2008 NHL Entry Draft: Carolina Hurricanes

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Not at all--we don't know what would have happened, because the Hurricanes kept pressing the kid to sign ASAP, and he wouldn't do so.

What I am saying is what I am saying. The Hurricanes were pissed off at JMFJ because he not only refused to leave UMich after his first season there (even though he said that he had from the moment he was drafted that he had promised at least 2 years to the Wolverines), but also because he turned down their offer to come be a part of the Cup run as an observer--the team felt snubbed, the team felt that Disco Dad was encouraging the kid to yank the team around, and so they traded him. Punkt.

Anything more is wishful revisionist thinking/sour grapes on the part of certain individuals.
Really? You say he made the comment about a 2 year promise public from the moment he was drafted? There is revisionist thinking alright but it's on your part. Where are those quotes you insist he made?

Here's a good compilation on LCG from various sources which you should recall...

“It wasn't really as tempting as it looked like it was," Johnson said. "I knew going into the draft, no matter what, I would be here in Ann Arbor. Carolina wanted to talk to me, and I was fair to them and listened, but there was nothing they could offer that would keep me from coming here. I knew I wanted to play for Michigan, and that was my first priority."

Johnson asserted he will be at U-M for years to come, though he did not dismiss the idea that in one or two years from now he will weigh the decision again.

"I'll talk to the people I trust the most, and that's the coaches running this program, but right now I'm preparing for a career at Michigan. I plan on finishing here at Michigan," he said.

FOXSports.com: How much contact have you had with Carolina's organization since the draft?

JJ: I have had very little contact with Carolina ever since we were in agreement that I was going to Michigan, but I'm sure that we will touch base more as the season progresses.

INCH: Most people believe this will be your only year at Michigan. What do you say to that?

JJ: I'm just having fun right now, and I'm going to take it one year at a time. I'm at Michigan right now and having fun, so that's about it.

From the N&O...
But when it comes to his future, the 19-year-old defenseman faces a bit more indecision. The Hurricanes want him to sign and play in the NHL right now. He's not sure he's ready to leave Michigan after leading all freshman defensemen with 32 points in 38 games.

"At this point, I'm kind of up in the air, I guess," Johnson said Sunday. "I still feel hesitant on making the jump. I want to make sure. I'm going to talk to a few people who I really confide in, and after talking to them try to make a pretty good decision. Right now, I'm really torn."

So he had many opportunities to state he wasn't wavering from the so-called two-year promise but didn't mention it until after he was traded and trying to do some P.R. damage control. Interesting, huh? :nod:

HughJass*

So he had many opportunities to state he wasn't wavering from the so-called two-year promise but didn't mention it until after he was traded and trying to do some P.R. damage control. Interesting, huh? :nod:

Actually, in light on the stuff about Dalpe, it sounds like he had his mind made up but the Canes kept badgering him. Why would he want to play for an employer who doesn't have his best wishes in interest, only their own interests?

AcidQueen

Joe, Lord of Evil
Yeap, Coach Markell sheds some light about how the Canes do business:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080622/SPORTS05/806220643/1053/rss17

You'd think they learned their lesson from the JJ thing. Maybe it had nothing to do with the Ilitch/Karmanos feud but more to the "damn, why don't they just leave me alone?" route.

Btw, sounds like the Canes had Dalpe 16th on the draft board. Yeah, you have to make that choice over Jared Staal.

This can only end well.... :shakehead

DaleCooper

NEVER 4GET
Aug 2, 2005
Brooklyn
www.jonathanhawkins.net
I don't think this is anything to worry about... yet.

Everybody is getting their little plug and politicking in here at the beginning, then the dust will settle. If we take it too far after that, then we may be digging our own grave again...

If the guy's heart is set on OSU and he is standing firm on his commitment, then I don't see how you push him. Even if it is better for his development as a player to go to Plymouth, I don't think you want the guy looking back over the next few years with regret thinking about what could have been if he had stuck with college.

AcidQueen

Joe, Lord of Evil
Even if it is better for his development as a player to go to Plymouth

Not really. Here's an example of Hurricanes draftees that we've either plucked straight from Plymouth or wound up getting moved to Plymouth shortly after being drafted:

Nikos Tselios - 1st round (22nd overall), 1997
Tomas Kurka - 2nd round (32nd overall), 2000
Sergei Fedotov - 2nd round (35th overall), 1995
Justin Peters - 2nd round (38th overall), 2004
Kevin Holdridge - 3rd round (70th overall), 1998
Steve Wasylko - 4th round (104th overall), 1996
Michal Jordan - 4th round (105th overall), 2008
Rob Zepp - 4th round (110th overall), 2001
Jared Newman - 4th round (110th overall), 2000
Mark McMahon - 5th round (116th overall), 1996
Ondrej Otcenas - 4th round (123rd overall), 2005
Chris Terry - 5th round (132nd overall), 2007
Brett Bellemore - 6th round (162nd overall), 2007
Damian Surma - 6th round (174th overall), 1999
Tom Buckley - 8th round (187th overall), 1994
Milan Kostolny - 8th round (191st overall), 1995
Randy Fitzgerald - 8th round (199th overall), 1997
Mike Rucinski - 9th round (217th overall), 1995
Matt Ball - 9th round (230th overall), 1994
Jonas Fiedler - 8th round (235th overall), 2004

A cumulative total of ~47 games of NHL experience--most of those played by Tomas Kurka (17 games) and Mike Rucinski (26 games). This team overdrafts from Plymouth (which is not exactly the most consistently stellar team in the OHL), and it's killing us long term.

I swear, sometimes Uncle Pete is really nostalgic for the Norris family's ownership of the Red Wings or something--he keeps trying to emulate it at every turn with this nickel-and-dime BS.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
However it does bear mentioning that Justin Williams was a player we picked up based in large part on having watched him in Plymouth.

Addtionally, keep an eye out for Paul Mara, James Wisniewski, and Bryan Berard.

faulkingdynamic

J Troll
Oct 4, 2006
Raleigh NC
The Dalpe and Johnson situations are apples an oranges. In Dalpe's case we are discussing where you should continue to develop in Plymouth or OSU....Clearly Petey has a selfish preference. In Johnson's case the Canes wanted him to sign so he could help the Canes parent club.....ya know the whole reason for the draft. They werent squabbling about where to develop, they were saying "we need you now and we think you can help us!!!"

These two situations shouldnt be compared IMO

HughJass*

The Dalpe and Johnson situations are apples an oranges. In Dalpe's case we are discussing where you should continue to develop in Plymouth or OSU....Clearly Petey has a selfish preference. In Johnson's case the Canes wanted him to sign so he could help the Canes parent club.....ya know the whole reason for the draft. They werent squabbling about where to develop, they were saying "we need you now and we think you can help us!!!"

These two situations shouldnt be compared IMO

It seems they are going to eventually hound (and it sounds like they started even before the draft) a player about changing his mind about college and do something else according to the team's interest (regardless if we think it's right or wrong). Sounds like the same situation to me. :dunno:

Regardless if anyone thought Johnson was ready for the NHL, his past year in L.A. clearly proves he was not ready to play in the NHL a couple of years ago.

Let's get something straight: Zac Dalpe is not needed by the parent club at the moment. Other interests (due to ownership by the name who owns the Carolina Hurricanes and Plymouth Whalers) wants him to play for the Plymouth Whalers. Carolina Hurricanes business and Plymouth Whalers business should not be bumping heads, and as long as they bump heads there are going to be serious problems with this organization. Why they can't just let him go to college and develop is purely for selfish reasons regarding Peter Karmanos' interests, those same interests that brought you that wonderful list AcidQueen presented in her last post.

Or maybe I should go pick up my Jonas Fiedler sweater now? :dunno:

Last edited by a moderator:

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
"Carolina does not draft players for their junior team," Stefan said. "It was just a coincidence. Who knows how it's going to work out? We think it's in his best interest to play for us, if he wants to."

I like that he ads "if he wants to." Maybe they won't badger the kid, but I'm not going to be surprised if they do. If anything they should be impressed with his loyalty to his word and let him go to Ohio State. It's not like he's going to a school with a weak program or anything. I'd love to see him play alongside Chris Terry next year but if he'd rather go to school I'm cool with that. Just don't want to see us tick off another prospect by constantly hounding him.

However it does bear mentioning that Justin Williams was a player we picked up based in large part on having watched him in Plymouth.

Addtionally, keep an eye out for Paul Mara, James Wisniewski, and Bryan Berard.

Don't forget Larose. I'm sure he was likely given a shot because of having played for Plymouth. I don't think they expected him to make the big team, though.

wingsfan17

Jan 20, 2008
Actually, in light on the stuff about Dalpe, it sounds like he had his mind made up but the Canes kept badgering him. Why would he want to play for an employer who doesn't have his best wishes in interest, only their own interests?

Because they own his rights (in multiple ways.) This is the team that drafted you and that you'll be playing for in the future, you're expected to do what they want if they feel it's best. I think all the player the canes drafted (except Dalpe) were out of the CHL so of course they think highly of it.

HughJass*

Because they own his rights (in multiple ways.) This is the team that drafted you and that you'll be playing for in the future, you're expected to do what they want if they feel it's best.

Ok, then Dalpe is free to go to Ohio State, play his 4 years and become a UFA. I fail to see your logic. Dalpe is a human being, the Carolina Hurricanes doesn't own him.

I think all the player the canes drafted (except Dalpe) were out of the CHL so of course they think highly of it.

Doesn't a very high percentage of picks are out of the CHL every year? :dunno:

Dude, I don't really like wasting time arguing about anything, so consider our conversation done.

wingsfan17

Jan 20, 2008
Right, he can do whatever he wants. is it wise to already have issues with the team that drafted you? Probably not. And yes the CHL does tend to get higher, more draft picks evrywhere, which is me just saying that's probably the best path for his future. I understand the whole promise, commitment thing but the "better for his development" seems like BS.

HughJass*

I understand the whole promise, commitment thing but the "better for his development" seems like BS.

Oh where did I say it was better for his development? I said it was debatable. I'm stuck on the "commitment" part, you are stuck on the "I just want to argue with Storminator16" part. You have been since your first contradictory post.

I'm sorry we are getting off on the wrong foot, but my only beef is the fact they want him to break his word just so he can play for Karmanos' other team. I don't think it has anything to do with which program is best for his development, it's to make the boss happy and to help with the development of some other "farm hands", I guess. And this is also going up Jack Johnson territory which I would not like to see a repeat of, especially if this kids turns out to be a steal. That's all.

The Carolina Hurricanes owns his rights to play for their organization; until they sign him to a contract, they can't dictate poop. If Dalpe decides to somehow magically piss them off (just like Jack Johnson magically pissed them off), then this organization needs to look itself in the mirror.

It's time for more coffee.

Last edited by a moderator:

wingsfan17

Jan 20, 2008

Oh where did I say it was better for his development? I said it was debatable. I'm stuck on the "commitment" part, you are stuck on the "I just want to argue with Storminator16" part. You have been since your first contradictory post.

I'm sorry we are getting off on the wrong foot, but my only beef is the fact they want him to break his word just so he can play for Karmanos' other team. I don't think it has anything to do with which program is best for his development, it's to make the boss happy and to help with the development of some other "farm hands", I guess. And this is also going up Jack Johnson territory which I would not like to see a repeat of, especially if this kids turns out to be a steal. That's all.

No, I wasn't talking about you saying that, was talking about the articles from the beginning. And although I agree 90% of Karmanos is being selfish and wanting him to play for the whalers, you gotta feel that honestly he's also trying to help Dalpe and feel like he'd develop more there. I don't think he'd hold back a player's potential just to make his mediocre ohl team a little bit better

HughJass*

No, I wasn't talking about you saying that, was talking about the articles from the beginning. And although I agree 90% of Karmanos is being selfish and wanting him to play for the whalers, you gotta feel that honestly he's also trying to help Dalpe and feel like he'd develop more there. I don't think he'd hold back a player's potential just to make his mediocre ohl team a little bit better

K, now we are getting somewhere because I agree with what you said. Of course, since he owns an OHL team I'm sure Karmanos would love to think Dalpe could develop better there, but that's still debatable whichever way you slice it. I'd rather him keep his word (which trumps everything we are discussing because a measure of a man's worth is by his word) and get an education while playing hockey at The Ohio State University instead of trying to make sure Karmanos and the boys can add more OHL championships to their resumes. :sarcasm:

wingsfan17

Jan 20, 2008
unless this guy plays like gretzky there's no chance that'll happen. Whalers need a lot more than one player, more like 12. :help:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
it says right there in the freep article link that peeps of the whalers are actually meeting with the kid...."not to pressure him or anything" because they need a center for chris terry, and they think he would be perfect for it. they are absolutely putting the full court press on the kid just so he can center their other star junior - not for dalpe's own development. i love how dalpes ncaa coach says the canes are the only team that does this, and i fully believe it. they have always been about high picks doing SOMETHING for the organization asap, and its sad. try having more picks in the draft (how bout just once having just all of your own?), god forbid we have a 8 or 9 pick draft and actually have more depth in the system so we dont harrass every decent player who comes along. leave the kid alone, i dont want to see him with the canes for three years. drafting college kids is becoming nice for us, we can let them develop our kids for us - they are much better at it. i really wish we had taken a another college d, its the only way they'll make it with us.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I think a bigger part of the issue is PK owning both the Whalers and the Canes. How many other NHL owners also own a major junior franchise? My guess is none. When you're spending over 10% of your draft on players from one team, even if the majority of those were from rounds that no longer exist, there are some real micromanagement issues. Just take a hands off approach and give JR (or preferably Ronnie and Marshall Johnston) better assets to work with. And by that I mean: more money to get the players we need, more and better scouts, and most of all stop getting involved with what the scouts want because you want the higher profile prospect. It already cost us Marc Staal by going for the flashy USNDP player. I can only imagine how many other times that has bit us in the ass and how many more times it will continue to do so.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
ZAC DALPE

Position: Centre

Born: 11.1.89

Height: 6’0.5”

Weight: 170
ISS Ranking #20
ISS Nov. Ranking #54
Report Card