2006 Draft is Kessel a lock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
If it was Kessel 13 and Crosby 17 then if the equation had Frolik in it how many votes would he get over Crosby and Kessel. None i bet. I think Kessel at this point in time is a lock. Several things can happen but they have not hapened yet.

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
NYRGoalieGlut said:
That was a conspiracy theory made up mostly by Rangers haters. Besides, that's completely different that was a lottery of 30 and this if done like before will be a lottery of 5 teams, and the worst we can fall to will be 2 as I doubt any team in the NHL is worse. Saying that any team is a lock for anything is dumb since there's always been a lottery.
Have you looked at the Caps roster lately??

:eek:

espo*

He's gonna be a hard kid to unseat that's all.He's kickin way more ass then Spezza did at that age in my opinion.Sure it's always possible someone could rise up and give him a run for his money and challenge him for the no. 1 spot but it does'nt seem likely at this point.No prospect out there seems to have his raw talent and it's more then just raw talent,it's results too and he's got the results to back it up.It was'nt Frolik i saw tearing the opposition apart in the past under 18's it was Kessel.i saw it with my own eyes and i was'nt alone.Frolik looked just fine at the under 18's and the past world juniors but he did'nt look near as good as Kessel,not by a long shot.

Scouts have seen it too...........he's going to be tremendousely difficult to unseat from this point on.Just as the other guys out there may improve you've got to figure he's gonna improve also.At this point,he's clearly in the drivers seat for next years no 1 spot IMO.Teams tend to like prospecst that skate like the wind,handle the bisquit like Lafleur and shoot the puck like he does.All i can say is...........good luck fellow prospects getting picked no1 next year,you're gona have to raise your game a hell of a lot.

BigE

Mar 12, 2004
New York, NY
HockeyCritter said:
Have you looked at the Caps roster lately??

:eek:

Yeah I have to agree. I unfortunately have a hard time believing the Rangers will be bottom 3 in the East, never mind bottom 3 in the league or worst in the league!

They've signed just enough players to make 70 pts and have them picking 8th or 9th - which really, really stinks. If you're going to lose, do it right! ;)

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
BigE said:
Yeah I have to agree. I unfortunately have a hard time believing the Rangers will be bottom 3 in the East, never mind bottom 3 in the league or worst in the league!

They've signed just enough players to make 70 pts and have them picking 8th or 9th - which really, really stinks. If you're going to lose, do it right! ;)

The only bottom dwellers from the previous season that haven't improved are the Rangers and the Caps. The Rangers could end up around there since they play their division 8 times, and only the Flyers and Pens really improved.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Legionnaire said:
The only bottom dwellers from the previous season that haven't improved are the Rangers and the Caps. The Rangers could end up around there since they play their division 8 times, and only the Flyers and Pens really improved.

The Rangers added Straka, Rucinsky, Malik...Maybe they aren't world beaters but it's still more than Chris Clark. Straka works well w/Jagr btw.

Hab Fan

Nov 2, 2004
Peter Mueller will be a better pro than Kessel. Truth be told, let's see Phil next year in college. Neverthelesss, I do believe because of size, skill and character, Mueller will go ahead of Kessel. I am not sayin #1 though. Haven't seen the others.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
EroCaps said:
The Rangers added Straka, Rucinsky, Malik...Maybe they aren't world beaters but it's still more than Chris Clark. Straka works well w/Jagr btw.

True, but that doesn't help anything with the lottery. If they finsh number two, they have just about the same odds as the Caps do. Also, at least the Caps have legit goaltender.

I am Jack's Fish

I would think Kessel is a lock for 2006, but really, it might come down to whether or not he can shoot a puck into a dryer on national TV.

And that is the bottom line.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Kessel had 10 more points in eight less games than Mueller did. There is more than just points but with a gap like that it is going to be hard for anyone to overcome his numbers alone.

Hab Fan

Nov 2, 2004
Mueller can play in traffic, Kessel stays WAY out of it. Mueller will be a better pro in the long run. Haven't seen the others.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Hab Fan said:
Mueller can play in traffic, Kessel stays WAY out of it. Mueller will be a better pro in the long run. Haven't seen the others.

Kessel does just fine in traffic. This reminds me of the Marleau > Thornton argument in '97 - except Thornton and Kessel totally different styles. Kessel's talent outweighs Mueller's intangables by a large margin.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
Mueller is also a year younger than Kessel and the gap between the two is not nearly as large as some of you think.

Kessel is a very exciting player but sorry Le Golie, playing in traffic is not his strong suit.

BigE

Mar 12, 2004
New York, NY
Legionnaire said:

Haven't improved? To be honest, the roster the Rangers possess now is better than the one they finished with at the end of the 03-04 season. Not only are their holdovers a year older but the additions of Straka, Rucinsky (again), and Neiminen are a considerable step-up from Mark Messier, Mike Greene and Sandy McCarthy. They've also got a stud goaltending prospect who's played extremely well against pro competition in Sweden (Lundqvist) and an under-rated tendy in Weekes (who for my money is better than the aging Kolzig).

They'll be the worst team in the Atlantic though, which might benefit their lottery pick aspirations (32 games).

I see Buffalo and Carolina scrapping it out for bottoms in the East with Washington, New York and Toronto falling in behind at the 60-70 point range.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
VOB said:
Mueller is also a year younger than Kessel and the gap between the two is not nearly as large as some of you think.

Kessel is a very exciting player but sorry Le Golie, playing in traffic is not his strong suit.

I didn't say it's his strength, I said he does fine in it - meaning it doesn't take away from his overall game.

Fleury29

Apr 18, 2005
I like how everyone is putting Toronto at the bottom. We will be the underdogs.

They will make the playoffs, only teams that really improved are Philly and Pens.

mymkovski

Aug 16, 2004
Although it was only a WJHC tourney....Kessel was much more dazzling to watch to than Frolik...he was perhaps the most entertaining player of the tourney....

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
cyclops said:
He's gonna be a hard kid to unseat that's all.He's kickin way more ass then Spezza did at that age in my opinion.Sure it's always possible someone could rise up and give him a run for his money and challenge him for the no. 1 spot but it does'nt seem likely at this point.No prospect out there seems to have his raw talent and it's more then just raw talent,it's results too and he's got the results to back it up.It was'nt Frolik i saw tearing the opposition apart in the past under 18's it was Kessel.i saw it with my own eyes and i was'nt alone.Frolik looked just fine at the under 18's and the past world juniors but he did'nt look near as good as Kessel,not by a long shot.

Scouts have seen it too...........he's going to be tremendousely difficult to unseat from this point on.Just as the other guys out there may improve you've got to figure he's gonna improve also.At this point,he's clearly in the drivers seat for next years no 1 spot IMO.Teams tend to like prospecst that skate like the wind,handle the bisquit like Lafleur and shoot the puck like he does.All i can say is...........good luck fellow prospects getting picked no1 next year,you're gona have to raise your game a hell of a lot.

How is he kicking more ass? At that age spezza was an all star at the WJHC.. I think what Kessel has done is awesome and he will probably go number one next year he reminds me of Kovalchuk in a way but Spezza was pretty good at that age as well.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Le Golie said:
And look for Joensuu to drop, possibly even out of the top 10. He's so big and talented it got him attention very early, but it is clear now that there are several better prospects coming along.

Right on. I think he'll be this years Latendresse.

Genghis Keon

Apr 1, 2002
Visit site
John Flyers Fan said:
Did anyone else hear McGuire say that if Kessel and Crosby were both available in the same draft that the split among GM's would have been?

Crosby - 17
Kessel - 13

I didn't hear that part, but I want some clarification (from anyone who heard or otherwise knows). Did he actually poll or talk to all/most of the GMs, or was that just his opinion on who GMs would pick given a choice? I saw an article on USAToday which stated that "if both were eligible this season, McGuire said the split would probably be '17 general managers who favored Crosby and 13 who favored Kessel.'" The "probably" stands out to me as meaning McGuire was just giving his opinion, not stating a fact. Because if it's just conjecture by McGuire, I don't think it deserves much credence (especially since it would be attributing his own beliefs to what GMs would do, which gives added authority, authority that might not actually be behind the statement). I mean, maybe ALL the GMs actually prefer Kessel, or maybe they all prefer Crosby; if McGuire is just giving his opinion, all we know is that he sees it as close between Crosby and Kessel.

It doesn't really matter one way or another--words aren't going to make Crosby better than Kessel, or vice versa, or put them on the same plane; if one is better than the other, or they are virtually equal, they just are--but I'm just curious as to whether McGuire actually got his opinion from the GMs or if he was basically saying "in my opinion, if Kessel had been eligible for this draft year, about 17 GMs would pick Crosby, the other 13 would pick Kessel--in my opinion, they are just that close." Like I said, words don't change anything, but if it does come from a poll of GMs, it gives some new information on actual league perception of the two players; if it just comes from McGuire, and McGuire alone, well, great, I guess.

KariyaIsGod*

Crosby is a far superior player than Kessel....

Kessel is going to go number one though barring an injury or a significant drop in production.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad