2006 Olympic Rosters(non-Canada)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
cyclops said:
i heard nurminen got hurt and his career may be over................his knees i guess.

Yes, but that's Pasi Nurminen the goalie and not Teppo Numminen the d-man. Teppo plays for Buffalo Sabres this season.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
mattihp said:
Lehtinen - Koivu - Selänne
J.Jokinen - Jokinen - T.Ruutu
Hentunen - N.Kapanen - S.Kapanen
Nieminen - Nokelainen - J.Ruutu
(Hagman)

Salo - Timonen
Pitkänen - Väänänen
Numminen - Karalahti

(Lydman)

Lehtonen
Toskala

(Norrena)
Finland:

F
Tuomo Ruutu
Saku Koivu
Jere Lehtinen
Sami Kapanen
Jarkko Ruutu
Ville Nieminen
Petteri Nokelainen
Olli Jokinen
Niklas Hagman
Niko Kapanen
Jukka Hentunen
Jussi Jokinen
Teemu Selänne

D
Ossi Väänänen
Teppo Numminen
Kimmo Timonen
Sami Salo
Jere Karalahti
Joni Pitkänen
Toni Lydman

GK
Kari Lehtonen
Vesa Toskala
Fredrik Norrena

I would add Antti Laaksonen to the list of potential forwards at Turin. Maybe Jussi Markkanen could make it in the goalie department. I am not too sure Toskala or Norrena would be better choices.

Aki Berg

Jul 3, 2005
Aki-ville
mattihp said:
D
Ossi Väänänen
Teppo Numminen
Kimmo Timonen
Sami Salo
Jere Karalahti
Joni Pitkänen
Toni Lydman

So Finland's going to go into a world class international tournament without their anchor on D??

:biglaugh:

Don't think so.

Might want to add Aki to that list if Finland is thinking about winning a medal.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Aki Berg said:
So Finland's going to go into a world class international tournament without their anchor on D??

:biglaugh:

Don't think so.

Might want to add Aki to that list if Finland is thinking about winning a medal.

But of course! First we just need to lose that lazy, under-achieving bum Kimmo Timonen ;)

The_Dominator*

ferns8916 said:
Here is my prediction as of right now for Czech Republic:

Forwards:
Jaromir Jagr
Patrik Elias
Milan Hejduk
Petr Sykora
Martin Havlat
Robert Lang
Martin Rucinsky
Martin Straka
Vaclav Prospal
Petr Cajanek
David Vyborny
Josef Vasicek
Robert Reichel

Defensemen:
Roman Hamrlik
Jaroslav Modry
Pavel Kubina
Marek Malik
Tomas Kaberle
Marek Zidlicky
Jaroslav Spacek

Goaltenders:
Tomas Vokoun
Dominik Hasek
Roman Cechmanek

Drop Reichel and put Hemsky there. I think Reichel retired?

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
Here is the team RUSSIA i'd like to see at the Olympics:

Samsonov------------Fedorov-------------Kovalev
Frolov----------------Datsyuk-------------Kovalchuk
Ovechkin--------------Malkin------------- Afinogenov
Vik.Kozlov-------------Yashin--------------Zherdev
-Brylin(Antipov)

A.Markov-----------Gonchar
D.Markov-----------Volchenkov
Malakhov-----------Tyutin
-Vishnevsky

Khabibulin
-Nabokov
-Bryzgalov

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Based on NHL play up to this point here's who I would have on the U.S. squad:

Forwards:

Tkachuk-Modano-Guerin
Malone-Weight-Parrish
Knuble-Gomez-Gionta
Cole-Conroy-Rolston

Defense:

Leetch-Miller
Schneider-Leopold
Mara-Liles
Rafalski-Carney

Goaltenders:

DiPietro
Esche
Miller

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Rabid Ranger said:
Based on NHL play up to this point here's who I would have on the U.S. squad:

Forwards:

Tkachuk-Modano-Guerin
Malone-Weight-Parrish
Knuble-Gomez-Gionta
Cole-Conroy-Rolston

Defense:

Leetch-Miller
Schneider-Leopold
Mara-Liles
Rafalski-Carney

Goaltenders:

DiPietro
Esche
Miller

I was waiting for an updated list from you Ranger! That last list you did, was pretty rough on the eyes!! anyways. I think that is a better team, but I have some different guys that I would choose. I will say I am tired of reading these fools just completely disregard this US team as crap. This might not be 96' or 02' for that matter, but a 6th place finish? This team is better then the 04' World Cup team, and will surprise a bunch of people and medal. I am not saying we are a gold medal team, but we definitely can take home the silver because outside of Canada, everyone has their flaws.

Forwards
Keith Tkachuk-needs to show desire again and regain best powerforward status
Mike Modano-showing that he is still amazing to watch, few are better then Mod
Bill Guerin-having a solid year, will reach 40 goals by years end, true leader
Jeremy Roenick-cant see him not being on this team, he is American hockey
Dustin Brown- the new blood era begins with this stud, having great rookie year
Mike Knuble-takes over for Deadmarsh, finally gets his chance to shine for US
Doug Weight-very few are better then Weight with playmaking ability, might be C
Erik Cole-again more new blood, earning his spot on this team, future 40 goal PF
Brian Gionta-need his speed and talent, never gives in, Fleury like heart w/out probl
Ryan Malone-having great second year despite numbers, future power forward stud
Scott Gomez-best playmaker in the league, slow start, always finishes strong
Brian Rolston-speedster, plays all-around game, need this energy guy for tourney
Zach Parise-so-so start, will only get better, he will be on this team, new blood
(Craig Conroy-spare, does everything right, very underated, great player to have as emergency)

Defense
Brian Leetch-should be C, still has so much talent, American leader
Mathieu Schneider-just like Leetch, need his leadership, talent, and experience
J-M Liles-stud! has all the tools, making a case for Norris trophy early on
Jordan Leopold-not scoring yet, but has all the tools, future of US team on D
Paul Mara-finally showing talent and why he was a high draft pick, great shot!
Ryan Whitney-kid has it all, will make strong case for Rok of year by years end
Chris Chelios-why not! still battles and doesnt look bad, guy is immortal and leader
Bryan Berard/Tim Gleason-either way both have earned it so far. Berard is so gifted Offensively, he practically gets a point on all of Columbus' goals. Gleason is future captain material, LA loves this kid, plays tough, loves to hit, might make this squad

Goalies
Rick Dipietro-plays for mediocre team, but has all the tools to carry them to playoffs
Robert Esche-has confidence back, Flyers #1 man, should be US #1 man in Feb.
Ryan Miller-got hurt, but is a stud, adds depth to a great young group of US goalies

Lines
Knuble, Modano, Guerin
Tkachuk, Weight, Gionta
Cole, Roenick, Brown
Malone, Gomez, Rolston
Parise

Leetch/Schneider
Liles/Mara
Leopold/Chelios
Whitney/Berard

Esche
Dipietro
Miller

we shall see how it all turns out.

espo*

He may turn it around yet,but at this point it may be time to question whether Roenick is still a viable lock to play for this team.He's had his bell rung so many times now,it might be wise to bring someone healthier and not suffering the effects of this kind of stuff as Roenick may be going through now at the end of his career.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
cyclops said:
He may turn it around yet,but at this point it may be time to question whether Roenick is still a viable lock to play for this team.He's had his bell rung so many times now,it might be wise to bring someone healthier and not suffering the effects of this kind of stuff as Roenick may be going through now at the end of his career.

J.R. definitely has health issues, but I really dont see too many guys forcing Waddel to not select JR. His point totals will come back up, he is too good for that, but his leadership and work ethic will be needed in this Olympics. I just dont see anyone else coming in to take his spot outside of maybe Conroy. Waiting for Higgins, Eaves, and Kesler to really step it up now, they have to become elite players for this country to succeed in hockey.

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
I know you guys have talked about their choking, but if the Olympics were played right now Sweden would have to be a good chance.

Alfredsson, Forsberg, Zetterberg, Naslund, Johnsson and Lundqvist have undoubtedly been some of the best NHLers so far this season.

B Boarding

Feb 26, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden
burgess1978 said:
I know you guys have talked about their choking, but if the Olympics were played right now Sweden would have to be a good chance.

Alfredsson, Forsberg, Zetterberg, Naslund, Johnsson and Lundqvist have undoubtedly been some of the best NHLers so far this season.

Sundin, Lidström, Axelsson, M. Samuelsson, Holmström, Öhlund and Backman hasn't been halfbad either. Looks good...so far. But as always the Swedes are better as underdogs...so maybe it would be better if it looked like crap before the Olympics...

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Is it just me or does the American roster really look more and more weak on paper every year?

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
helicecopter said:
Here is the team RUSSIA i'd like to see at the Olympics:

Samsonov------------Fedorov-------------Kovalev
Frolov----------------Datsyuk-------------Kovalchuk
Ovechkin--------------Malkin------------- Afinogenov
Vik.Kozlov-------------Yashin--------------Zherdev
-Brylin(Antipov)

A.Markov-----------Gonchar
D.Markov-----------Volchenkov
Malakhov-----------Tyutin
-Vishnevsky

Khabibulin
-Nabokov
-Bryzgalov

Malakhov won't play (he's not on the 78-man list).

Khabibulin MUST NOT play. :sarcasm:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
roshiajin said:
Is it just me or does the American roster really look more and more weak on paper every year?

The U.S. is going through a transition phase. There's not alot of superstars in the U.S. ranks right now, and that's played out in who makes the international teams. That being said, the current crop of American defensemen is very good, and a guy like DiPietro can stand on his head, so it's not all bad. The future looks great though.

espo*

AmericanDream said:
J.R. definitely has health issues, but I really dont see too many guys forcing Waddel to not select JR. His point totals will come back up, he is too good for that, but his leadership and work ethic will be needed in this Olympics. I just dont see anyone else coming in to take his spot outside of maybe Conroy. Waiting for Higgins, Eaves, and Kesler to really step it up now, they have to become elite players for this country to succeed in hockey.
I agree there would be no question his production would go up if his health returns to good status,i just wonder at this point whether it will in time.

J.R is getting up there now and in the twighlight of his career,he's not 23 anymore,that stuff is hard on older players like him,especially one who's had numerous battles with this in the last few years.I know he's a tough cookie who's a real gamer and is good on both the ice and in the dressing room for the young guys but if things don't clear up enough and he does'nt turn it around to a degree where you can see him helping the team on the ice i would suggest it's time to pencil in someone else for a roster spot. With Every player there comes a time to put them out to pasture so to speak,he may be at that point.They have to consider it anyway i'd say.I would'nt bet against him because he is such a competitor but if he can't swing it around...................i think Team brass owes it to the team itself to select someone else,the tourny will just be too competitive not to have 23 guys ready to rock and roll.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Russia

Ovechkin - Malkin - Zherdev
Frolov - Yashin - S. Fedorov
Samsonov - Datsyuk - Kovalev
Kovalchuk - Zinoviev - Morozov
Sushinsky

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
roshiajin said:
Russia

Sushinsky

Zherdev :shakehead

Afinogenov, Khartinov.... hell even Mogilny and others.

But certainly not Zherdev :shakehead

espo*

roshiajin said:
Russia

Sushinsky
Nice forward team on paper.Where's the defense?

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Slitty said:
Zherdev :shakehead

Afinogenov, Khartinov.... hell even Mogilny and others.

But certainly not Zherdev :shakehead

I only put him here because he's better than Afinogenov. Besides, he's starting to show some signs of life with the Jackets.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
B Boarding said:
Sundin, Lidström, Axelsson, M. Samuelsson, Holmström, Öhlund and Backman hasn't been halfbad either. Looks good...so far. But as always the Swedes are better as underdogs...so maybe it would be better if it looked like crap before the Olympics...

Any chance there'd be a place for Alex Steen on that team? In a couple years, I can see him being a fixture on Team Sweden like Gagne is for Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad