2006 Draft

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
I don't know how well Kessel and Sid would've worked together. Geno and Kessel maybe. Sid and Seguin would be dynamite though.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I don't know how well Kessel and Sid would've worked together. Geno and Kessel maybe. Sid and Seguin would be dynamite though.

Kessel's got wheels, and Kessel can shoot the puck. He can also carry the puck into the zone with full control. That's the kind of winger that should do well with Sid.

mrzeigler

.. but I'm not wrong
Sep 30, 2006
Pittsburgh
Why the **** is this franchise spending money on 18 assistant-GM positions when that money could be used to put Daniel Faraday on retainer so we could someday draft Jonathan Toews?

londonHK

Feb 27, 2014
No one should be taking Kessel over Toews, even a team that needs a winger more than a center...

member 51464

No one should be taking Kessel over Toews, even a team that needs a winger more than a center...

Not even the 2014-15 Pittsburgh Penguins as currently constituted? (ignoring the salary cap)

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

This year's Penguins team need Kessel a lot more than they need Toews, particularly since having Toews would likely mean Geno being played on the wing, where he's not at his best.

With Kessel, it's an easier fit where Geno can slot into his natural center position, and the only player who gets bumped is Sutter down to 3C.

Kunitz - Crosby - Hornqvist
Dupuis - Malkin - Kessel

Or

Kunitz - Crosby - Kessel
Dupuis - Malkin - Hornqvist

...has players playing in their natural positions and disrupts positional familiarity less than

Dupuis - Toews - Malkin

Or Kunitz - Crosby - Hornqvist
Toews - Malkin - Dupuis

...would.

There's also the minor issue of Kessel being a righty. Having that 35+ goal threat on the opposite side of the ice from where Sid and Geno like to set up would be glorious.

londonHK

Feb 27, 2014
Not even the 2014-15 Pittsburgh Penguins as currently constituted? (ignoring the salary cap)

This year's Penguins team need Kessel a lot more than they need Toews, particularly since having Toews would likely mean Geno being played on the wing, where he's not at his best.

My problem with Kessel is more that he's generally horrible defensively and just doesn't have the determination and "motivation to win" that players on contending teams tend to have. I don't disagree with the rest of your points though.

sf expat71

Nov 10, 2008
Atlantic Ocean
My problem with Kessel is more that he's generally horrible defensively and just doesn't have the determination and "motivation to win" that players on contending teams tend to have. I don't disagree with the rest of your points though.

Totally disagree with this. Anyone who can score around 40 goals with Bozak as his center has determination the likes of which you and I can't fathom. Anyway, when you have the second pick, you take the best player available. Jordan Staal isn't/wasn't that player. I can understand need-based picks in the late 1st round on, but in the 1st half of the 1st round, you are hoping to draft an impact player, and every single team in the NHL right now can use an impact player at any given position except maybe goalie.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Anyway, when you have the second pick, you take the best player available. Jordan Staal isn't/wasn't that player. I can understand need-based picks in the late 1st round on, but in the 1st half of the 1st round, you are hoping to draft an impact player, and every single team in the NHL right now can use an impact player at any given position except maybe goalie.

if we picked on need we would of taken kessel, as far as the best player it was a toss up of the 3 at the time.....

Jackpot Jaret

Oct 22, 2014
As stated above, it was in fact Shea Weber that was offered for the #2 pick. I watch the draft every year, its my favorite hockey day besides the world juniors (certain games). I remember they mentioned Weber was offered and declined. At the time, I didn't know who Shea Weber really was, and was glad we help on to the pick. I wanted Toews at the time, because he was compared to Yzerman

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

With Kessel, it's an easier fit where Geno can slot into his natural center position, and the only player who gets bumped is Sutter down to 3C.

Dupuis - Malkin - Kessel

Or

Kunitz - Crosby - Kessel
Dupuis - Malkin - Hornqvist

...has players playing in their natural positions and disrupts positional familiarity less than

Dupuis - Toews - Malkin

Or Kunitz - Crosby - Hornqvist
Toews - Malkin - Dupuis

...would.

There's also the minor issue of Kessel being a righty. Having that 35+ goal threat on the opposite side of the ice from where Sid and Geno like to set up would be glorious.

We could've just done Boston's first three rounds from the 2006 draft and had Kunitz-Sid-Kessel and Lucic-Geno-Marchand. :cry:

WooWooKennyWu*

I hated Kessel then and I hate him now. Toews in retrospect was the move. I liked Staal at the time because of the bloodlines and you knew all the bros would be NHLers so it was a safe bet. While we found out Jordan doesn't have a deft touch we still wouldn't have won the cup without him. And the most overrated player in the league is the gift that keeps on giving. DP should be a keeper or some of the finest trade bait in the sea to catch a bigger fish...

Not all was lost...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad