2003 Re-Draft #4 (Columbus)

GFS

Apr 12, 2010
tW8v4LA.png

Select the best player available without taking team needs into consideration.

No.​
|
Team
|
Player​
|Pittsburgh|Shea Weber
2​
|Carolina|Eric Staal
|Florida|Ryan Getzlaf

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Let us all remember that, with all of the above options still on the board, the pick was Nikolai Zherdev.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
On talent alone I would have taken Carter. But knowing his attitude issue while here I opted for Bergeron.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Suter in the 1st, could have had Weber with the 2nd round pick (in 2003, not in this re-draft version obviously). And Pavelski went at #205 (7th round). Add those 3 guys to a Rick Nash....ugh.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Suter in the 1st, could have had Weber with the 2nd round pick (in 2003, not in this re-draft version obviously). And Pavelski went at #205 (7th round). Add those 3 guys to a Rick Nash....ugh.

Pavelski was 2002-eligible, but was passed over by everyone.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
It's hard to pick between Suter and Bergeron. If a team doesn't have a top centerman or a top defenceman you have to prioritize picking one of those two, and at the time we had neither. I'm going with Patrice Bergeron.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
Probably Bergeron. But even though I hate him now Backes is a helluva player. So I might go off the board with him. But probably Bergeron.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Let us all remember that, with all of the above options still on the board, the pick was Nikolai Zherdev.

Just remember that this is 10 years out and for all your defending of Howson by "nobody could have seen x happening"; that defense applies just as well to Zherdev as well. ;)

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
It's hard to pick between Suter and Bergeron. If a team doesn't have a top centerman or a top defenceman you have to prioritize picking one of those two, and at the time we had neither. I'm going with Patrice Bergeron.

So obviously Douggie Mac went Zherdev / Fristche with the 1st and 2nd round picks.

CBJ Bob

Summer Time Blues
Jun 20, 2002
In Hiding
Visit site
Just remember that this is 10 years out and for all your defending of Howson by "nobody could have seen x happening"; that defense applies just as well to Zherdev as well. ;)

Sorry Sam but I respectfully disagree. There were plenty of red flags with Zherdev. He had a reputation for not playing any defense and he had issues with his coach in Moscow. I remember an interview with Don Boyd where he said he had Phaneuf at the top of his list and the entire scouting department recomended Vanek but ole xGMDM went for Zherdev. Nobody will deny that Zherdev was absolutely gifted offensively but... This draft really is what really held us back. So much talent and it was so deep. Every other team moved forward except for us. Our 2nd round was a bust, our 3rd round never came over to NA...

thebus2288*

Say what you want about Zherdev but he is/WAS just as skilled offensively as the top 10 or so guys in the world. Sure he could be inconsistent but not any worse than many players in the past and future. I really don't know any of the off ice issues besides what I've read on here but I think he was given a lot of undeserved **** over the years by our fans and hockey fans in general. I understand that with his high draft position and obvious offensive talent that people always had higher expectations, but he was never really a BAD player for us. The teams we had back then had way worse problems than Zherdev not being a 2 way team player. I would love if we somehow signed him and threw out a Jenner-Johansen-Zherdev line.

But going back I guess the pick would have to be Suter or Bergeron. Neither guy probably helps us as much as you guys think and its actually more than possible that both guys wouldn't have turned into what they are today and Zherdev turned into an all star with Nashville or Boston.

CBJ Bob

Summer Time Blues
Jun 20, 2002
In Hiding
Visit site
Wat. Zherdev just got thrown off like 3 teams last year. I don't think he'll ever play again.

I can't speak for the KHL but he wore out his welcome with 3 NHL teams all for basically the same issue, laziness. IMO the highest skill level offensively of any CBJ ever. He had all the tools but lacked a tool box.:shakehead

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Say what you want about Zherdev but he is/WAS just as skilled offensively as the top 10 or so guys in the world. Sure he could be inconsistent but not any worse than many players in the past and future. I really don't know any of the off ice issues besides what I've read on here but I think he was given a lot of undeserved **** over the years by our fans and hockey fans in general. I understand that with his high draft position and obvious offensive talent that people always had higher expectations, but he was never really a BAD player for us. The teams we had back then had way worse problems than Zherdev not being a 2 way team player. I would love if we somehow signed him and threw out a Jenner-Johansen-Zherdev line.

Which is exactly why he has been a multiple time all-star in Ottawa.:sarcasm:

thebus2288*

Which is exactly why he has been a multiple time all-star in Ottawa.:sarcasm:

2003 was a strong draft so that's obviously the extra ammo people have against Zherdev. Anyone who really thinks Zherdev was a "failure" here need to remember our last high Russian pick. The funny(sad?) thing is that most actually do seem to forget how bad it really can be. Although I do probably have a way higher opinion of TJ Tynan than everybody else on here.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
2003 was a strong draft so that's obviously the extra ammo people have against Zherdev. Anyone who really thinks Zherdev was a "failure" here need to remember our last high Russian pick. The funny(sad?) thing is that most actually do seem to forget how bad it really can be. Although I do probably have a way higher opinion of TJ Tynan than everybody else on here.

WTF does TJ Tynan have anything to do with this thread?

thebus2288*

WTF does TJ Tynan have anything to do with this thread?

Well I may be off but there was a comment made about an all-star in Ottawa. I'm pretty sure its in reference to the hypothetical situation of "our last high Russian pick" being un-ruined and setting the league on fire like some (mainly Canadian) fans on here thought would happen. That guy is Nikita Filatov. Filatov was traded for the pick where we selected TJ Tynan. Ok? What does *****in bout TJ Tynan being in this thread have anything to do with this thread?

Sidenote: A quick search of that trade brings up the puckdaddy story. Some of you probably remember but there's a tweet on there from Umberger giving praise to Howson for the move. Pretty funny now with RJ's current status with the team.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Sorry Sam but I respectfully disagree. There were plenty of red flags with Zherdev. He had a reputation for not playing any defense and he had issues with his coach in Moscow. I remember an interview with Don Boyd where he said he had Phaneuf at the top of his list and the entire scouting department recomended Vanek but ole xGMDM went for Zherdev. Nobody will deny that Zherdev was absolutely gifted offensively but... This draft really is what really held us back. So much talent and it was so deep. Every other team moved forward except for us. Our 2nd round was a bust, our 3rd round never came over to NA...

Oh, no arguments here, terrible pick that set the franchise back many years.

Just found that particular posters reasoning interesting. Don't think anybody could have forseen what happened to Zherdev.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Event closes
    • Updated: