle
A - Kuba
A - Elias

Last edited:

pampatus

Jan 22, 2008
Ville Peltonen has been the captain of team Finland whenever Saku Koivu isn't around. I expect that trend to continue and be happy with it.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
My guess is Jeff Halpern will be the U.S. captain.

Has anyone heard anything official?

Given this young roster and his background (WCs, World Cup, former NHL team captain, and finished the season playing for Tortorella, plus his age), I agree, seems a given Halpern will be named captain.

As to A's I'd guess some combo of Martin, Parise, and/or Ballard based on roles, age, and USA Hockey intl hockey experience; maybe Brown? But just guesses on my part, I know the poster is looking for official info. and I haven't seen any; does anyone know who wore the lettes for the USA in tonight's exhibition game against Sweden?

Last edited:

pampatus

Jan 22, 2008
But when Olli has been around without Koivu, he has been the captain.

Olli will get an "A" while playing for team Finland this year, but he won't be the captain as long as Saku or Ville are on the team.
He probably will be our captain in few years.

I can't remember a single tournament where Olli would have been the captain. Maybe a game or two at some point with injuries on a team, but not even sure about that.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Olli will get an "A" while playing for team Finland this year, but he won't be the captain as long as Saku or Ville are on the team.
He probably will be our captain in few years.

I can't remember a single tournament where Olli would have been the captain. Maybe a game or two at some point with injuries on a team, but not even sure about that.

Olli has been captain quite a few times. I'll look up when. He has been it over Ville at least once.

pampatus

Jan 22, 2008
Olli has been captain quite a few times. I'll look up when. He has been it over Ville at least once.

Please do, I couldn't find any such info with a quick search.

Ville hasn't been officially declared as the captain this year, but to my knowledge he wore "C" in the practice match against Canada while Olli wore "A".

And just out of curiosity, are you finnish and living in Sweden or a swede who just has seen many team Finland matches? :)

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Please do, I couldn't find any such info with a quick search.

Ville hasn't been officially declared as the captain this year, but to my knowledge he wore "C" in the practice match against Canada while Olli wore "A".

And just out of curiosity, are you finnish and living in Sweden or a swede who just has seen many team Finland matches? :)

I am finnish living in sweden.

I am checking it out right now. 2005 Olli was captain, with Ville on the team. BUT Ville had injury problems and couldn't play all games, which could be a reason as to why Olli wore the C from the beginning.

pampatus

Jan 22, 2008
I am checking it out right now. 2005 Olli was captain, with Ville on the team. BUT Ville had injury problems and couldn't play all games, which could be a reason as to why Olli wore the C from the beginning.

Sounds familiar. I just wasn't completely sure when and why that would have happened.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Has anyone heard anything official?

Given this young roster and his background (WCs, World Cup, former NHL team captain, and finished the season playing for Tortorella, plus his age), I agree, seems a given Halpern will be named captain.

As to A's I'd guess some combo of Martin, Parise, and/or Ballard based on roles, age, and USA Hockey intl hockey experience; maybe Brown? But just guesses on my part, I know the poster is looking for official info. and I haven't seen any; does anyone know who wore the lettes for the USA in tonight's exhibition game against Sweden?

It's official: http://www.usahockey.com/Template_Usahockey.aspx?NAV=TU_01_03&id=227164

Halpern with the "C", Parise and Stuart with the "A"'s.

captain AARON MAIDEN*

Slovakia
C-Robert Petrovicky
A-Lubo Visnovsky
A-Martin Strbak

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad