2007 Born for the 2023 Draft

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Ontario kids keep going to the USHL/NCAA. I think that the priority selection needs to change. Look at OHL players in the 2023 NHL Draft. Quite the fall from grace. Players need to have more control of which OHL franchise they go to so the bad franchises don’t get first dibs on the most talented players.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Ontario kids keep going to the USHL/NCAA. I think that the priority selection needs to change. Look at OHL players in the 2023 NHL Draft. Quite the fall from grace. Players need to have more control of which OHL franchise they go to so the bad franchises don’t get first dibs on the most talented players.
The league would slowly dissipate if the top few franchises picked up all the top players. It would create two tiers of hockey. It's already happening to a certain extent. Players already send out letters to franchises not to draft them. Also fans of the franchises would lose interest in a hurry if this was to take place. I certainly wouldn't buy a season ticket from a team knowing they would never get any skilled players coming into the league.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
The league would slowly dissipate if the top few franchises picked up all the top players. It would create two tiers of hockey. It's already happening to a certain extent. Players already send out letters to franchises not to draft them. Also fans of the franchises would lose interest in a hurry if this was to take place. I certainly wouldn't buy a season ticket from a team knowing they would never get any skilled players coming into the league.
And before you know it, the league would be down to around 14 teams.

Reactions: bobber

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I get that it’s a delicate balance. At the same time, I don’t know any other amateur sporting league that subjects players to be compelled towards certain teams for the sake of competitive balance. I think the major junior leagues have been able to get away with it for so long because that was the only path to the nhl more or less for a long time. But the times are changing. The thought of potential first and second overall picks from Ontario going to play USHL -> NCAA would have been unfathomable twenty years ago, but I imagine the ability to control that they want to go play for the Chicago Steel and then University of Michigan plays a big role as they are committing to specific teams, not the leagues as a whole. Whereas if they go to the OHL, they are subject to playing out the next few years at whatever last place team picks high in the priority selection that year.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I get that it’s a delicate balance. At the same time, I don’t know any other amateur sporting league that subjects players to be compelled towards certain teams for the sake of competitive balance. I think the major junior leagues have been able to get away with it for so long because that was the only path to the nhl more or less for a long time. But the times are changing. The thought of potential first and second overall picks from Ontario going to play USHL -> NCAA would have been unfathomable twenty years ago, but I imagine the ability to control that they want to go play for the Chicago Steel and then University of Michigan plays a big role as they are committing to specific teams, not the leagues as a whole. Whereas if they go to the OHL, they are subject to playing out the next few years at whatever last place team picks high in the priority selection that year.
Not that many top Ontario players go to the US. Players and their agents try to manipulate the draft by using the US option as a lever to get drafted by a specific team. If the really are committed to going to the US programs no one is really stopping them. All the more power to them. Let them go. The CHL is the best junior league in the world IMO. This league won't last long by what you are suggesting here. Teams in the north and some struggling teams in southern Ontario would not exist for long. The NHL like the OHL has a draft lottery to try and balance the league and allow the top picks to bolster line ups of teams that fail to make the play offs. I would suggest the league be proactive and try to do something constructive about the massive manipulation going on now.
As as a fan of the OHL I could care less about US programs.

Reactions: Bra Wavers

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
No the post was that he didn't want to report to the Soo. Goal post was moved about 5 times after that.

Last player TO BE ANNOUNCED as signed...

Maybe the 'goal posts' moved because the player warmed up to it?

Its not like the guy posted inaccurate items in the past, he was 11 for 11 in the draft and i think he's posted trades before they happen.

It kind of makes sense to me to be honest, if it was another poster I may agree with you, but he's always posted very accurate information.

At this point, why does it matter?

Last edited:

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
Not that many top Ontario players go to the US. Players and their agents try to manipulate the draft by using the US option as a lever to get drafted by a specific team. If the really are committed to going to the US programs no one is really stopping them. All the more power to them. Let them go. The CHL is the best junior league in the world IMO. This league won't last long by what you are suggesting here. Teams in the north and some struggling teams in southern Ontario would not exist for long. The NHL like the OHL has a draft lottery to try and balance the league and allow the top picks to bolster line ups of teams that fail to make the play offs. I would suggest the league be proactive and try to do something constructive about the massive manipulation going on now.
As as a fan of the OHL I could care less about US programs.
To fix the option or threat of going US route, all U16 prospects and agents must declare ahead of draft their preferred direction or destination. If you don’t commit to OHL/CHL you’re not eligible to be drafted as your name will not be on the list. Declaring you are a US Commit only to be selected by a team later in draft has to stop. IMO

Reactions: HF92

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
Maybe the 'goal posts' moved because the player warmed up to it?

Its not like the guy posted inaccurate items in the past, he was 11 for 11 in the draft and i think he's posted trades before they happen.

It kind of makes sense to me to be honest, if it was another poster I may agree with you, but he's always posted very accurate information.

At this point, why does it matter?

It was inaccurate at the time, and I said that. It does matter. Posters on this site shut down any notion that someone else may have information. You said it " It's not like the guy posted inaccurate items in the past". Anyone who argued against it got shat on, and it turned out to be 100% false and was also false at the moment.

Funny how " why does it matter" comes up now but had he not reported or signed you bet your bottom dollar you, and everyone else, would be here to rub each others back....

Was dead wrong from day 1, no matter what way you shape it. He got it wrong.

Like your theory on it is.. " he's been 100% accurate in the past, so he can never be wrong in the future" LOL.

Last edited:

Logosarejusttargets

Jan 3, 2023
It was inaccurate at the time, and I said that. It does matter. Posters on this site shut down any notion that someone else may have information. You said it " It's not like the guy posted inaccurate items in the past". Anyone who argued against it got shat on, and it turned out to be 100% false and was also false at the moment.

Funny how " why does it matter" comes up now but had he not reported or signed you bet your bottom dollar you, and everyone else, would be here to rub each others back....

Like your theory on it is.. " he's been 100% accurate in the past, so he can never be wrong in the future" LOL.
It would be refreshing if we kept posts to discussion around the teams ineffective power play, or fantastic transitional play, maybe the teams tendency to give up early goals or late penalties every game as opposed to what a teenager is thinking or comments about their character but that's probably just pissing in the wind on this forum eh?

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
To fix the option or threat of going US route, all U16 prospects and agents must declare ahead of draft their preferred direction or destination. If you don’t commit to OHL/CHL you’re not eligible to be drafted as your name will not be on the list. Declaring you are a US Commit only to be selected by a team later in draft has to stop. IMO
The elite can and will choose where they play, better London than Chicago I think.
Losing 2nd-3rd round OHL talent to the US is what has to stop imo. Instead of drawing a hard line for student 1st/athlete 2nd, try to get owners willing to increase gold education packages from 7 to 10 per team.

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
The elite can and will choose where they play, better London than Chicago I think.
Losing 2nd-3rd round OHL talent to the US is what has to stop imo. Instead of drawing a hard line for student 1st/athlete 2nd, try to get owners willing to increase gold education packages from 7 to 10 per team.
Great point/idea…

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019

But just because you say something doesn't make it correct either.

To be fair, if I compare both posters and their history of success or failure on posts and predictions, you are not in the lead on that.

End of the day the Soo got their guy, evidently a fantastic player, who cares anything more then that?
'
martin, addy and moore are the ones that still may not report, well see. martin is still on the fence but its said he will give them every opportunity to sign him. he didnt want to and still not sure he does, but he probably will respect the draft. addy was going to prep school so surprised os took him, its a win for them if he signs. assime he will if they took him that high, i think moore is at least a year away from joining london but who knows.'

That was the day of the draft?

I can say for sure that Dale DeGray noted that Addy was not a sure thing when they drafted him, so that part of it was accurate, and Moore has yet to sign.

Im not sure what the issue with the post is? He seems to suggest that he would sign, may not be his first choice but 'will respect the draft'.

OHLFAN2001

Apr 22, 2023
But just because you say something doesn't make it correct either.

To be fair, if I compare both posters and their history of success or failure on posts and predictions, you are not in the lead on that.

End of the day the Soo got their guy, evidently a fantastic player, who cares anything more then that?
'
martin, addy and moore are the ones that still may not report, well see. martin is still on the fence but its said he will give them every opportunity to sign him. he didnt want to and still not sure he does, but he probably will respect the draft. addy was going to prep school so surprised os took him, its a win for them if he signs. assime he will if they took him that high, i think moore is at least a year away from joining london but who knows.'

That was the day of the draft?

I can say for sure that Dale DeGray noted that Addy was not a sure thing when they drafted him, so that part of it was accurate, and Moore has yet to sign.

Im not sure what the issue with the post is? He seems to suggest that he would sign, may not be his first choice but 'will respect the draft'.
I believe Martin and Addy had already signed before the time of this post

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
I was lambasted for calling out rumours on Martin as being speculation. It was LITERALLY the definition of speculation but some of our posters wanted their words to be treated as gospel!

I will gladly accept any apologies from those "insiders" who got angry and resorted to ad hominems when I dared to challenge their assertions, but as @Hfp92 already said, our resident "experts" don't admit they were wrong, they just move the goalposts to suit their prognostications - in the hounds thread we call that "a Fischhaber".

:naughty:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: dirty12 and HF92

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
It was WRONG. Invalid info from the start.

It's in the past let's move on and enjoy this amazing core of rookies the entire league will benefit from watching!!
No, it wasn’t wrong.

Martin didn’t want to go to the Soo, but the Soo were always going to take him calling his bluff - there is legit reciepts of this… The Soo called his bluff and won, on the day of the draft, Martin caved and agreed to report.

It‘s not so difficult to understand - guess northerners don’t like to hear that their third overall pick second guessed joining the team? People can change their minds, ya’know.

At the end of the day, you got a talented kid that should finally help the Soo do something in the playoffs.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
At the end of the day, you got a talented kid that should finally help the Soo do something in the playoffs.
Soo have been doing something in the playoffs quite a bit over the last 10 years. Hopefully, he helps finally push us past just something , and into the everything territory.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
No, it wasn’t wrong.

Martin didn’t want to go to the Soo, but the Soo were always going to take him calling his bluff - there is legit reciepts of this… The Soo called his bluff and won, on the day of the draft, Martin caved and agreed to report.

It‘s not so difficult to understand - guess northerners don’t like to hear that their third overall pick second guessed joining the team? People can change their minds, ya’know.

Reminds me of another high end Waterloo Wolves player taken in the 1st round of the OHL draft.

Micheal Latta made it known that he would only play for either Kitchener or Guelph. Same thing as Martin. He wanted to play close to his home (St Clements). This is 100% fact. Members of my family are tight with the Latta’s.

Ottawa gambled and took him anyway as they picked ahead of the Rangers and Storm. He was too good a player to pass on. The Latta camp was irate. But this was before the introduction of the current defective player rule. So it was either report to Ottawa or hold out for a trade in January.

Not wanting to play at a lower level until January, Kilrea and the Latta camp came to the agreement that he’d try it in Ottawa, and if he didn’t like it, they’d deal him to either Kitchener or Guelph.

Eventually, Kilrea granted him his wish and made the calls to the Rangers and Storm. Both would have loved to have Latta in their lineup. Both would have drafted him in the 1st round. But the Rangers were all in on the ‘08 Memorial Cup and couldn’t part with assets for a younger player. So he was traded to Guelph.

I didn’t want to bring this up earlier but the Martin situation seems eerily similar to the Latta situation. Not saying it is either. I have no idea. No inside info.

But based on his wishes to play close to home, it wouldn’t surprise me if he was signed under a similar agreement with the Soo, that Latta had with the 67’s. It would explain his unexpected about face signing with the Soo.

Time will tell I guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bra Wavers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad