2006 Draft

Malkin Mania LXXI

Dec 16, 2013
Just read a 2006 draft re-do and it said the Pens should of taken Kessel #2 instead of Staal and wondered what others thought if we should of or should of stuck with Staal. I'm eh on it because we have a cup with Staal and now we have Dumo, Sutter and Pouliot from Staal but we could also of had Sid long term winger. Either way, just wondering about opinions :)

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Team would have a different fate, might not have a cup. I'll stick with Staal because we know we have a cup with him.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Unless Toews was at 3rd line center (have a sneaking suspicion he'd have been converted to wing), I don't think Mr I Don't Believe in Line Matching wins a series against the 09 Red Wings if Shero takes anybody but Staal with that pick.

Possible they would have won in 08...in which case Therrien probably isn't fired...

There's too many variables to consider all this.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Things like this are always weird because Staal is a major change that could alter so much and they did win a cup with him. But Toews, then Kessel.

Leave it to Shero to draft the grinder-esque option, he probably died a little bit inside when he couldn't take Johnson even if he loves him self some Staal.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
At the time, I said Toews. Now, I change my mind.

And I only change my mind because Nashville apparently offered Shea Weber for that 2nd overall pick. Trade the pick for Weber.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
I don't think the Pens could afford 3 top end forwards. Kessel likely gets traded early on, Toews will turn out to be a different player as a 3rd line center.

penguins2946*

We got a cup with Staal, and may not have won that cup if not for Staal. I'll take that over what could have happened with Toews or Kessel.

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
we won a cup with tyler kennedy too. who had the same amount of points as staal did in the post season when we won the cup

toews easily

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I was extremely vocal about drafting Kessel. At the time of the draft, not after. Solely because he was the one of the four top forwards who specifically projected as a wing. The other three all projected as centers. You can never project completely how a player will turn out, it is a bit of a crap shoot when you are projecting 17 year olds. So to a degree playing the what if game is ridiculous. If we are going to play that game why start with Staal and those other three and instead talk about the dozens of low round picks, or undrafted like St. Louis, who became something special after everyone passed on.

But position you can argue at the time. We did not need another first line center, we needed a wing who could play with Crosby and Malkin.

Uemoda

Formerly OminousGrey
Jun 28, 2011
Pennsylvania
www.twitter.com
At the time, I said Toews. Now, I change my mind.

And I only change my mind because Nashville apparently offered Shea Weber for that 2nd overall pick. Trade the pick for Weber.

I said Toews at the time. I was livid we took J. Staal over Toews and Kessel. Positively irate.

My feelings haven't changed since then. Though if that deal existed, that would be insanely tempting. I have no idea why anyone would pass it up, considering how dreadful our D was at that time.

The Tang

I like gooooollllddd
Sep 19, 2002
Pittsburgh. PA
Visit site
Team would have a different fate, might not have a cup. I'll stick with Staal because we know we have a cup with him.

This, because we know we have a cup. Yes, Toews was the better choice but there is no guarantee we would have won the cup with Toews. More likely? Sure. But since we can't predict anything for all we know Toews would have his knee blown out and we win nothing.

Plus it alters the cap situation so who knows how things end up. We could end up trading him for the same we got for Jordan Staal. Besides, we had Bylsma and I don't think any amount of talent could overcome that cluster****

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Imagine having Sid, Geno and Toews and having the option to trade one though which eventaully would've happened except it could've been any of the 3 you wanted to shop instead of just Staal wanting out.

Imagine shopping Geno(or any of the 3 really) around and the wingers/package you could get for him. Hehe.

Fun to think about for a second or two.
The Pens depth would be absolutely insane if it went down that way.

Last edited:

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
If we re-do the 2006 draft now, St.Louis will pick someone else for sure as 1st, so I doubt we could get Toews ...
And I'm more then OK with Jordan & The Cup.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Just going over the 06 draft, Pens had such a great oppurtunity to stock up on forwards but nope. D, D and more D. :laugh:

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
We got a cup with Staal, and may not have won that cup if not for Staal. I'll take that over what could have happened with Toews or Kessel.

We won a Cup with Staal but the argument can go either way. We may have won more Cups with Toews on this team instead of Staal.

Toews is definitely the guy to pick. I don't know where he would have fit in but the guy is a winner. He really could have been Sid's Messier.

Farnham4top6

Despres #1D
Mar 6, 2011
north of you
We won a Cup with Staal but the argument can go either way. We may have won more Cups with Toews on this team instead of Staal.

Toews is definitely the guy to pick. I don't know where he would have fit in but the guy is a winner. He really could have been Sid's Messier.

why would we have won more cups with a guy that always chokes on the finals?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad