2003 Re-Draft #4 (Columbus)

CBJ Bob

Summer Time Blues
Jun 20, 2002
In Hiding
Visit site
Oh, no arguments here, terrible pick that set the franchise back many years.

Just found that particular posters reasoning interesting. Don't think anybody could have forseen what happened to Zherdev.

Zherdev exceeded our lowest expectations. Even after the CBJ went through so much effort and $ in fighting Russia to keep himin the NHL. We eventually traded our #1 and #2 pick for Tuitin(sp) so we atleast got something out of that draft. Anyway atleast we didn't pick Jessiman.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Bergeron is great and all but I think this poll is overrating him actually.

Suter is a minute munching D man who is quite skilled. He's a true number 1, which are very hard to come by.

That said I couldn't pass up Perry. This is a guy capable of 50 goals, plays a hard game and makes opponents hate him. It was very close between him and Suter for me, but I think with your highest pick you have to take the guy who is going to the biggest impact and I actually think that's Perry in this case (Weber would be different).

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Perry without a great center or great d-man does not make a great team. Suter or Bergeron would be better foundation pieces.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
That said I couldn't pass up Perry. This is a guy capable of 50 goals, plays a hard game and makes opponents hate him. It was very close between him and Suter for me, but I think with your highest pick you have to take the guy who is going to the biggest impact and I actually think that's Perry in this case (Weber would be different).

I only went Suter over Perry to build from the backend out. I think either of those two are a great choice.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Perry without a great center or great d-man does not make a great team. Suter or Bergeron would be better foundation pieces.

I disagree ... I think Corey Perry is a fantastic building piece. Every team he's ever played on, he's been a standout player. Even the Team Canada brass talked about how good he was and how much he surprised them.

Bergeron is a great center ... for your second line. Since 2007, his highest output in any season was 64 points. Not the kind of franchise center I want to build around ... but, I'd love him on the second line.

Suter would be my other argument for our pick here, but I think Perry's overall upside outweighs my love for Suter.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Sorry Sam but I respectfully disagree. There were plenty of red flags with Zherdev. He had a reputation for not playing any defense and he had issues with his coach in Moscow. I remember an interview with Don Boyd where he said he had Phaneuf at the top of his list and the entire scouting department recomended Vanek but ole xGMDM went for Zherdev. Nobody will deny that Zherdev was absolutely gifted offensively but... This draft really is what really held us back. So much talent and it was so deep. Every other team moved forward except for us. Our 2nd round was a bust, our 3rd round never came over to NA...

Just like when everyone told him to draft Kopitar in '05 and he went with Gilbert Brule...sometimes, I lay awake at night and wonder where this franchise could have been after the lockout if we just had a GM who could hit on, say, ONE THIRD of his high draft picks. For a team that so desperately needed a #1 center from day 1, xGMDM passed on a lot of talented #1 centers to draft busts. I know some say the Jackets were bad, but just not bad enough to get the #1 or #2 overall pick like Chicago and Pittsburgh did for several years in a row. It wouldn't have mattered. Maclean would have effed that up and passed on Toews, Crosby, Malkin, Kane, etc.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
I disagree ... I think Corey Perry is a fantastic building piece. Every team he's ever played on, he's been a standout player. Even the Team Canada brass talked about how good he was and how much he surprised them.

Bergeron is a great center ... for your second line. Since 2007, his highest output in any season was 64 points. Not the kind of franchise center I want to build around ... but, I'd love him on the second line.

Suter would be my other argument for our pick here, but I think Perry's overall upside outweighs my love for Suter.

My feelings exactly. It was very close with Suter, it kind of depends on how you want to build as well (and what other assets you see yourself having). But raw vacuum BPA, I think it's Perry.

Just like when everyone told him to draft Kopitar in '05 and he went with Gilbert Brule...sometimes, I lay awake at night and wonder where this franchise could have been after the lockout if we just had a GM who could hit on, say, ONE THIRD of his high draft picks. For a team that so desperately needed a #1 center from day 1, xGMDM passed on a lot of talented #1 centers to draft busts. I know some say the Jackets were bad, but just not bad enough to get the #1 or #2 overall pick like Chicago and Pittsburgh did for several years in a row. It wouldn't have mattered. Maclean would have effed that up and passed on Toews, Crosby, Malkin, Kane, etc.

I don't think you need to quantify a success rate. I just wish he'd listened to his scouts. Maybe said players would have been different with us (development issues and all during xGMDM tenure) but still....

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Well he's been to 3 Stanley Cup finals now, I dont think his attitude is causing any issues.

This... CBJ fan needs to stop whatever it's called about ex-players who wanted to play elsewhere... it's not personal it's NHL business... Doing so on a continuous basis looks too much like whining or sour grapes all the time instead of moving forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad