OT: 2004 Stanley Cup Finals

PearJuice*

Tampa all the way.

I hated that Flames team. Such smug arseholes, lol.

Patchey*

I cheered for Calgary and Edmonton. I was younger and kind of stupid, so I found it kind of unfair that these two relatively new teams in non traditional markets deserved a cup win before Vancouver.

Steve Bennett*

Tampa. I despise calgry and canadian teams not in Vancouver...

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012
Wow, up until now I thought Brad Richards was American. As for the question -- nobody. I didn't know that hockey existed.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Calgary. I knew their fans were far more plentiful than Tampas, and would appreciate it far more.

I just can't root against the other Canadians teams that are still in the playoffs after the Canucks bow out. Tried to, and just can't bring myself to do it. I just empathize too much with their fans. I know what hockey means to Canadians. Even though we are rivals, I can't wish that pain on them.

DustyMartellaughs

Flashing the leather.
Jun 12, 2009
Dawson Creek, BC
Calgary. I knew their fans were far more plentiful than Tampas, and would appreciate it far more.

I just can't root against the other Canadians teams that are still in the playoffs after the Canucks bow out. Tried to, and just can't bring myself to do it. I just empathize too much with their fans. I know what hockey means to Canadians. Even though we are rivals, I can't wish that pain on them.

I can. Piece of cake. I can cheer for Ottawa or Montreal if I force myself, but the Leafs and the Alberta teams can finish 9th, and tied for 9th, in perpetuity and I wouldn't shed a tear.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
it's funny that it's 2/3 tampa in this thread, and most of the ones who cheered for calgary are now either apologizing for it or finding the need to qualify it. because that was the complete opposite of what it actually looked like in bars in vancouver at the time. man, that finals really showed the city to be the bandwagony jagoff central that it really is.

BrockH

Nov 12, 2008
Toronto, ON
I was pulling for the Flames. But I'm also one of those, 'cheer for Canadian team' types. Besides which, I grew up in Medicine Hat, so while I'm a Canucks fan through and through (Linden's hometown), Flames were actually my second team when I was younger. Now I don't really have a second team persay, but I'll still cheer for Canadian teams and original six teams before most others.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
Tampa. Screw Calgary - man, I never noticed before but I seem to really have issues with Alberta.. oh well - and screw the Flames.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
To be honest, I couldn't give a **** (and I"m not trying to come across as a smart alec). If the Canucks aren't in it, I don't cheer for any other team (I know this opens me up to alot of jokes on me but that IS my honest opinion lol).

Now, I might despise one team less than the other; but that's as far as I will go......

:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011

I used to be like that until '94. Then CBC did a story showing fans across the country cheering for the Rangers. That pretty much did it for me.

John McClane

Apr 23, 2012
Calgary, AB
This was before I was a Canucks fan (or really a hockey fan in general), and I lived in Calgary so I was rooting for the Flames pretty hard. Wasn't very old at the time, so don't hold it against me.

Haka

Aug 14, 2007
I cheered for Tampa because they were a very entertaining offensive squad that year, as opposed to Calgary who were one of the trappiest and most boring teams. I felt it was best for hockey if Tampa won.

jimmythescot

Jul 28, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland
I used to be like that until '94. Then CBC did a story showing fans across the country cheering for the Rangers. That pretty much did it for me.

If I'd seen that (was in Scotland in 94 which was before the internet was actually useful) I would have wised up earlier. I always thought it was just the last cup run when that happened.

Nuck Bonino

May 10, 2011
I cheered for Tampa because they were a very entertaining offensive squad that year, as opposed to Calgary who were one of the trappiest and most boring teams. I felt it was best for hockey if Tampa won.

Same here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad