2003 draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
I did a research from the 95-00 drafts and on average, 3-4 guys from the top 10 either dont make the NHL altogether or dont turn out to be the players they were predicted to be.

So from the 03 draft, which of these players do you think wont meet expectations or bust altogether?

Marc Andre Fleury
Eric Staal
Nathan Horton
Nikolai Zherdev
Thomas Vanek
Milan Michalek
Ryan Suter
Braydon Coburn
Dion Phaneuf
Andrei Kostitsyn

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I wouldn't call any of them busts since it seems likely that injury problems are going to be what causes a couple of them to have careers that aren't what they were projected to be. Horton, Kostitsyn and Michalek are the only three question marks of the draft for me.

NJDevils#4

Since 2002, bishes
Jul 11, 2002
New Jersey
Visit site
Fluery and Zherdev are pretty much out of the question as far as busts. Horton seems to be a prime candidate for a bust. I don't see Phanuef being a bust either. Suter, Horton, and Michalek would be my picks if i had to pick 3.

X-SHARKIE

Michalek is healthy now and has been skating for the past three months and is looking good according to Sharks brass...and he's shown he can play in the NHL by scoring a goal and looking strong in his brief appearances. He will be ready to compete for a spot at camp so we'll see. I think he'll be in the NHL this year and judging by Sharks brass comments, they expect it.

It's not really a question if Michaleks skill level is good enough for the NHL, when he's healthy he is a NHL caliber player, it's just the health issues... We'll have to see if they have been resolved by the surgeries and rehab.

PJ Wiggum

Jun 7, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
Kostsitson is the most likely player to bust out of the top 10 because of his raw skills and trouble adapting to the N.A. game in his first year at the AHL level, but that being said he also has potential to be a top 5 player in this draft year (although it is highly unlikely). Other than that I think Michalek and Horton's injuries could lower their impact but the same thing could happen to any player.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:
Michalek is healthy now and has been skating for the past three months and is looking good according to Sharks brass...and he's shown he can play in the NHL by scoring a goal and looking strong in his brief appearances. He will be ready to compete for a spot at camp so we'll see. I think he'll be in the NHL this year and judging by Sharks brass comments, they expect it.

It's not really a question if Michaleks skill level is good enough for the NHL, when he's healthy he is a NHL caliber player, it's just the health issues... We'll have to see if they have been resolved by the surgeries and rehab.
Same with Horton. If any player on that list has shown a true flash of NHL dominance, it was Horton. Before he was injured he looked like an NHL Allstar powerforward, carrying the pathetic panthers team to moderate success for a little while. If he's healthy there's little doubt with him, but the health issue is a big question mark.

Kastsytsin is the guy outta those who I'd think could bust.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
I am a big fan of Michaleks I really think he is going to be a super solid two way player who can put up around 60 to 70 points a year...his offensive tools are very underrated and he is going to be better than Handzus I would think.

Hobey Baker

May 27, 2004
Charlestown
sabresprospects.com
DaveG said:
I wouldn't call any of them busts since it seems likely that injury problems are going to be what causes a couple of them to have careers that aren't what they were projected to be. Horton, Kostitsyn and Michalek are the only three question marks of the draft for me.
Bingo

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
12# Peter Bondra said:
I did a research from the 95-00 drafts and on average, 3-4 guys from the top 10 either dont make the NHL altogether or dont turn out to be the players they were predicted to be.

So from the 03 draft, which of these players do you think wont meet expectations or bust altogether?

Marc Andre Fleury
Eric Staal
Nathan Horton
Nikolai Zherdev
Thomas Vanek
Milan Michalek
Ryan Suter
Braydon Coburn
Dion Phaneuf
Andrei Kostitsyn
Nathan Horton
Milan Michalek
Andrei Kostitsyn
Braydon Coburn

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Horton- I don't think he'll bust, but he'll have an abbreviated career. His injury is going to be a tough one to fully recover from and if he has any future problems with it...
Michalek- See Horton.
Coburn- Never been a fan.
Kostitsyn- Also never been a fan.

MojoJojo

Jan 31, 2003
Philadelphia
Visit site
Marc Andres Fleury without question. He has lightning fast reflexes, but his total game is not that great. Very sloppy IMO, and I question his mental toughness and consistency. For such a touted pick, I was extremely dissapointed with him in the AHL. Yeah, yeah its too early to tell with goalies; but thats precisely why they dont tend to be taken until the later rounds. All the top 2003 picks have high potential, but none is more dangerous to bust as MAC.

salty justice

May 25, 2004
Los Angeles
I think Fleury is the biggest boom/bust guy in the top 10 that year. Horton will be similar with his injury. So they would be the best bets for busts, but Id wait atleast 3 years before I make that judgement.

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca
12# Peter Bondra said:

Marc Andre Fleury
Eric Staal
Nathan Horton
Nikolai Zherdev
Thomas Vanek
Milan Michalek
Ryan Suter
Braydon Coburn
Dion Phaneuf
Andrei Kostitsyn

My 2 cents

Status