2008/2009 Endorsements

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007
I've always liked the idea of abolishing the point targets altogether and going with something like top 3 in assists for a defenceman in the season (top 5 might be too easy)... That way we wouldn't have to re-adjust these point targets every time.

That's a good thought though I would suggest top 5. Given how many guys qualify every year for the Mountain Dew award 5 is still a tougher bar.

Thoughts Abbas?

Dryden

Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
question about finances

Say a team like the Jackets or any financially troubled team for that matter, are in the negative balance for a point during the season but clearly would qualify for endorsement revenue that will put them back in positive bank balance, would that GM still be at risk for losing his team?

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Say a team like the Jackets or any financially troubled team for that matter, are in the negative balance for a point during the season but clearly would qualify for endorsement revenue that will put them back in positive bank balance, would that GM still be at risk for losing his team?

This has been part of my argument re: reform of the endorsements.. The teams this could help the most are the least likely to be able to participate.

Last year the Flames applied for no endorsements though they probably would have made many if not most of them because there was no cash in the bank. This year I had to apply or I would never get ahead but boy its gonna be a close call with me spending that two million to start the season.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site

The general rule is that if you run out of money, you lose your team, subject to a certain amount of notice.

That said (and this is just one admin members opinion), if it were late in the year and the team was only running a slightly negative projected balance that included dipping into the negative at some point, the general manager could make a formal appeal to keep their team based on a couple of things, (1) the team was clearly going to make the playoffs and some amount of playoff revenue was assured (although this could be as little as $1.5 million), and/or (2) the team clearly had already achieved or was going to achieve one or more endorsements at the end of the year that would more than cover short-term losses.

Think of it like approaching a bank manager. The bank manager has to decide the probability of getting his money back, so this is by no means a certainty.

That said, no team should plan on running close to zero, and if your early season projected balance is anywhere near negative after 10 games or so, I'd suggest immediate major changes so you can keep your team. And yes, that makes it tougher to run a team, but that's all the more reason team's need to be fiscally responsible, otherwise you're behind the 8 ball in the future compared to your competitors.

TorontoGM

Nov 10, 2005
That's a good thought though I would suggest top 5. Given how many guys qualify every year for the Mountain Dew award 5 is still a tougher bar.

Thoughts Abbas?

I think it is worthwhile to review all of the endorsements, this year with the help of Brock and Tony, we reviewed the MD endorsement. Perhaps next year we should look at the individual player endorsements and adjust them to better reflect current situations.

Dryden

Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
blackhawks endorsements

5. Local Radio Network Deal
Criteria: Team must finish the regular season with an average attendance of 75% capacity.
Cost Fee: $1,000,000
Revenue: $2,000,000

Mountain Due
Eligibility:
1/ the player must be 21 years or younger as of Sept 30th, 2008.
2/ the player must have played in less than 40 NHL games during their career
3/ the player must remain unsigned and on the team’s prospec

Revenue: $1,000,000 - $4,000,000

HFNHL Canadiens

Aug 12, 2004
Guelph
Montreal Endorsements

Mountain Due
Eligibility:
3/ the player must remain unsigned and on the team’s prospec

Revenue: $1,000,000 - $4,000,000

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
I may have missed this somewhere as I've been kind of out of the loop lately, but what date is the cutoff the the age sensitive endorsements? Start of the season, or end of the season?

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
Assuming Kovalchuk is eligible for the Powerade endorsement - he is 25 right now but turns 26 in April - here the NY Rangers endorsements. If Kovalchuk is not eligible (personally I don't see why he wouldn't be, given the age cutoff date for Mountain Dew is Sept 30), I'll go with the Gatorade endorsement instead.

ABC Sports Deal
Criteria: Team must finish the regular season with an average attendance of 80% capacity.
Revenue: $2,500,000

PowerAde
Player’s team CANNOT endorse Pepsi Cola Company
Criteria: Team must have a player 25 or younger who scores 25 or more goals in the regular season.

Mountain Due
Eligibility:
3/ the player must remain unsigned and on the team’s prospect list
Criteria: Must have a prospect who accomplishes one of the following:

Fee: $1 million
Revenue: $1 million per player qualified (limit of one award per individual player and to a maximum of $4 million)

TOTALS
Fees: $3,000,000
Potential Revenue: $9,000,000

TorontoGM

Nov 10, 2005
You still have time Greg. Also the cutoff date for Mountain Due is Sept 30th.

Sean Kovalchuk is eligible for 1 more year

AC

SensGod

Feb 27, 2002
Scotia Bank Place
Visit site
Dallas Stars endorsments:

Local Radio Network Deal

KOHO
Cost Fee: $2,000,000
Revenue: $4,000,000

GM Motor Company
Revenue: $3,000,000

Ford Motor Company
Cost Fee: $1,500,000

Total Cost: $5,500,000
Potential Payout: $12,000,000

(Can i have GM and Ford at the same time??? If not...I'll swap out GM for the Gatorade endorsement)

Mandaou

Mar 6, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Flyers Deals

Broadcast Deals

TSN “Total Sports Network†Deal
Criteria: Team must finish the regular season with an average attendance of 85% capacity.
Revenue: $3,500,000

Merchandise Deals

NIKE
American Teams Only
Criteria: Team must make the playoffs and win 1st round series.

Team Endorsements

Ford Motor Company
Criteria: Team must finish the regular season with a .500 or better home record.

GM Motor Company
Criteria: Team must finish the regular season with a .500 or better road record.

If either or both Ford and GM go bankrupt will the endorsements be guaranteed or do we need to buy insurance....oops who would we use for insurance!!! :sarcasm:

TorontoGM

Nov 10, 2005
If either or both Ford and GM go bankrupt will the endorsements be guaranteed or do we need to buy insurance....oops who would we use for insurance!!! :sarcasm:

The St. Louis Blues have generously volunteered to back Ford and GM

Default101

The general rule is that if you run out of money, you lose your team, subject to a certain amount of notice.

That said (and this is just one admin members opinion), if it were late in the year and the team was only running a slightly negative projected balance that included dipping into the negative at some point, the general manager could make a formal appeal to keep their team based on a couple of things, (1) the team was clearly going to make the playoffs and some amount of playoff revenue was assured (although this could be as little as $1.5 million), and/or (2) the team clearly had already achieved or was going to achieve one or more endorsements at the end of the year that would more than cover short-term losses.

Think of it like approaching a bank manager. The bank manager has to decide the probability of getting his money back, so this is by no means a certainty.

That said, no team should plan on running close to zero, and if your early season projected balance is anywhere near negative after 10 games or so, I'd suggest immediate major changes so you can keep your team. And yes, that makes it tougher to run a team, but that's all the more reason team's need to be fiscally responsible, otherwise you're behind the 8 ball in the future compared to your competitors.
Thats why i get to the point where new gm's deserve financial stability, i think im starting to get some stability, but i was at like 1M when i started the league, so that would have suggested that i would have been fired if i didn't find a way to build on that mil. and i did and it cost me in the developmental process cause i could probably be further along if i wasn't in such a weak financial state, and it should be given to gm's when we bring them in if the teams are below a certain point.

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002
Ducks Endorsements

Local Radio Network Deal
Criteria: Team must finish the regular season with an average attendance of 75% capacity.

PowerAde
Player’s team CANNOT endorse Pepsi Cola Company
Criteria: Team must have a player 25 or younger who scores 25 or more goals in the regular season.

Mountain Due
Eligibility:
3/ the player must remain unsigned and on the team’s prospect list
Criteria: Must have a prospect who accomplishes one of the following:
Revenue: $1 million per player qualified (limit of one award per individual player and to a maximum of $4 million)

Total Cost: $3,000,000
Potential Payout: $8,500,000

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Minnesota signs up for:

ABC Sports Deal
Criteria: Team must finish the regular season with an average attendance of 80% capacity.

Ford Motor Company
Criteria: Team must finish the regular season with a .500 or better home record.

Master Lock
Criteria: Team must finish the regular season with a penalty kill percentage of 87% or top 5 penalty killing unit.
Revenue: $3,500,000

Mountain Due

Total pay-$4,000,000
Potenial pay-$13,000,000

Pandastyle

This note was found on the vacated GM desk of the Edmonton Oilers....

---------------------

The Edmonton Oilers would like to sign up for the following endorsement deals for the upcoming 2008/2009 season:

Broadcast Deal - ABC Sports Deal (Cost Fee: $1,000,000) - Note to my successor: Cut prices! Average attendance last year was 73% with a $50 ticket price, probably should drop tickets to $40

Merchandise Deal - Bauer (Cost Fee: $1,000,000)

Team Endorsement - GM Motor Company (Cost Fee: $1,000,000) - Of the 8 West playoff teams last season, 7 had more wins on the road than they did at home....interesting.

Team Endorsement - Coca-Cola (Cost Fee: $1,000,000)

Total Cost: $4,000,000

Best of luck.

-Andrew, now former Edmonton General Manager

TorontoGM

Nov 10, 2005
Toronto Signs up for the following

Local Radio Network Deal

Ford Motor Company

GM Motor Company
Criteria: Team must finish the regular season with a .500 or better road record.

Mountain Due
Cost: 1,000,000

Andrew Chang-Sang

Nov 28, 2002
Visit site
Washington endorsement

Mountain Dew

Total Cost: $1,000,000
Total Payout: $4,000,000

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Thats why i get to the point where new gm's deserve financial stability, i think im starting to get some stability, but i was at like 1M when i started the league, so that would have suggested that i would have been fired if i didn't find a way to build on that mil. and i did and it cost me in the developmental process cause i could probably be further along if i wasn't in such a weak financial state, and it should be given to gm's when we bring them in if the teams are below a certain point.

I hear what you are saying and personally feel some flexibility should be given to your franchise if necessary, but I'd still plan to keep your head above water.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad