2006 Entry Draft

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
If any, let alone all of Brassard, Sheppard and Okposo are available and the leafs dont take one of them for Tlusty i will be pissed.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Not bad. I don't see Calgary taking another defenseman, and I hear Cal Clutterbuck is a Steve Downie-clone - Why would Philadelphia draft him?

I like Vancouver picking Okposo. I wouldn't mind taking Emmerton or Foligno there, either.

I hope we stay far, far away from Ty Wishart.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
rt said:
As a Coyotes fan, I'd be VERY pleased with that scenario. :)
same coming from the jackets. i have staal rated no.2 behind ej and as far as need, he fills a big one for us

inferno98

Mar 22, 2006
Seph said:
Not necessarily. Mueller has more points in a lower scoring league. Both have good size/strength, are above average skaters for their size and are very complete. Other than his bloodlines, there's no clear advantage at the moment for Staal. Given Mueller's supposed leadership abilities and that he's having a very good playoffs right now, he could conceivably jump Staal in the standings.

Good point

Vic Rattlehead*

The Bruins will not pick Sanguinetti. At this point, I doubt he is even picked in the top 10.

Horrible, horrible pick for the Bruins.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Abyss said:
Interesting post. :D

If they draft a defenseman it better be Erik Johnson, otherwise they desperately need a good young forward, preferably Backstrom if he is still available at #6...
I think they'll pick what they feel the best player available. just like Calgary did with Phaneuf, NYR did with Montoya, Nashville did with Parent and so on

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Seph said:
Is that an opinion on Wishart? Or just that the Canucks have enough prospects of that type?

A bit of both. Vancouver's alright on defense, but Wishart strikes me as a very safe pick - he reminds me a bit of Eric Brewer. I see him more as a 3/4 guy, someone I wouldn't want at 14th overall or so.

I should say, though, that a lot of people hold him in very high regard. How much of that is Prince George's reputation for turning out defensemen, I don't know. I'm going to be very interested in his career, however.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Seph said:
If Backstrom's there when the Isles pick, I'd be absolutely floored if the Isles pass. Consider their scouting's preference for Scandinavian players.
I was thinking the same thing. I also wouldn't be surprised to see them move up to get him.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Burke's Evil Spirit said:
A bit of both. Vancouver's alright on defense, but Wishart strikes me as a very safe pick - he reminds me a bit of Eric Brewer. I see him more as a 3/4 guy, someone I wouldn't want at 14th overall or so.

I should say, though, that a lot of people hold him in very high regard. How much of that is Prince George's reputation for turning out defensemen, I don't know. I'm going to be very interested in his career, however.
A difference of opinion I guess, but I think an Eric Brewer would be great to get at #14 or so.

Agent007

Mar 22, 2006
ya i would love to see brewer on this team if we had the chance...i dont know if st louis would do this but i dont know wat eric's contract status is however i would love to see bertuzzi plus vancouvers first round pick in 2007 for brewer and st louis first round pick in 2006 lol i doubt st louis would bite however that would be a great deal but i dont know if the st louis fans would really welcome bertuzzi tho...wishful thinking

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I would not be surprised to see the Rangers trade up in the first round. (In fact, I almost EXPECT them to move up.) They've done it in each of the past two years, and they have accumulated plenty of tradable assets. There are rumblings that the Rangers have designs on one of the centers at the top of the draft, and I believe every effort will be made to try and get one, since it is the one glaring weakness in their prospect pool.

Checker*

samvcanucks007 said:
ya i would love to see brewer on this team if we had the chance...i dont know if st louis would do this but i dont know wat eric's contract status is however i would love to see bertuzzi plus vancouvers first round pick in 2007 for brewer and st louis first round pick in 2006 lol i doubt st louis would bite however that would be a great deal but i dont know if the st louis fans would really welcome bertuzzi tho...wishful thinking
It's not that the fans in St. Louis wouldn't welcome Bertuzzi as much as it is that your proposal sucks.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Florida wont pick Chris Stewart. Just because he is the brother of Anthony, doesn't mean he will get picked by the panthers. The panthers will either draft a defenseman or an offensively minded forward such as Brassard IMO.

Agent007

Mar 22, 2006
Checker said:
It's not that the fans in St. Louis wouldn't welcome Bertuzzi as much as it is that your proposal sucks.
from what ive heard in the hockey world there are a lot of gms that would go for a guy like bertuzzi and i got a feeling someone is going to overpay for his services( or so you think because i feel as well he will have a big season next year AWAY from vancouver ) Its not the best propsal i do agree however it was late at night and i was jus throwing stuff out there. To be honest when it comes to bert tho if we can get a good prospect or two out of him id be jumping up n down with joy and i do feel that is possible with what i heard from the deadline that nonis did have some good offers on the table however because they wouldn't improve the team right away he could not accept them

Transported Upstater

vanwychen27 said:
If any, let alone all of Brassard, Sheppard and Okposo are available and the leafs dont take one of them for Tlusty i will be pissed.

Sheppard all the way.

I like Brassard too.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Abyss said:
Except not...Backstrom won't fall to #8 and theres NO way the Bruins draft a defenseman. If Backstrom is available for the Bruins, they will probably take him or Okposo.

Nice attempt but...I think you have Mueller too high, Brassard and Backstrom too low, and Okposo too low..

I was going to say the exact same thing. I think Boston would go for Backstrom rather quickly.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
jas said:
I would not be surprised to see the Rangers trade up in the first round. (In fact, I almost EXPECT them to move up.) They've done it in each of the past two years, and they have accumulated plenty of tradable assets. There are rumblings that the Rangers have designs on one of the centers at the top of the draft, and I believe every effort will be made to try and get one, since it is the one glaring weakness in their prospect pool.
who could they trade with to get this though, i would imagine most picking up top like my jackets also want a centerman

cmdevisser

Apr 9, 2006
Chesapeake, Va
yeah if the rangers draft a defensman i would be dumbfounded, that it by far the deepest part of their system with Staal, Sauer, Pock, Baranka, and Lampman still projecting to be NHL players (Staal, Sauer, and Pock could be top 4 defensmen) and with Tyutin already in the pros, It makes more sense for them to trade some talent and pick up a bluechip first line prospect like J. Staal if they can.

quebec

Apr 29, 2005
VanNistelrooy said:
Joey Ryan at 17 spot... Come on...
Dont under estimate J.Ryan I follow the Quebec League and he is a solid defenceman.I have seen him play a lot this season and he is solid at both ends of the ice.

AgentNaslund*

Seph said:
A difference of opinion I guess, but I think an Eric Brewer would be great to get at #14 or so.

WEll, we drafted a big and fast skating defencemen with offensive skills, (Bourdon) do you want to draft another big and fast skating defencemen?

Like Eric Brewer's stats is pretty crappy, and as a top 2 defencmen? Real crappy.

I say Canucks should go for an offensive player. ANd who is this Kyle Oposo guy?

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
People may bash this draft thread, but everyone is forgetting one thing. There is always an organization (or three or four for that matter) who always end up drafting something way off the board. I could see several surprises here. This isn't a particularly strong draft, especially after the first 10 to 15 choices. I could see a lot of teams moving down and a lot of teams moving up.

With regards to the Flyers, no way do they draft Cal Clutterbuck. If Jonesu is available, that's who they take. If he isn't, they either look for a defenseman to help replenish the system or they look for a forward with speed and skill. They don't need a Steve Ott-type player when they already have one in Downie. If they don't get a forward with speed and skill, I could see them drafting a center to be used exclusively as a Joel Otto-type shut down player. That's actually what I'm hoping they draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad