2008 Born for the 2024 OHL Draft

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
USA based "Select" team of borderline AAA skaters. These are not players pulled from any of the top 20 USA clubs you see ranked in MHR. This team rarely, if ever, gets out of round robin games every year and so it makes ZERO sense why scouts would want to see a team like that over players born and raised in the Halton or Toronto or more southern Ontario region is beyond me.
That’s not necessarily always true. We’ve seen guys like Coronato, Beecher, Matt Kessel, etc.

Reactions: GetOutDaKitchin

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Interesting OHL Cup wild card results, looking like 2 upsets.
York Simcoe 8 - 1 Cambridge
Niagara 1 - 0 Halton
Upper Canada 1 - 0 JRC

Also Vaughan pushed to OT, and the Marlies lost their first game. Field might be a lot tighter than I thought.

Of note: Ethan Belchetz clocking in at 6'5" and 230 lbs(!), jeez

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: frontsfan67

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Interesting comment by Bill Bowler when he was interviewed Thursday night at the last Spits home game. Not sure if he just messed up the night or not but he said teams would know where they pick Tuesday night? Are the teams made aware of the draw results ahead of the public release on Wednesday night? Seems to be some smoke around how this "draw" takes place? Team fan bases not seeing the actual draw gives the look of special treatment and the opportunity to claim it was rigged? Why not just do it live?

Interesting OHL Cup wild card results, looking like 2 upsets.
York Simcoe 8 - 1 Cambridge
Niagara 1 - 0 Halton
Upper Canada 1 - 0 JRC

Also Vaughan and the Marlies lost their first games. Field might be a lot tighter than I thought.

Of note: Ethan Belchetz clocking in at 6'5" and 230 lbs(!), jeez
Yes Belchetz will look good playing against the Soo for Windsor!

Reactions: OHLTG

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
at 6’5, 230 putting up the points he has been. How is he not the consensus #1 pick? That’s absolutely insane. We have 3 guys at the top wassilyn Valentini and Belchetz which would be first overall picks in a lot of other years by the sounds of it

Reactions: Section5Petes

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Interesting comment by Bill Bowler when he was interviewed Thursday night at the last Spits home game. Not sure if he just messed up the night or not but he said teams would know where they pick Tuesday night? Are the teams made aware of the draw results ahead of the public release on Wednesday night? Seems to be some smoke around how this "draw" takes place? Team fan bases not seeing the actual draw gives the look of special treatment and the opportunity to claim it was rigged? Why not just do it live?

When I see someone this age listed at 6'5 230, I have to ask - is that from training or does he need training? That's a monster, which could be good or bad.

Reactions: Section5Petes

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
Toronto marlboros parents/players/coaches acting exactly like I'd expect a team from Toronto to act.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

he could have misspoke

Dark horse in the draft Colin Fitzgerald u 16 Pete's .
in what sense? his name is being thrown out there for some teams in the top 10, i dont see that as a darkhorse

Toronto marlboros parents/players/coaches acting exactly like I'd expect a team from Toronto to act.
huh? what does that have to do with the ohl draft? take the parent drama elsewhere please

at 6’5, 230 putting up the points he has been. How is he not the consensus #1 pick? That’s absolutely insane. We have 3 guys at the top wassilyn Valentini and Belchetz which would be first overall picks in a lot of other years by the sounds of it
i think he is, just not by twitter scouts, so take that as you will

Reactions: frontsfan67

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
he could have misspoke

in what sense? his name is being thrown out there for some teams in the top 10, i dont see that as a darkhorse

huh? what does that have to do with the ohl draft? take the parent drama elsewhere please

i think he is, just not by twitter scouts, so take that as you will

I assure you I'm not a parent, but I understand what you're saying.

digicamo

Mar 31, 2023
Team TPH is looking better than most years. I know it's just one game, but in their game vs YSE right now, they are looking good. Thoughts?
It's been great to see them perform well in their first two games, especially against #8 ranked YSE. They will never have the biggest names as they only pull from kids that attend their academies across the US but there are a few kids on that team that I'm sure scouts are watching, including the younger brother of this year's OHL scoring champion.

Krangers08

Sep 11, 2023
Seems like there might be quite a bit of “flyers” this year.
Recent Malhotra article in the Toronto star.
“School is important to him and the verbal offers from U.S. schools have been plentiful”
“Nyman has committed to the Penticton Vees of the BCHL, while Hage has been tendered and signed by the Chicago Steel of the USHL.”

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
It's been great to see them perform well in their first two games, especially against #8 ranked YSE. They will never have the biggest names as they only pull from kids that attend their academies across the US but there are a few kids on that team that I'm sure scouts are watching, including the younger brother of this year's OHL scoring champion.
They have a lot of bigger names on this year's team. Lots of players from Compuware, Honeybaked, Oakland Jr. Grizzlies, St. Louis Blues, and Nashville Jr. Predators. You don't usually see guys from Compuware, Honeybaked, or Oakland on that team but the league that they were in the High Performance Hockey League (HPHL) stopped play for the 2023-2024 season. I have to wonder whether some of those players were looking for more exposure with that happening

the dog

May 16, 2014
Seems like there might be quite a bit of “flyers” this year.
Recent Malhotra article in the Toronto star.
“School is important to him and the verbal offers from U.S. schools have been plentiful”
“Nyman has committed to the Penticton Vees of the BCHL, while Hage has been tendered and signed by the Chicago Steel of the USHL.”

[QUOTE="Krangers08, post: 19462910...-e5f2-11ee-9e87-038d94f053c2.amp.html[/QUOTE]
Have article where Zachary Nyman is committed to BCHL
-hes-not-so/article_67b0cd24-e5f2-11ee-9e87-038d94f053c2.amp.html[/URL]

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
I know this isn't a draft lottery thread haha, but was wondering if anyone knows if Sarnia (who's 4th) can move to 2nd or 3rd or if they can only get to 1 or stay put.

Appreciate this thread a lot also. Definitely keep a lot of ppl in the loop, especially myself haha.

Knownothing

Nov 1, 2022
BCHL, not USHL
I say he’s likely following in the footsteps of Bonk and Cowan hoping other teams will layoff and land in London. George too for that matter. Teams and league have to wise up to that and have players that commit to other leagues ineligible for the OHL draft.

I could be wrong of course

Reactions: bobber

JuniorHockeyInsider

Nov 22, 2008
I know this isn't a draft lottery thread haha, but was wondering if anyone knows if Sarnia (who's 4th) can move to 2nd or 3rd or if they can only get to 1 or stay put.

Appreciate this thread a lot also. Definitely keep a lot of ppl in the loop, especially myself haha.
Nymans family are originally from BC. From what I know, it looks to be a pretty solid commit. Having said that, aanything can happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad