2005/2006 draft combined!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvandenberg

Oct 19, 2003
2005/2006 NHL Draft

Now that the season looks like it will probably be cancelled, we might as well prepare for what will be the deepest draft ever. The 1979 draft produced many franchise players, and 2006 looks like it will be the same. Both the 05 and 06 drafts were going to be deep, so this crop will make GMs work overtime shlepping fringe players for additional pics.
Here is my projection at this time for the 2006 draft.

1. Sidney Crosby, C, Rimouski Oceanic QMJHL
2. Michal Frolik, C, Czech Republic (2006)
3. Gilbert Brule, C, Vancouver Giants WHL
4. Jesse Joensuu, RW, Finland (2006)
5. Phil Kessel, C, USNTDP Under-18 (2006)
6. Jack Johnson, D, USNTDP Under-18
7. Bobby Ryan, RW, Owen Sound AttackOHL
8. Alexander Vasyunov, LW, Russia (2006)
9. Benoit Pouliot, LW, Sudbury Wolves OHL
10. Jonathan Toews, C, Shattuck’s St. Mary’s USHS (2006)
11. Tuukka Rask, G, Finland
12. Carey Price, G, Tri-City Americans WHL
13. Ben Shutron, D, Kingston Frontenacs OHL (2006)
14. Ryan Parent, D, Guelph Storm OHL
15. Tomas Marcinko, LW, Slovakia (2006)
16. J.P. Levasseur, G, Rouyn-Noranda Huskies QMJHL
17. Devin Setoguchi, RW, Saskatoon Blades WHL
18. Guillaume Latendresse, RW, Drummondville Voltigeurs QMJHL
19. Alex Bourret, RW, Lewiston MAINEiacs QMJHL
20. Luc Bourdon, D, Val D’Or Foreurs QMJHL
21. Bryan Little, C, Barrie Colts OHL (2006)
22. Marek Zagrapan, C, Chicoutimi Sagueneens QMJHL
23. Kendal McArdle, LW, Moose Jaw Warriors WHL
24. Anze Kopitar, C, Slovenia
25. Marc Staal, D, Sudbury Wolves OHL
26. Niklas Bergfors, LW, Sweden
27. Jack Skille, RW, USNTDP Under-18
28. Jakub Kindl, D, Kitchener Rangers OHL
29. Ryan Stoa, C, USNTDP Under-18
30. Ryan O’Marra, C, Erie Otters OHL

31. Chris Durand, C, Seattle Thunderbirds WHL
32. Matt Lashoff, D, Kitchener Rangers OHL
33. Dan Bertram, RW, Boston College NCAA
34. Teemu Laakso, D, Finland
35. Alexandre Vincent, G, Chicoutimi Sagueneens QMJHL
36. Jason Legault, D, Victoriaville Tigres QMJHL (2006)
37. Erik Johnson, D, USNTDP Under-17 Team (2006)
38. Dustin Butler, G, Portland Winter Hawks WHL (2006)
39. Brendan Mikkelsen, D, Portland Winter Hawks WHL
40. Leland Irving, G, Everett Silvertips WHL (2006)
41. Michael Blunden, RW, Erie Otters OHL
42. Jiri Tlusty, LW, Czech Republic (2006)
43. Patrick Davis, LW, Kitchener Rangers OHL
44. Bobby Sanguinetti, D, Owen Sound Attack OHL (2006)
45. Ben Maxwell, C, Kootenay Ice WHL (2006)
46. Brian Lee, D, Moorhead USHS
47. Risto Korhonen, D, Finland
48. Denis Istomin, RW, Russia
49. Martin Hanzal, C, Czech Republic
50. Richard Lelkes, RW, Slovakia
51. Ryan White, C, Calgary Hitmen WHL (2006)
52. Slava Trukhno, C, PEI Rocket QMJHL
53. Chris Lawrence, C, Soo Greyhounds OHL
54. Nick Foligno, C, Sudbury Wolves OHL (2006)
55. Kyle Oksopo, LW, Shattuck’s St. Mary’s (2006)
56. Jordan Staal, C, Peterborough Petes OHL (2006)
57. Scott Jackson, D, Seattle Thunderbirds WHL
58. James Neal, LW, Plymouth Whalers OHL
59. JP Paquet, D, Shawinigan Cataractes QMJHL
60. Jakub Vojta. D, Czech Republic

TMHUNH

Feb 27, 2003
NH
Visit site
Who ever said the drafts would be combined??

I thought they would just have the 05 draft whenever an agreement is made (if past original draft date)?

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
TMHUNH said:

I thought they would just have the 05 draft whenever an agreement is made (if past original draft date)?
And to me that is clearly the best and fairest option. It would be interesting to see a combined draft, but I hope it doesn't happen.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
TMHUNH said:

In fact the NHL AND NHLPA have gone on record as has the Central scouting Bureau that legally it is not possible for the next draft anyways .. Teams have traded away draft picks already ..

If you combine 2 years in 1 then how do you honour that ??

Also there is a big problem with number of players selected .. A regular draft has 9 rounds of 30 players minimum with some added Compensation picks added in .. That is 270 kids drafted each year and their rights now belong to NHL teams .. If you combine draft and eliminate one then you are cheating 270 kids from being drafted as a result. These 270 kids would them go a overflow the following draft and the problem continues forever ... NOT Going to Happen ..

The NHL has said that it will NEVER combine and even if they have to have 2 drafts only days apart .. they will have 2 drafts to allocate these players rights ..

100 % locked in Stone .. only thing that changes from normal is that the next draft may not happen in June because of NO CBA, but that just pushes it back to a future day ... that is all ..

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
This draft will need 18 rounds......that would be interesting to say the least. It will take a couple weeks for me to learn about the Devils players drafted :)

CH Wizard

I wouldn't combine these two drafts.It'd bring so much confusions.Let's wait what'll happen.There would be too many rounds , its not gonna HAPPEN , mark my WORDS...

I like the idea of doing a lottery for the top 5 , top 10 etc..it'd be fair for all teams

Example : The results of the lottery(for the top5) will maybe be:

1 Chicago
2 Penguins
3 Washington
4 Phoenix
5 Columbus.

Last edited by a moderator:

cvandenberg

Oct 19, 2003
as if there will be 2 drafts!!

For one thing, we don't know what is going to happen because the reason they can't have the draft is that it has to be negotiated each time there is a new CBA.

Secondly, the draft used to be 13 rounds long, so length wouldn't be an issue.

Thirdly, if they don't combine the 2 drafts then how do you allocate picks; you can't give Pittsburgh 2 high round selections (or any of the other lottery teams) by holding 2 drafts that are based on the same order of missing the playoffs. That isn't exactly fair to the team that just made the playoffs as the eighth seed (that they don't get a shot at the top pick).

Finally, they used to draft twenty year olds not eighteen year olds. There have been some GMs who feel that the rule should be 20 because you have a much better feel for how a guy is going to turn out at 20, or even 19, then you do at 18.
Do you honestly think GMs are going to sit there for 2 drafts, when they could have one elongated one. If so I don't think any of you have attended a draft because it is BOR-ING. It doesn't matter what they say now. The players say they won't accept a salary cap and the owners say they won't play without one. Nothing is carved in stone.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
They wouldn't use the same order. there would be two seperate lotteries. They'd figure out a fair way to do it. I can near guarantee you that there won't be a combined draft. It would throw a lot of things off. Think about compensation...these kids have agents already..and a lot of kids that were expected to go first round in 2006 would just...opt out...because they didn't want to go in the second round of the "mega draft" and receive 2nd round compensation. They'd want the rookie max(whatever it might be under the new CBA). It could not and would not happen. You can create all those players in NHL 2005 if you want to see how it would pan out..but it simply isn't feasible in the real world.

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
Based on the way you just made your rankings, the Canucks could have picked up Anze Kopitar and Kyle Okposo in the late stages of each round, when they're considered to be top 10 picks in their draft.

Hell, I'd love it if that happened.:lol:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
NHL Draft Won't Be Held Until New Agreement Is Reached

The NHL has locked out its players in the absence of a new collective bargaining agreement.

The 2005 NHL entry draft is scheduled for June 25-26 in Ottawa. But Central Scouting director Frank Bonello says there has to be a new collective bargaining agreement for a draft to be held.

Bonello said if this NHL season is wiped out, but hockey resumes sometime later in 2005-06, a draft will be held then.

"If there were to be an agreement, say January '06, we would have a draft shortly after that time so that we'd have it prior to June '06 when the next draft is,'' Bonello said Wednesday. ``In other words, we would be very anxious to get a draft in so we don't miss it if that is the case.''

What would have to be hammered out as part of labor negotiations is the draft order. Normally teams own picks based on the previous season's standings and playoff results. The top picks are then determined by a weighted lottery

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=104862

http://midatlantic.comcastsportsnet.com/news/capitals/2004/NHL%20Lockout.asp

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Another interesting wrinkle can be seen as a result of previous trades. How mad would a GM be if he dealt away his first rounder for 2005 thinking it would be a late pick and there ended up being significantly talented players still on the board? The value of 2005 picks that have already been dealt would have been significantly higher if GM's knew the two drafts would be combined. I just don't see it being a reasonable solution... it would be great for a team like Vancouver or Colorado though (it's not like they need any more help... ;) ) as they'd get a chance at a top 10 talent where they otherwise wouldn't.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Jason MacIsaac said:
This draft will need 18 rounds......that would be interesting to say the least. It will take a couple weeks for me to learn about the Devils players drafted :)

yep the players won't agree to a combined draft unless the number of rounds/picks are doubled...290 players get drafted each year, meaning that 580 players would have to be drafted in a double draft. the players are going to allow only 290 picks and have a whole year worth of players not get picked...

and if you are going to do that, isn't it alot less complicated to just hold 2 separate drafts, even if that means holding the 2005 draft mid-season?

topshelf331

May 8, 2003
Stl
Visit site
Not to mention, what if we are locked out 2 seasons. It would be rediculous to combine 3 drafts.

I say since the owners already want to change the draft age to 20, they just do that.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Seachd said:
And to me that is clearly the best and fairest option. It would be interesting to see a combined draft, but I hope it doesn't happen.

I disagree, if there is no season, IMO having one combined "super draft" would be a much fairer option than holding a draft, and somehow making up the draft order.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
another possible (and probably the simplest option) would be to change the draft age...lots of people have argued that the draft age is too low. picking guys at 18 years old is a crap shoot. i've heard several scouts say that raising the draft age to 19 would greatly increase the chances of picking the right guy...and considering the fact that getting players thru the draft is the cheapest way to acquire talent, which is key with a cap system those increased odds will benefit every team.

the problem though is that you can't raise the draft age without skipping a draft year. so if they were ever going to seriously consider doing this, this lockout might provide the perfect and rare opportunity to do that. change the draft age and push the 2005 class back to 2006 and then each following class moves back 1 year.

potentially players from the 2005 draft class would sue claiming that they are preventing them from making a living...but if phil kessel sued claiming that he should be eligible for the 2005 draft because he is good enough, they wouldn't make him eligible. maurice clarrett didn't win his fight to be draft eligible...

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
John Flyers Fan said:
I disagree, if there is no season, IMO having one combined "super draft" would be a much fairer option than holding a draft, and somehow making up the draft order.

if they play next year then i agree that holding a 'super draft' based on those standing would be better than randomly making up the draft order...of course is using the 2005-06 standings for 2 draft years any different than using the 2003-04 standings again?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
cvandenberg said:
2005/2006 NHL Draft

Now that the season looks like it will probably be cancelled, we might as well prepare for what will be the deepest draft ever. The 1979 draft produced many franchise players, and 2006 looks like it will be the same. Both the 05 and 06 drafts were going to be deep, so this crop will make GMs work overtime shlepping fringe players for additional pics.
Here is my projection at this time for the 2006 draft.

1. Sidney Crosby, C, Rimouski Oceanic QMJHL
2. Michal Frolik, C, Czech Republic (2006)
3. Gilbert Brule, C, Vancouver Giants WHL
4. Jesse Joensuu, RW, Finland (2006)
5. Phil Kessel, C, USNTDP Under-18 (2006)
6. Jack Johnson, D, USNTDP Under-18
7. Bobby Ryan, RW, Owen Sound AttackOHL
8. Alexander Vasyunov, LW, Russia (2006)
9. Benoit Pouliot, LW, Sudbury Wolves OHL
10. Jonathan Toews, C, Shattuck’s St. Mary’s USHS (2006)
11. Tuukka Rask, G, Finland
12. Carey Price, G, Tri-City Americans WHL
13. Ben Shutron, D, Kingston Frontenacs OHL (2006)
14. Ryan Parent, D, Guelph Storm OHL
15. Tomas Marcinko, LW, Slovakia (2006)
16. J.P. Levasseur, G, Rouyn-Noranda Huskies QMJHL
17. Devin Setoguchi, RW, Saskatoon Blades WHL
18. Guillaume Latendresse, RW, Drummondville Voltigeurs QMJHL
19. Alex Bourret, RW, Lewiston MAINEiacs QMJHL
20. Luc Bourdon, D, Val D’Or Foreurs QMJHL
21. Bryan Little, C, Barrie Colts OHL (2006)
22. Marek Zagrapan, C, Chicoutimi Sagueneens QMJHL
23. Kendal McArdle, LW, Moose Jaw Warriors WHL
24. Anze Kopitar, C, Slovenia
25. Marc Staal, D, Sudbury Wolves OHL
26. Niklas Bergfors, LW, Sweden
27. Jack Skille, RW, USNTDP Under-18
28. Jakub Kindl, D, Kitchener Rangers OHL
29. Ryan Stoa, C, USNTDP Under-18
30. Ryan O’Marra, C, Erie Otters OHL

31. Chris Durand, C, Seattle Thunderbirds WHL
32. Matt Lashoff, D, Kitchener Rangers OHL
33. Dan Bertram, RW, Boston College NCAA
34. Teemu Laakso, D, Finland
35. Alexandre Vincent, G, Chicoutimi Sagueneens QMJHL
36. Jason Legault, D, Victoriaville Tigres QMJHL (2006)
37. Erik Johnson, D, USNTDP Under-17 Team (2006)
38. Dustin Butler, G, Portland Winter Hawks WHL (2006)
39. Brendan Mikkelsen, D, Portland Winter Hawks WHL
40. Leland Irving, G, Everett Silvertips WHL (2006)
41. Michael Blunden, RW, Erie Otters OHL
42. Jiri Tlusty, LW, Czech Republic (2006)
43. Patrick Davis, LW, Kitchener Rangers OHL
44. Bobby Sanguinetti, D, Owen Sound Attack OHL (2006)
45. Ben Maxwell, C, Kootenay Ice WHL (2006)
46. Brian Lee, D, Moorhead USHS
47. Risto Korhonen, D, Finland
48. Denis Istomin, RW, Russia
49. Martin Hanzal, C, Czech Republic
50. Richard Lelkes, RW, Slovakia
51. Ryan White, C, Calgary Hitmen WHL (2006)
52. Slava Trukhno, C, PEI Rocket QMJHL
53. Chris Lawrence, C, Soo Greyhounds OHL
54. Nick Foligno, C, Sudbury Wolves OHL (2006)
55. Kyle Oksopo, LW, Shattuck’s St. Mary’s (2006)
56. Jordan Staal, C, Peterborough Petes OHL (2006)
57. Scott Jackson, D, Seattle Thunderbirds WHL
58. James Neal, LW, Plymouth Whalers OHL
59. JP Paquet, D, Shawinigan Cataractes QMJHL
60. Jakub Vojta. D, Czech Republic

No Peter Mueller, huh?

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
TMHUNH said:

Exactly!

It wouldn't be that hard to have two seperate drafts for each birth year even if the drafts take place a week apart next June.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Perhaps a new rule will be in place if the season is cancelled. Maybe all the draft eligible prospects will become free agents or something.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
John Flyers Fan said:
I doubt they would "make up" the draft order. They would do something that at least resembles fair.

But it wouldn't be fair to teams that have already traded picks. When the Flyers, for example, traded their 3rd rounder, that's what they were trading. Not the equivalent of a late 1st/early 2nd or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad