2006-07 HFNHL Playoff Preview

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
With the Florida Panthers dwelling in the HFNHL cellar, the Florida Post has decided to do a write up as the playoffs draw near. Some of the matchups should prove to be very compelling and exciting. Let us examine the first round more closely and supply you with some predictions.

THE EAST

1. Devils vs. 8. Lightning
Tale of the Tape:
New Jersey Devils
Record: 50 - 25 - 7 - 1
Goals For: 299 (1st in HFNHL)
Goals Against: 229 (8th in HFNHL)
Power Play/Penalty Kill: 19.3/83.2% (3rd/21st in HFNHL)
Top Scorer: Marian Gaborik - 102 points
Tampa Bay Lightning
Record: 39 - 36 - 7 - 2
Goals For: 258 (T 14th in HFNHL)
Goals Against: 265 (19th in HFNHL)
Power Play/Penalty Kill: 13.9/87.7% (24th/T 2nd in HFNHL)
Top Scorer: Markus Naslund - 99 points
Season Series: 1-1
Devils 8, Lightning 1
Lightning 7, Devils 3
Keys to Success:
Both teams boast strong offensive units which have scoring depth across 3 lines, which means that this series will likely come down to goaltending. The Devils can choose to go with either Dominik Hasek or Ed Belfour, while the Lightning are likely to stick with seasoned veteran Curtis Joseph.
The Prediction:
Devils in 6
The Lightning are likely to give the Devils a scare, as they match up fairly well. But in the end, the Defense of the Devils is more likely to shutdown the Tampa offense. One of the only vulnerable points of the Devils is their penalty killing, however the Lightning have one of the weaker power play units in the league, meaning they likely won't take full advantage of this. In the later rounds, a week penalty kill could cause the Devils some problems. However, they are usually tame, ranking 2nd last in the HFNHL in penalty minutes received.

2. Hurricanes vs. 7. Senators
Tale of the Tape:
Carolina Hurricanes
Record: 47 - 26 - 9 -2
Goals For: 258 (T - 14th in HFNHL)
Goals Against: 219 (3rd in HFNHL)
Power Play/Penalty Kill: 16.9/85.2% (11th/T 9th in HFNHL)
Top Scorer: Alex Ovechkin - 68 points
Ottawa Senators
Record: 39 - 35 - 8 - 4
Goals For: 246 (18th in HFNHL)
Goals Against: 217 (2nd in HFNHL)
Power Play/Penalty Kill: 18.1/88.6% (7th/1st in HFNHL)
Top Scorer: Henrik Zetterberg - 88 points
Hurricanes 3, Senators 2 (OT)
Senators 5, Hurricanes 1
Keys to Success:
This series sees the matchup of two of the best defensive teams in the HFNHL, which suggests that the series could be very low scoring. This clearly means that the offenses of both clubs need to step up. Both clubs rely heavily on young forwards participatings in their first playoffs. Veterans like Keith Tkachuk and Craig Conroy for the Hurricanes, and Henrik Zetterberg and Glen Murray of the Senators need to set the standard.
The Prediction:
Senators in 6
Two words. Roberto Luongo. Luongo has been the berlin wall for the Senators all season long and is likely to give the Hurricane forwards fits.

3. Leafs vs. 6. Penguins
Tale of the Tape:
Toronto Maple Leafs
Record: 43 - 32 - 7 - 3
Goals For: 264 (12th in HFNHL)
Goals Against: 225 (6th in HFNHL)
Power Play/Penalty Kill: 17.1/87.7% (10th/T 2nd in HFNHL)
Top Scorer: Mats Sundin - 95 points
Pittsburgh Penguins
Record: 41 - 36 - 5 - 3
Goals For: 240 (22nd in HFNHL)
Goals Against: 224 (5th in HFNHL)
Power Play/Penalty Kill: 10.1/83.4% (29th/19th in HFNHL)
Top Scorer: Brad Richards - 84 points
Penguins 2, Leafs 4
Leafs 1, Penguins 2
Keys to Success:
Two more heavily defensive teams duke out in this series. The Leafs definitely get the advantage in the experience department as many of their forwards have seen the playoffs many times before. The Penguins will need their defense to continue to play rough and outmuscle the Leaf forwards. Goaltender Manny Fernandez will also need to step up his play for the Penguins. The Leafs need to capitalize on poor speacial teams play by the Penguins, especially with them being among the leaders in penalty minutes received.
The Prediction:
Leafs in 5
With the nods in experience and goaltending, the Leafs should make easy work of the Penguins, whom still have a good team but not likely enough offense to overcome Tomas Vokoun.

4. Flyers vs. 5. Sabres
Tale of the Tape:
Philadelphia Flyers
Record: 44 - 33 - 5 - 2
Goals For: 295 (2nd in HFNHL)
Goals Against: 237 (10th in HFNHL)
Power Play/Penalty Kill: 17.9/84.2% (T 8th/17th in HFNHL)
Top Scorer: Simon Gagne - 104 points
Buffalo Sabres
Record: 40 - 37 - 5 - 6
Goals For: 288 (4th in HFNHL)
Goals Against: 252 (17th in HFNHL)
Power Play/Penalty Kill: 15.7/84.3% (T 14th/T 15th in HFNHL)
Top Scorer: Jaromir Jagr - 90 points
Sabres 1, Flyers 2 (OT)
Flyers 4, Sabres 5
Keys to Success:
With two high powered offenses facing off, the key to this series for both teams is goaltending. Perennial Vezina candidate Martin Brodeur faces off against rookie Ryan Miller. In order for the Sabres to win, Miller needs not to be intimidated by Brodeur and play his game. Both teams made huge plays at the trade deadline, so a lot rides on this series.
The Prediction:
Flyers in 7
While the defending champion Sabres still remain a threat and have played well down the stretch, the Flyers with the addition of defenseman Wade Redden and Brodeur have been near unstoppable and roll into the playoffs on a 6 game winning streak.

THE WEST

1. St. Louis vs. 8. Canucks
Tale of the Tape:
St. Louis Blues
Record: 50 - 21 -11 - 3
Goals For: 291 (3rd in HFNHL)
Goals Against: 200 (1st in HFNHL)
Power Play/Penalty Kill: 20.5/87.3% (1st/5th in HFNHL)
Top Scorer: Joe Thornton - 98 points
Vancouver Canucks
Record: 41 - 36 - 5 - 5
Goals For: 278 (5th in HFNHL)
Goals Against: 246 (T 14th in HFNHL)
Power Play/Penalty Kill: 14.8/86.3% (17th/8th in HFNHL)
Top Scorer: Eric Staal - 82 points
Season Series: 2-0 Blues
Canucks 0, Blues 1
Blues 2, Canucks 1 (OT)
Keys to Success:
The Blues are the high powered juggernaut of the HFNHL, while the Canucks barely scrapped into the HFNHL playoffs. This screams mismatch, but it isn't as much of one as you would think. Both teams boast very solid offenses with incredible scoring depth. The Canucks vastly improved themselves at the trade deadline and are a much better team than when those two seasonal games were played. The Canucks desperately need a good series from Manny Legace in order to win.
The Prediction:
Blues in 6
It's a shame for the Canucks that they had to run into the Blues the first round, because if they were to match up with any other team in the league, I could see them potentially taking the series. The Blues are just too strong from top to bottom and should do away with the Canucks in a hard fought series.

2. Stars vs. 7. Sharks
Tale of the Tape:
Dallas Stars
Record: 47 - 28 -7 - 1
Goals For: 269 (11th in HFNHL)
Goals Against: 226 (7th in HFNHL)
Power Play/Penalty Kill: 14.4/87.5% (19th/4th in HFNHL)
Top Scorer: Bryan Mccabe - 92 points
San Jose Sharks
Record: 42 - 36 - 4 - 6
Goals For: 273 (8th in HFNHL)
Goals Against: 246 (T 14th in HFNHL)
Power Play/Penalty Kill: 20.1/85.1% (2nd/13th in HFNHL)
Top Scorer: Peter Forsberg - 92 points
Season Series: 4-4
Stars 3, Sharks 2
Stars 5, Sharks 3
Stars 0, Sharks 5
Sharks 3, Stars 2
Sharks 2, Stars 3
Stars 1, Sharks 6
Sharks 6, Stars 3
Sharks 0, Stars 5
Keys to Success:
The Stars are a very well balanced team whom roll two excellent scoring lines and provide solid defense infront of a solid game named Miika Kipprusoff. The Sharks are a complete enigma. They are very inconsistent, but can be dominating when the situation calls. The Stars need to stay out of the penalty box, as the Sharks have one of the most lethal power plays in the league. The Sharks need to stay healthy, as starting goaltender Cristobel Huet and 4th defenseman Craig Rivet are both nursing injuries. Back up goaltender Chris Osgood needs to be up the test while Huet recovers.
The Prediction:
Sharks in 7
Just call it a hunch, but the Sharks may be hungry. The Stars are the second most penalized team in the league and are matched up against one lethal power play which will punish them for being in the box. Defenseman Scott Niedermayer and Ed Jovonovski form one heck of a first pairing which should cause problems for Koivu, St Louis and Yashin. The Stars second unit of Horcoff, Roy and Ouellet are far too green to handle the responsibility of picking up the scoring slack. This will be one hard fought series...if the Sharks can find some enthusiasm to play.

3. Avalanche vs. 6. Flames
Tale of the Tape:
Colorado Avalanche
Record: 46 - 33 -3 - 2
Goals For: 272 (9th in HFNHL)
Goals Against: 249 (16th in HFNHL)
Power Play/Penalty Kill: 14.3/87.5% (21st/T 24th in HFNHL)
Top Scorer: Jason Allison - 86 points
Calgary Flames
Record: 42 - 36 - 4 - 6
Goals For: 275 (7th in HFNHL)
Goals Against: 241 (12th in HFNHL)
Power Play/Penalty Kill: 19.0/82.2% (5th/23rd in HFNHL)
Top Scorer: Vaclav Prospal - 92 points
Season Series: 6-2 Flames
Avs 1 Flames 3
Avs 2 Flames 7
Flames 4 Avs 3
Avs 4 Flames 7
Flames 3 Avs 2
Flames 1 Avs 2
Avs 3 Flames 2
Flames 8 Avs 4
Keys to Success:
Both teams are incredibly well balanced all the way through the line up and can roll three scoring lines. An obvious key to Flame victory is the continued strong play of goaltender Jason Labarbera who has been incredible this year. The Avalanche need a strong first playoff from rookie phenom Sidney Crosby and continued strong play from it's defense infront of goaltender Marc Denis.
The Prediction:
Flames in 6
It's hard to argue with the results of the season series. Labarbera makes or breaks this series for the Flames. If he can continue his cinderella run, than perhaps he is the Jocelyn Thibault of this years playoffs and the Avs could be in trouble.

4. Red Wings vs. 5. Ducks
Tale of the Tape:
Detroit Red Wings
Record: 53 - 24 -5 - 1
Goals For: 270 (10th in HFNHL)
Goals Against: 220 (4th in HFNHL)
Power Play/Penalty Kill: 15.7/87.2% (T 14th/6th in HFNHL)
Top Scorer: Brendan Shanahan - 78 points
Anaheim Ducks
Record: 45 - 31 - 6 - 6
Goals For: 258 (T 14th in HFNHL)
Goals Against: 233 (9th in HFNHL)
Power Play/Penalty Kill: 16.5/86.7% (13th/7th in HFNHL)
Top Scorer: Bryan Smolinski - 73 points
Season Series: 2-0 Wings
Red Wings 3, Ducks 1
Ducks 4, Red Wings 5
Keys to Success:
In terms of statistics, these two teams match up fairly strong. However the Wings are clearly the deeper team. For the Ducks to be able to put up a fight, they will need continued strong goaltending from veteran Sean Burke and perhaps a bit of prayer. The Wings need to just continue being the Wings, and not underestimate the Ducks.
The Prediction:
Wings in 4
Despite this being a 4 and 5 matchup, I believe this to be the largest mismatch in this years playoffs. Lets not forget that the Wings had the second best record in the entire HFNHL, yet are seeded 4th because they failed to win their division. They roll 4 offensively dangerous lines and have the strength to physically punish you. This one should be a laugher on paper.

Thats it, stay tuned for our second round coverage as the playoffs progress.
Esteban Santour,
Florida Post

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
The Prediction:
Wings in 4

Okay, one GM is the SIM GOD and the other GM is the Commissioner. I guess you prefer the SIM GOD. But I prefer the Commissioner because he will be running the draft lottery.

My prediction, Ducks in 4:yo:

Sep 23, 2005
Hamilton
Well, I'm glad at least one person isn't throwing in the towel for my team just yet! lol

HFNHL Red Wings

Well done Brock. I love this stuff but please don't jinx me with sweep predictions.
I'm honestly betting a 7 game series here and the Ducks have already had their slump to finish the season so given the 'streak effect' I honestly fear they may get hot against me :(

Likewise the Blues are coming in red hot (8-0-2) and could see a reversal of fortunes.

Is it possible the Wings and Blues might both get bumped in the first round?

Other than that I agree with most of your assessments especially the Sharks over the Stars. When I assumed I was going to be facing the Stars I was trying to figure out how to solve my teams poor Powerplay performance to exploit all those Stars penalties. The Sharks are ideally suited for this matchup.

Ville Isopaa

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Good work Brock! But I have to say that both teams (CGY & COL) looked completely different during the season series, so it's not a very good base for a prediction of the playoff series. Compared to the first 5 games of that series, there are 6 new better forwards(Kozlov, Recchi, Allison, Marchant, PÃ¥hlsson and Begin) and 3 new defensemen (Schneider, Hatcher and Boynton) in the lineup for Colorado. Also Calgary has traded away their series winning goalie, Gerber.

My prediction is Colorado in 6

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002
The Prediction:
Wings in 4
Despite this being a 4 and 5 matchup, I believe this to be the largest mismatch in this years playoffs. Lets not forget that the Wings had the second best record in the entire HFNHL, yet are seeded 4th because they failed to win their division. They roll 4 offensively dangerous lines and have the strength to physically punish you. This one should be a laugher on paper.

On paper, most people had the Ducks finishing near the bottom of the conference.

Fortunately, the Ducks don't believe in paper. They believe that paper is a myth being perpetuated by capitalist giants like Weyerhauser, Unisource, and Georgia Pacific that are bent on tearing down the trees that protect our wetlands.

Ponds are wetlands. Ducks live in ponds. People who believe in paper hate ducks. Hate makes Baby Jesus cry. Therefore, Baby Jesus is on the Ducks' side. As for Esteban Santour... ;)

How's that for applying the Transitive Property!

HFNHL Red Wings

On paper, most people had the Ducks finishing near the bottom of the conference.

Fortunately, the Ducks don't believe in paper. They believe that paper is a myth being perpetuated by capitalist giants like Weyerhauser, Unisource, and Georgia Pacific that are bent on tearing down the trees that protect our wetlands.

Ponds are wetlands. Ducks live in ponds. People who believe in paper hate ducks. Hate makes Baby Jesus cry. Therefore, Baby Jesus is on the Ducks' side. As for Esteban Santour... ;)

LMAO. Matt if you were ever looking for a job change I think, based on that style of argument, you'd make an excellent Press Secretary defending Bush policies :silly:

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA

Esteban Santour's grasp of the english language is not yet superior enough to understand this.

The truth is that he writes all his articles in spanish and than uses babelfish to translate them to english.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
The Prediction:
Wings in 4

Okay, one GM is the SIM GOD and the other GM is the Commissioner. I guess you prefer the SIM GOD. But I prefer the Commissioner because he will be running the draft lottery.

My prediction, Ducks in 4:yo:

Care to change your prediction now that your preference over the sim god has failed you!! :naughty:

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site

Ahmen! And to take this a step further, Detroit (aka "motor city") can clearly be linked to the excess of green house gases over the last few decades, so all the more reason to cheers on those poor little Ducks.

If I you didn't hate the Wings before, here's another reason to add to the growing list.

It's time for some other team to wear the black hat in the West.

HFNHL Red Wings

Ahmen! And to take this a step further, Detroit (aka "motor city") can clearly be linked to the excess of green house gases over the last few decades, so all the more reason to cheers on those poor little Ducks.

If I you didn't hate the Wings before, here's another reason to add to the growing list.

It's time for some other team to wear the black hat in the West.

After all these years I must have done something right this year with the Wings to be feared enough as to be consdered the evil empire. I'll wear the black hat as a badge of honour :darth:

Brent Burns Beard