OT: 2004 Stanley Cup Finals

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
Just curious, who were you Canucks fans rooting for in the 2004 Stanley Cup Finals? I assume most of you will say Tampa Bay since Calgary is your biggest rival, but the whole prospect of the cup being won by a team in Canada seemed to be pretty hyped up, even on ABC. Obviously that was Calgary's narrative, while Tampa's was Dave Andreychuk trying to win his first cup in his 22nd season, and ultimately succeeding.

Just curious about what you Canuck fans thoughts were during that series. As I said before, I expect Tampa to win this poll.

Brain Sergeant

Squirrel!
May 28, 2007
Tampa all the way. Way more better Canadian players on that team anyway that deserved it. Andrychuk, St Louis, Vinny, Richards, Boyles to name a few.

BrandonL

Jun 18, 2012
Tampa. I could never bring myself to cheer for the Flames or the Oilers to win a cup.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I was voting for Calgary, and I cheer for all of the Canadian teams generally except Mont, because I hated going to bloody games for 40 years listening to fans cheering for them. I lived in Winnipeg for 3 years, and followed the team as my close 2nd choice.

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
Flames. If the Canucks aren't in the playoffs, I usually cheer for any Canadian teams still left.

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012
tampa, i did some spastic dance on the floor of my living room when they won, ****in hated the flams

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Tampa. Wasn't even a question for me.

I liked Dave Andrechuk and wanted him to go out with a Cup ring, and Tampa only had one less Canadian player than the Flames. Those were my official reasons besides hating the Flames.

Pseudonymous*

I road tripped to Calgary to watch it at a local bar out there (Cowboys), so Calgary

Calgary got robbed of a goal in OT i believe

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Definitely Tampa. I loved their team, and while everyone treats Iginla like a god, I personally have more respect for Richards, St. Louis, Lecavalier, and Khabibullin than Iginla, and Kipprusoff. Their supporting cast was much more likeable as well (Andreychuk, come'on)-- and I hate Phaneuf.

Yes, it probably has alot to do with being a Canuck fan, but I think the only guys I liked on that Calgary team were Conroy and Regehr. I liked everyone on that Tampa squad, and they were a blast to watch.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Tampa Bay, but I was more just cheering against the Flames than cheering for the Lightning. I felt that this was another case of the league giving an easy ride to a team (Dallas, Tampa, and later Carolina, LA) that the league wanted to see win for marketing reasons. However, I just couldn't stand to see Calgary win. I think after years of missing the playoffs though, they've been sufficiently brought back down to earth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad