2007 Born for the 2023 Draft

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
It‘s not so difficult to understand - guess northerners don’t like to hear that their third overall pick second guessed joining the team? People can change their minds, ya’know.
northerners don't like self professed "insiders" :)

guys like you are a dime a dozen on message boards and social media. keep swinging bud!

Last edited:

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
northerners don't like self professed "insiders" :)

guys like you are a dime a dozen on message boards and social media. keep swinging bud!
I've got no skin in the game but I'm struggling to see what the big deal is even if Martin did waffle - players choosing their spot is not an uncommon thing to happen, and he ended up coming to the Soo so there's no harm no foul.

Some people on here obviously have connections, and it feel like a weird thing to make up, especially when multiple people are saying the same thing...

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
I've got no skin in the game but I'm struggling to see what the big deal is even if Martin did waffle - players choosing their spot is not an uncommon thing to happen, and he ended up coming to the Soo so there's no harm no foul.

Some people on here obviously have connections, and it feel like a weird thing to make up, especially when multiple people are saying the same thing...

This entire thing started because I called the rumours he would never come to the Soo "speculation" and "hearsay". As it turned out, it was!

Last edited:

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
This entire thing started because I called the rumours he would never come to the Soo "speculation" and "hearsay". As it turned out, it was!

I'll ignore this thread from now on, these Darren Dreger insider wannabes are saaaaaaaad.

Wasn't the post in question that he was not sure about going to the Soo and preferred a few different spots closer to home?

+1 on this. Expecially given every other post on the draft turned out to be correct. He was right about all the other stuff but made up the 1? Come on.

I think its probably very common for players to 'waffle' it happened with our 1st round pick this year. Why all the complaining or crying?

Reminds me of another high end Waterloo Wolves player taken in the 1st round of the OHL draft.

Micheal Latta made it known that he would only play for either Kitchener or Guelph. Same thing as Martin. He wanted to play close to his home (St Clements). This is 100% fact. Members of my family are tight with the Latta’s.

Ottawa gambled and took him anyway as they picked ahead of the Rangers and Storm. He was too good a player to pass on. The Latta camp was irate. But this was before the introduction of the current defective player rule. So it was either report to Ottawa or hold out for a trade in January.

Not wanting to play at a lower level until January, Kilrea and the Latta camp came to the agreement that he’d try it in Ottawa, and if he didn’t like it, they’d deal him to either Kitchener or Guelph.

Eventually, Kilrea granted him his wish and made the calls to the Rangers and Storm. Both would have loved to have Latta in their lineup. Both would have drafted him in the 1st round. But the Rangers were all in on the ‘08 Memorial Cup and couldn’t part with assets for a younger player. So he was traded to Guelph.

I didn’t want to bring this up earlier but the Martin situation seems eerily similar to the Latta situation. Not saying it is either. I have no idea. No inside info.

But based on his wishes to play close to home, it wouldn’t surprise me if he was signed under a similar agreement with the Soo, that Latta had with the 67’s. It would explain his unexpected about face signing with the Soo.

Time will tell I guess.
Joey Hishon tells the same story, he had a deal done with the Kitchener Rangers and Owen Sound called his bluff.

Knox Overstreet

Jun 10, 2023
Hey all been following this thread for months, you all have some great insights. Wondering if anyone has heard or if it’s even possible that a scout was fired for a particularly bad draft pick this year? Can’t just be one guys fault.

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
Hey all been following this thread for months, you all have some great insights. Wondering if anyone has heard or if it’s even possible that a scout was fired for a particularly bad draft pick this year? Can’t just be one guys fault.

Whats the context to the question? I see you posted it in the North Bay thread as well?

Bad draft pick? Like will not report? Bad kid, bad player?

Knox Overstreet

Jun 10, 2023
Absolutely. Also wondering with all the discussions about parents buying draft picks that they wanted to avoid any hint of a scandal and just quietly let this guy go? Pure speculation on my part by the way I have no inside information. Could have just been end of his contract too.

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
Absolutely. Also wondering with all the discussions about parents buying draft picks that they wanted to avoid any hint of a scandal and just quietly let this guy go? Pure speculation on my part by the way I have no inside information. Could have just been end of his contract too.
No one knows what your talking about thou. What team, what scout? Its a bit clock and dager?

Knox Overstreet

Jun 10, 2023
Sorry not deliberately trying to be secretive. I asked the question in the North Bay thread first. People in my town have been chirping about this for weeks so I wanted to try and verify the story. Some people just get bored when there’s no games so it’s likely just some rink rats stirring the pot. For what it’s worth the story is a scout from North Bay but no name was given. His pick was a bust at prospect camp then suddenly he’s no longer with the club. That’s it that’s all I know. Just thought it seemed unlikely that one guy would take the fall for a bad showing by a prospect. Any insights are welcome I would like to set these guys straight if they’re taking shit.

Hockeyfan1980

Jun 5, 2022
The draft was full of questionable picks. No opinion vs opinion, if you had eyesight you could’ve told the difference. Some very good players fell like a stone or weren’t taken at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad