2006 Draft is Kessel a lock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Is Phil Kessel a lock for 1st overall in the 2006 draft? We all knew Crosby was going 1st pretty much before he even played in the QMJHL and he did.

Kessel did very well as an underager but will this be a Spezza thing where he is good for a long time but a Kovalchuk unseats him?

Also could I get another list for top 10 in '06 and where they are from? I'm wondering why Jordan Staal is rated so high since he only had 28 points in the OHL this year. And can someone tell me about Bryan Little.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
There's a lot of talent toward the top of the 06 draft. I think you nailed it with the Kovy/Spezza thing. Frolik, Mueller, Josseneu(sp) all could end up going number one.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Even this early it is safe to say Kessel will go first overall. It's not as clear cut as Crosby was a year ago (even though some people thought Brule was better lol) but just as clear cut as Ovechkin/Malkin last year.

Except this year there are realistically five or six Malkins. Toews, Frolik, Mueller, Sheppard, Little. Staal.

And just like Brule was the player people targetted last year as being better than Crosby - people who think they are outsmarting everyone this year have pinned their hopes on Frolik. He won't be taken ahead of Kessel and he may not be in the top three - but for some reason people who don't know much about these prospects arbitrarily pick him.

And look for Joensuu to drop, possibly even out of the top 10. He's so big and talented it got him attention very early, but it is clear now that there are several better prospects coming along.

espo*

Yep,i think he's pretty much a lock for number one in next years draft.Can't see anyone stealing his thunder at all.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Look up some scouting reports.

If you want the short version, he's a more productive point producer with a harder and better shot. And he's faster.

espo*

Yep,that's about it.From what i've seen of them Kessel looks better then Frolik by a decent margin.Not to say Frolik isn't good but he'd have to really come along in the next year to become better then Kessel and it's doubtful he can to me.All what legoalie said about those skills compared to Frolik is true.He's just a more dangerous player then Frolik.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Yes, Frolik is very talented and does a lot of really good things. He can make plays. He drives the net and can play in traffic as good as anyone, but Kessel does all those things and more.

Iwanna

Dec 16, 2003
Czech Republic
Visit site
I know Frolik since he was 14. He is great player, amazing to watch, one of the best Czech players I have seen. True Kessel seems like more aggressive and flashy player but I think Frolik will be able to show his main attributes better this season than the last one.

Last season he was still in age when he could play in the midgets category, yet he was playing with men. He then played for a while with the juniors, went to the U-20, played for men, juniors and in the U-18. He had to adjust to many different styles of hockey during the season. He could hardly find steadiness when there was no team where he would play more than few games. All these moves between different teams hurt him this year but made him better prepared for the next season. He is a great player and he will show it this year.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Did anyone else hear McGuire say that if Kessel and Crosby were both available in the same draft that the split among GM's would have been?

Crosby - 17
Kessel - 13

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Crosby 17 and Kessel 13? That's pretty tight. I'm curious as to why Kessel would go that high. To me he's a higher risk than Crosby is. Crosby was NOT going to be unseated this year for #1 overall, Kessel might very well be. I'm surprised 13 GM's liked him over Sid

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
monster_bertuzzi said:
Tier 1:
Kessel
Frolik

Tier 2:
Mueller
Little
Joenssu
Toews
Vasyunov
Sheppard
Johnson
Maxwell

Agreed, thats not to say tier 2 is bad, but they just aren't as good. Still there are some amazing players in tier2(Joenssu and Toews). I'm hoping Maxwell hits it big next season.

Pipeandin

Dec 7, 2004

I really woulden't be surprised to see John Toews and Eric Johnson crack the top 5. I could see Okoposo slipping into the top 10 as well
TOP 10:
Kessel
Frolik
Mueller
Johnson
Toews
Shepperd
Little
Maxwell
Okoposo
Joensuu

HON MENTION:
Dowzek, Mitera, Staal, Vasyunov

Kugel

Oct 16, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Le Golie said:
Look up some scouting reports.

If you want the short version, he's a more productive point producer with a harder and better shot. And he's faster.

that is true but sometimes scouts might look at his lack of size or something as a deterrent to take him number 1. plus they might look at how he projects at the next level, kessel is ripping leagues up but when players r clsoer in speed will he do. those r some things that could lead to him going number 2...i personally think he is a lock to go #1. too fast and too exciting not too.

NYRGoalieGlut*

Harper said:
Just like you all were a lock for Crosby :lol:

That was a conspiracy theory made up mostly by Rangers haters. Besides, that's completely different that was a lottery of 30 and this if done like before will be a lottery of 5 teams, and the worst we can fall to will be 2 as I doubt any team in the NHL is worse. Saying that any team is a lock for anything is dumb since there's always been a lottery.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Big Phil said:
Is Phil Kessel a lock for 1st overall in the 2006 draft? We all knew Crosby was going 1st pretty much before he even played in the QMJHL and he did.

Kessel did very well as an underager but will this be a Spezza thing where he is good for a long time but a Kovalchuk unseats him?

Also could I get another list for top 10 in '06 and where they are from? I'm wondering why Jordan Staal is rated so high since he only had 28 points in the OHL this year. And can someone tell me about Bryan Little.

NO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad