2006 Olympic Rosters(non-Canada)

Status
Not open for further replies.

big_steve

Dec 6, 2003
Newfoundland
There's been two roster threads around here where people have predicted the 2006 Olympic Rosters but pretty much all those predictions revolve around one team, Canada. So I decided to make a new thread where you guys can post possible rosters of any team but Canada.

joe_shannon_1983*

Here is my prediction as of right now for Sweden:

Forwards:
Peter Forsberg
Markus Naslund
Mats Sundin
Daniel Alfredsson
Henrik Zetterberg
Fredrik Modin
Daniel Sedin
Henrik Sedin
Tomas Holmstrom
Michael Nylander
Jorgen Jonsson
Per-Johan Axelsson
Andreas Johansson

Defensemen:
Nicklas Lidstrom
Mattias Ohlund
Kim Johnsson
Mattias Norstrom
Marcus Ragnarsson
Kenny Jonsson
Dick Tarnstrom

Goaltenders:
Mikael Tellqvist
Henrik Lundqvist
Johan Hedberg

joe_shannon_1983*

Here is my prediction as of right now for Czech Republic:

Forwards:
Jaromir Jagr
Patrik Elias
Milan Hejduk
Petr Sykora
Martin Havlat
Robert Lang
Martin Rucinsky
Martin Straka
Vaclav Prospal
Petr Cajanek
David Vyborny
Josef Vasicek
Robert Reichel

Defensemen:
Roman Hamrlik
Jaroslav Modry
Pavel Kubina
Marek Malik
Tomas Kaberle
Marek Zidlicky
Jaroslav Spacek

Goaltenders:
Tomas Vokoun
Dominik Hasek
Roman Cechmanek

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
ferns8916 said:
Here is my prediction as of right now for Czech Republic:

Forwards:
Jaromir Jagr
Patrik Elias
Milan Hejduk
Petr Sykora
Martin Havlat
Robert Lang
Martin Rucinsky
Martin Straka
Vaclav Prospal
Petr Cajanek
David Vyborny
Josef Vasicek
Robert Reichel

Defensemen:
Roman Hamrlik
Jaroslav Modry
Pavel Kubina
Marek Malik
Tomas Kaberle
Marek Zidlicky
Jaroslav Spacek

Goaltenders:
Tomas Vokoun
Dominik Hasek
Roman Cechmanek

Yeah this team is the best bet I think to beat Canada. Such a well rounded team. No flaws really. Not great but good in every position. We always ever since '98 have had an underlining fear of the Czech team both times in '02 and '04 were tight games. The Czechs know how to play Canada better than anyone. I like the forward corps, but other than Jagr and Elias its hard to say if there are any "elite" forwards.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
ferns8916 said:

Forwards:
Peter Forsberg
Markus Naslund
Mats Sundin
Daniel Alfredsson
Henrik Zetterberg
Fredrik Modin
Daniel Sedin
Henrik Sedin
Tomas Holmstrom
Michael Nylander
Jorgen Jonsson
Per-Johan Axelsson
Andreas Johansson

Defensemen:
Nicklas Lidstrom
Mattias Ohlund
Kim Johnsson
Mattias Norstrom
Marcus Ragnarsson
Kenny Jonsson
Dick Tarnstrom

Goaltenders:
Mikael Tellqvist
Henrik Lundqvist
Johan Hedberg

The Swedes are always a good team on paper but since they never have won a top level tournament before they always have the tendency to choke. That said I think Czechs are a bit better on paper. Sweden better hope Forsberg is dominant and better hope Sundin plays the way he plays when he dons the Swdeish sweater cuase back in net they'd better not get too many shots against them. Their defense is good, but not great.

Naslund had better be the great player he is too. I predict the Swedes will have a good round robin but if they met Canada or the Czechs in the semis they'd bow out. If they avoid either of those ones before the finals then they can handle Finland and USA IMO. Russia is level with them I think.

big_steve

Dec 6, 2003
Newfoundland
Big Phil said:
The Swedes are always a good team on paper but since they never have won a top level tournament before they always have the tendency to choke. That said I think Czechs are a bit better on paper. Sweden better hope Forsberg is dominant and better hope Sundin plays the way he plays when he dons the Swdeish sweater cuase back in net they'd better not get too many shots against them. Their defense is good, but not great.

Naslund had better be the great player he is too. I predict the Swedes will have a good round robin but if they met Canada or the Czechs in the semis they'd bow out. If they avoid either of those ones before the finals then they can handle Finland and USA IMO. Russia is level with them I think.
Yeah.....I'd group the teams as followed:
Canada
Czech Republic

Russia
Sweden

Finland
Slovakia
USA

Germany
Switzerland

Italy
Latvia
Kazakhstan

time

Feb 26, 2005
Big Phil said:

The veterans on the Swedish team won the Olympics in '94, but I agree that was a long time ago.

That Czech team unnerves me. Since the '76 Canada Cup, they have always given Canada a really tough fight.

espo*

ferns8916 said:

Forwards:
Peter Forsberg
Markus Naslund
Mats Sundin
Daniel Alfredsson
Henrik Zetterberg
Fredrik Modin
Daniel Sedin
Henrik Sedin
Tomas Holmstrom
Michael Nylander
Jorgen Jonsson
Per-Johan Axelsson
Andreas Johansson

Defensemen:
Nicklas Lidstrom
Mattias Ohlund
Kim Johnsson
Mattias Norstrom
Marcus Ragnarsson
Kenny Jonsson
Dick Tarnstrom

Goaltenders:
Mikael Tellqvist
Henrik Lundqvist
Johan Hedberg
i heard Norstrom was done with the national team? have you heard different? They sure can use him.

Canada_87

Dec 28, 2004
The Russian team should look something like this:

Forwards

Ilya Kovalchuk
Pavel Datsyuk
Alexei Kovalev
Alexei Yashin
Sergei Fedorov
Sergei Samsonov
Alexander Frolov
Alexei Zhamnov
Alexander Ovechkin
Viktor Kozlov
Valeri Bure
Maxim Afinogenov

Zherdev, Malkin and Kaigorodov have great shots too if they have a good first half, and in Malkin and Kai's cases, if they even come over.

Defensemen

Sergei Gonchar
Sergei Zubov
Andrei Markov
Danny Markov
Vladimir Malakhov
Alexander Khavanov
Oleg Tverdovsky
One of Darius Kasparaitis, Anton Volchenkov, Vitali Vishnevski

Nikky Khabi
Jonny Nabby
Max the Sock

Leo Naphta

May 14, 2004
On top of the World
cyclops said:
i heard Norstrom was done with the national team? have you heard different? They sure can use him.

He has since changed his mind.

Regarding the Swedish team in general:

According to the Swedish coach, the team will have between 3 and 5 players from the SEL. My guess would be that the only serious candidates are the Jönsson brothers, Peter Nordström, Stefan Liv and Johan Holmqvist.

Lundqvist is the only netminder certain of a place. I would expect at least one other goaltender to be playing in the SEL. They will certainly not bring over Hedberg to sit in the stands.

Lidström, Johnson, Öhlund, Norström and Kronvall are more or less locks in defence. I would expect K. Jönsson and Bäckman to be the early favourites for the other two spots, but Tjärnqvist and Tärnström are possibilities.

Sundin, Forsberg, Alfredsson and Zetterberg are locks among forwards. Näslund and Modin are probably also pretty safe picks, even though Näslund is always useless when playing for team Sweden.

Jörgen Jönsson and Holmström are also more or less certain of a spot as role-players.

That would leave the others to fight it out for 5 places. My guess would be that the Sedins will take two of those places if they have decent seasons, that at least one of the places will go to a proven penalty killer (Nordström or Axelsson). Since we are pretty crowded in the middle, Nylander need a spectacular season to crack the team, and there is a distinct possibility that Påhlsson will get squeezed out too. Other candidates for the last spots should include Weinhandl, Marcus Nilson, Mikael Samuelsson and Ekman.

Last edited:

espo*

Leo Naphta said:
He has since changed his mind.

Regarding the Swedish team in general:

According to the Swedish coach, the team will have between 3 and 5 players from the SEL. My guess would be that the only serious candidates are the Jönsson brothers, Peter Nordström, Stefan Liv and Johan Holmqvist.

Lundqvist is the only netminder certain of a place. I would expect at least one other goaltender to be playing in the SEL. They will certainly not bring over Hedberg to sit in the stands.

Lidström, Johnson, Öhlund, Norström and Kronvall are more or less locks in defence. I would expect K. Jönsson and Bäckman to be the early favourites for the other two spots, but Tjärnqvist and Tärnström are possibilities.

Sundin, Forsberg, Alfredsson and Zetterberg are locks among forwards. Näslund and Modin are probably also pretty safe picks, even though Näslund is always useless when playing for team Sweden.

Jörgen Jönsson and Holmström are also more or less certain of a spot as role-players.

That would leave the others to fight it out for 5 places. My guess would be that the Sedins will take two of those places if they have decent seasons, that at least one of the places will go to a proven penalty killer (Nordström or Axelsson). Since we are pretty crowded in the middle, Nylander need a spectacular season to crack the team, and there is a distinct possibility that Påhlsson will get squeezed out too. Other candidates for the last spots should include Weinhandl, Marcus Nilson, Mikael Samuelsson and Ekman.
I see,thanks.You know what? I think the Sedins are pretty much locks for the team also.Can't really see why the Swedish brass would'nt bring them along.They'll be there IMO.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
RUSSIA

Forwards

Ovechkin
Datsyuk
Kovalchuk
Frolov
Zherdev
Samsonov
S. Fedorov
Zhamnov
Kovalev
Semin
Yashin
Malkin
Sushinsky

Defensemen

Volchenkov
Tyutin
Gonchar
D. Markov
A. Markov
Tverdovsky
Vishnevski

Goalies

Khabibulin
Nabokov
Bryzgalov

Aki Berg

Jul 3, 2005
Aki-ville
After carrying Team Finland on Aki's back all the way to the finals of the World Cup last fall, Aki is going to be expected to once again lead the Finnish defense corps at the 2006 Olympics.

Proffessor G DIDDY

Oct 3, 2003
Visit site
Samsonov - Federov - Ovechkin
Kovalchuk - Datysuk - Kovalev
Brylin - Yashin - Frolov
Zherdev - Zhamnov - S. Kozlov

Gonchar - Malakhov
Tverdovsky - Kasparaitus
A.Markov - D. Markov
Khavanov - Vishnevski

Khabibulin - Nabokov

espo*

Aki Berg said:
After carrying Team Finland on Aki's back all the way to the finals of the World Cup last fall, Aki is going to be expected to once again lead the Finnish defense corps at the 2006 Olympics.
Really? I've gotta see that.

big_steve

Dec 6, 2003
Newfoundland
Aki Berg said:
:bow: :biglaugh: You're becoming one of my favs around here.

joe_shannon_1983*

To everyone putting Nabokov on their teams....

Can he even play for Russia at the 2006 Olympics? He wasn't allowed to play for them at the 2002 Olympics, due to the fact that he has represented a country other than Russia as a 19 year old.

I thought IIHF rules stipulated that a once a player got to be 19 years old, that they had to play for one team and one team only for the rest of their international careers.

Has this rule changed? Becaise it was this rule that prevented him from playing for Russia in 2002.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
ferns8916 said:

Can he even play for Russia at the 2006 Olympics? He wasn't allowed to play for them at the 2002 Olympics, due to the fact that he has represented a country other than Russia as a 19 year old.

I thought IIHF rules stipulated that a once a player got to be 19 years old, that they had to play for one team and one team only for the rest of their international careers.

Has this rule changed? Becaise it was this rule that prevented him from playing for Russia in 2002.
I'm pretty sure he went to arbitration about this and they allowed him to play for Russia from now on. He was supposed to play for them at the World Cup, but injuries kept him out.

joe_shannon_1983*

The Nemesis said:
I'm pretty sure he went to arbitration about this and they allowed him to play for Russia from now on. He was supposed to play for them at the World Cup, but injuries kept him out.

Arbitration after the 2002 Olympics you mean? Because I know that he went to an arbitration hearing before the 2002 Olympics, and they ruled him ineligible to play.

I know that he planned on playing for Russia at the World Cup, but that is not an IIHF tournament, thus IIHF rules do not apply.

Slay

May 24, 2003
Krasnoyarsk
ferns8916 said:

Can he even play for Russia at the 2006 Olympics?

I am pretty sure that now he can play. If I am not mistaken, the current rule that allows players to play for another country appeared after the Olympics 2002.

My roster:

Samsonov - Fedorov - Zhamnov
Kovalchuk - Datsyuk - Kovalev
Ovechkin - Malkin - Afinogenov
Frolov - Yashin - Kozlov
Zherdev

Gonchar - Volchenkov
Markov - Markov
Khavanov/Tverdovsky/Malakhov - Vishnevsky
Tyutin

Khabibulin
Nabokov
Bryzgalov

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I'll take a stab at the U.S. roster:

Tkachuk-Modano-Guerin
Roenick-Weight-Knuble
Drury-Gomez-Parrish
Cole-Legwand-Blake

Leetch-Miller
Gill-Tanabe
Martin-Rafalski
Leopold-Mara

DiPietro
Esche
Conklin

Last edited:

RedAce

Mar 9, 2005
New York, NY
1. Samsonov - Datsyuk - Kovalev
2. Frolov - Yashin - Zherdev
3. Kovalchuk - Fedorov - Kozlov
4. Ovechkin - Malkin - Afinogenov

Extra's Brylin Zhamnov Kaigorodov

Sergei Gonchar Vishnevski
D. Markov Volchenkov
A. Markov Tverdovsky
Tyutin Malakhov

Khabibulin
Bryzgalov
Nabokov

joe_shannon_1983*

Rabid Ranger said:
I'll take a stab at the U.S. roster:

Tkachuk-Modano-Guerin
Roenick-Weight-Cole
Drury-Gomez-Parrish
Rolston-Legwand-Halpern

Leetch-Miller
Gill-Tanabe
Martin-Rafalski
Leopold-Mara

DiPietro
Esche
Conklin

No Chelios on the blueline? I think Chelios will be there. For two reasons: (1) He will help guide and lead the youngsters; and (2) He will still be one of the better defenseman that the U.S.A. will have to offer.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
ferns8916 said:
No Chelios on the blueline? I think Chelios will be there. For two reasons: (1) He will help guide and lead the youngsters; and (2) He will still be one of the better defenseman that the U.S.A. will have to offer.

Chelios might be there, but I'm not holding my breath. Personally, I'd rather see a younger group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad