2008 NHL Entry Draft: Carolina Hurricanes

wingsfan17

Jan 20, 2008
The kid gave his word. Unless Markell releases him from his word, he should keep his word and go to Ohio State. The "what's better for his development" doesn't even apply in this matter, to me.

I agree (except for the go to osu part). The top 4 players drafted were heading into college right? Oh no, that's right they were from the OHL. Plus they play like twice as many games and don't have to balance as much school work

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I hope they don't put Dalpe into a weird position where he has to choose between the organization and his word. Try to hard sell him and if it doesn't work then go about your business and don't burn your bridges with the player. Lord knows we've seen this before.

canesnecu

Jan 9, 2008
I'd like to think we have a classier fanbase than that. Maybe some of the newer fans who don't understand what the draft means to these kids wouldn't have got it but this was one of the classiest moves I've seen in a while. Their were a few internet bloggers in my section who speculated the reason behind the pick at the time it was made so we did our best to get some applause going. I think a lot of people there hadn't heard about his decision to retire since they were away from computers for the weekend.

Id like to think so too. Its tough enough for this fanbase to get any respect around the league but when one of our own trashes us and thinks so little of us-just sayin

KILLger

Mar 2, 2002
Canada
Visit site
Don't know if it was mentionned before.

Jordan's overall stats aren't impressive, but he looks (statistically speaking) like someone who could be either offensife (Plymouth) or defensive (Windsor).

Nice skating stride, also... from what I could find on him.

Defensemen | League | GP | G | A | Pts | PIM | +/- Michal Jordan | OHL |61|6|22|28|44|2
Michal Jordan | PLY |39|5|17|22|32|-5
Michal Jordan | WIN |22|1|5|6|12|7

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Don't know if it was mentionned before.

Jordan's overall stats aren't impressive, but he looks (statistically speaking) like someone who could be either offensife (Plymouth) or defensive (Windsor).

Nice skating stride, also... from what I could find on him.

One thing to remember is how young he is. He won't turn 18 for another month and this was his first year playing in North America. I remember being very impressed with his play at the world juniors and thinking he could be a good mid round pick for someone.

HughJass*

I agree (except for the go to osu part). The top 4 players drafted were heading into college right? Oh no, that's right they were from the OHL. Plus they play like twice as many games and don't have to balance as much school work

Good for you. Btw, your reply contradicts itself right after you said "I agree". Now "I'm confused".

Last edited by a moderator:

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
I hope they don't put Dalpe into a weird position where he has to choose between the organization and his word. Try to hard sell him and if it doesn't work then go about your business and don't burn your bridges with the player. Lord knows we've seen this before.
There's nothing weird with letting young kids whose dream is to play in the NHL what you think is best for them even if you do so aggressively. If you're referring to JJ, it's a wholly different situation both in terms of the destination and the stage of player development.

More importantly JJ was never asked to go against his word. He only went on record as saying he had committed to two years at UM after he had left and signed with the Kings.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
There's nothing weird with letting young kids whose dream is to play in the NHL what you think is best for them even if you do so aggressively. If you're referring to JJ, it's a wholly different situation both in terms of the destination and the stage of player development.

More importantly JJ was never asked to go against his word. He only went on record as saying he had committed to two years at UM after he had left and signed with the Kings.

Indeed, there was talk, while he was still Canes property, that he could end up spending all 4 years in college. Really it was a total unknown at that point in time. As much as I love Gleason and what he's brought to the table, what a royal ****up that draft was for us. The scouts really didn't do their homework with the league in lockdown.

Johnson refused to sign, yet suddenly he changed his tune about how long he would be in college after he was traded to the Kings. While it doesn't prove the rumors that he would never play for a Karmanos owned team it doesn't do anything to refute them either. He's never said anything about it but actions speak a hell of a lot louder then words.

What a ****ing mistake passing on Marc Staal, who half our scouts wanted to draft, to select the kid Karmanos wanted instead. We would have had absolutely no problems getting Marc in here and playing when we needed a defenseman that urgently in 06-07. I still think Gleason may prove to be the best player from that trade in the long run, but I think Staal will be better then either of them.

Hagemo was an extremely talented US National Team/Minnesota product that had a drug problem that ruined his career.

Joe Barnes has been ECHL fodder.

Jakub Vojta, a talented Czech junior defenseman, poorly transitioned to the North American game after coming over to the OHL and never waranted a contract.

Ondrej Otcenas is the exact kind of pick that makes us hate the nepotisim of the organization.

Tim Kunes is an NCAA defenseman that finally got significant playing time as a junior.

Risto Korhonen was much hyped before his draft year and then fell considerably. I still think he was worth offering a contract to but yet another unsigned Euro by our scouts.

The only two picks that look ANY good for us are our 6th and 7th rounders: Nicolas Blanchard, who looks like he could play in the next couple years as a 4th liner, and Kyle Lawson, who looks like an absolute steal and seems to have #2/3 type defenseman upside.

Thank god the last 3 drafts have been a lot better, although after bringing Marshall Johnston onboard after that draft I am begining to think it's not much of a coincidence that our drafting has turned around big time.

Last edited:

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
Thanks for the scouting report and the offer to keep us updated on him. Really excited about this pick and to see what he can do this upcoming season, hopefully with team Canada even.

Do you happen to know if he was in attendance at the draft? I don't believe he was as there was no movement anywhere when his name was called and I didn't see him at the Carolina table. Just wondering why he wouldn't attend and hoping he's not too down on himself from that Memorial Cup game.
I know that he let me know he was going to try to attend.

That is about all I know, havent talked to him since.

HughJass*

What a ****ing mistake passing on Marc Staal, who half our scouts wanted to draft, to select the kid Karmanos wanted instead.

To be fair, some of us were thinking Marc Staal would have been a good pick, some of us thought Marc Staal would be a reach. I actually remembered who said what, but I'm keeping that for a rainy day. :sarcasm:

Man, Marc Staal would look awesome on our blue line right now.

To be fair about Ondrej Otcenas, he had a good WJC tournament that year so I thought that was a brilliant pick at the time. That draft as a whole looked pretty decent, except for that Hagemo pick because he had injury problems (including a concussion I believe) in high school so I never cared for that selection. The drug problem is news to me....whoah, that's bad. Barnes was a high risk, high reward pick; Vojta was a bad pick, period. Wierd pattern; we like taking European born OHL defensemen.....

Like I was thinking after that Jordan pick: is as if our scouts go sit in a coffee house in Plymouth and just tries to figure out what Karmanos may want. It's getting better, though, but considering all the number of picks we made regarding players from Plymouth throughout the years, we have none of those picks on the roster. JWill was by Philly, LaRose was undrafted. That's hilarious. :D

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
To be fair, some of us were thinking Marc Staal would have been a good pick, some of us thought Marc Staal would be a reach. I actually remembered who said what, but I'm keeping that for a rainy day. :sarcasm:

Man, Marc Staal would look awesome on our blue line right now.:D
I was in the "reach" category but with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, including the stated concerns over JJ even before the draft, trading down in exchange for another pick would have been a good move.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

Man, Marc Staal would look awesome on our blue line right now.

To be fair about Ondrej Otcenas, he had a good WJC tournament that year so I thought that was a brilliant pick at the time. That draft as a whole looked pretty decent, except for that Hagemo pick because he had injury problems (including a concussion I believe) in high school so I never cared for that selection. The drug problem is news to me....whoah, that's bad. Barnes was a high risk, high reward pick; Vojta was a bad pick, period. Wierd pattern; we like taking European born OHL defensemen.....

Like I was thinking after that Jordan pick: is as if our scouts go sit in a coffee house in Plymouth and just tries to figure out what Karmanos may want. It's getting better, though, but considering all the number of picks we made regarding players from Plymouth throughout the years, we have none of those picks on the roster. JWill was by Philly, LaRose was undrafted. That's hilarious. :D

Oh I know for a fact I was sky-high on JJ that year. Kopitar was another one I liked a lot and I was hoping he was who we would pick since I thought there was no way in hell the Ducks would pass on Johnson. I'm trying to remember where I was on Staal, I liked him but I don't think I was nearly as high on him as I am now.

AcidQueen

Joe, Lord of Evil
More importantly JJ was never asked to go against his word.

Yes he was.

He only went on record as saying he had committed to two years at UM after he had left and signed with the Kings.

As I have said before--no, he didn't. That is revisionism borne of (IMO) bitterness. The whole time we held JMFJ's rights, he had said on several occasions through his father that he wanted to stay at UMich at least until the end of his second year.

Last edited:

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Yes he was.

As I have said before--no, he didn't. That is revisionism borne of (IMO) bitterness. The whole time we held JMFJ's rights, he had said on several occasions through his father that he wanted to stay at UMich at least until the end of his second year.
I don't care how many times you or anyone said it. It's simply not true. It has nothing to do with bitterness in my case so please stop assigning sentiments with a broad brush as it only highlights the absence of fact in your position.

In an interview after he signed with the Kings, Jack Johnson stated he had promised Berenson he would stay for two years at Michigan. There were never any comments from the Johnson camp about a commitment of two years. Thus he was never asked to go against his word because he never "revealed" this until he was no longer Canes property.

If the Canes knew he would leave after two years, they would have never traded him. Also if he had promised to stay for at least two years why did Berenson have to announce he was returning for his Sophomore year?

Plans and promises are two distinct things but he did promise Berenson he would graduate. So if you want to contend he was asked to go against his word, then point to a quote while he was still Canes property that indicates there was a promise to Berenson to play for at least two years.

faulkingdynamic

J Troll
Oct 4, 2006
Raleigh NC
Yes he was.

Are you implying that he would have signed with the Canes after year two?? We know that isnt the case. His commitment was one of convinience. The bitterness is due to drafting a top flight talent and then the player refusing to join the organization. Why have draft then, just make all the kids FA?? I agree that facts sometimes get revised due to bitterness but the emotion and the attitude toward JJ is well deserved, although i doubt he cares on bit since he got exactly what he wanted.

Although maybe AQ you can tell me if he got his degree as "promised" by himself and his dad and what the degree was in??

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I will defend Johnson on this one and say he did say, even as far back as the draft, that he had wanted to spend 2 years at Michigan.

Now, we don't know how long he would have stayed in college, he had made some indications that he might want to stay all 4 years with us holding his rights. But he definitely stated that he wanted to spend 2 years at Michigan.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
I will defend Johnson on this one and say he did say, even as far back as the draft, that he had wanted to spend 2 years at Michigan.

Now, we don't know how long he would have stayed in college, he had made some indications that he might want to stay all 4 years with us holding his rights. But he definitely stated that he wanted to spend 2 years at Michigan.
Yes but planning and promising to stay for two years is where his story after the fact smack of weak P.R. spin.

Here is what he said after signing with the Kings:

"I want to bury the Carolina rumor once and for all. My decision not to sign had nothing to do with Carolina’s organization. I made a promise to my coach at Michigan to play 2 seasons, and I wanted to honor my commitment. I grew more as a player and felt ready to make the jump after my sophomore year. I respect the Hurricanes’ decision to make a business decision. They did what they felt was best for their hockey club. I am thrilled to be with the Kings organization."
Source: http://www.letsgokings.com/bbs/f11/jack_johnson_interview-60713.html

As accurately stated earlier his "commitment was one of convenience." This was never stated previously and as pointed out earlier, there would have been no reason for him to inform Berenson that he was returning for his Sophomore season if such a promise had been made.

AcidQueen

Joe, Lord of Evil
Are you implying that he would have signed with the Canes after year two??

Not at all--we don't know what would have happened, because the Hurricanes kept pressing the kid to sign ASAP, and he wouldn't do so.

What I am saying is what I am saying. The Hurricanes were pissed off at JMFJ because he not only refused to leave UMich after his first season there (even though he said that he had from the moment he was drafted that he had promised at least 2 years to the Wolverines), but also because he turned down their offer to come be a part of the Cup run as an observer--the team felt snubbed, the team felt that Disco Dad was encouraging the kid to yank the team around, and so they traded him. Punkt.

Anything more is wishful revisionist thinking/sour grapes on the part of certain individuals.

HughJass*

Yeap, Coach Markell sheds some light about how the Canes do business:

Markell was not thrilled that the Hurricanes selected Dalpe. He told a reporter from the Columbus Dispatch on Saturday that the Hurricanes and Whalers were already trying to talk Dalpe out of going to Ohio State.

“You have to be happy for the kid that he got drafted pretty high up in a really good draft but this is going to be difficult for him,” Markell said. “It makes it tough on him.

Going to prospect camp, he’s going to have to deal with it. They’re the only team in
the league that does that. Most NHL teams wouldn’t do that, but they’ve chosen to do it.

“What’s it going to do to him if they’re constantly interfering. He’s told us he’s coming. He’s put all this time and effort in and they want it to change with the stroke of a pen.

I just want him to be able to do what he wants, go where he wants, and to know that he can develop at our school.

“I know Pete. Business is business. He’s going to do what’s best for his business, but it’s upsetting.”

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080622/SPORTS05/806220643/1053/rss17

You'd think they learned their lesson from the JJ thing. Maybe it had nothing to do with the Ilitch/Karmanos feud but more to the "damn, why don't they just leave me alone?" route.

Btw, sounds like the Canes had Dalpe 16th on the draft board. Yeah, you have to make that choice over Jared Staal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad