News Article: 20 years after the Jaromir Jagr trade, former Penguin Kris Beech has found peace

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Who really expected shit? The pens got like $18mil in savings the deal.. That's what they traded for. No one thought those players were going to fill jagrs place

Too bad Beech was just another unremarkable nhler... At least he got to the big show for a few years

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
/ccpa/

Poor guy had some ridiculous expectations placed on him. Glad he’s found happiness. Also I promise that link works.

Reporters really feel the need to dig into a guys life who couldn't handle life in the center stage of big league sports?

Not really sure why that was ever even 'published'.

Reactions: EightyOne

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
It's rather crazy how many silver linings there are, for all sides, on something that worked out so terribly at the time for all sides.

Absolutely wrecked my world at the time, and I know I'm far from alone there even though we were all pretty much in the acceptance stage of grief by the time the trade went down...just mind-blowing to think of the timing of it all given how it both seems like several lifetimes ago and, like, 3 years ago at the same time. The beginning of the end is how it felt...and damn were we set for some bleak f***ing darkness those next few years...but sometimes a forest needs to burn before it can thrive again.

Higuera-fireweed.png

I'll always get a bit of joy out of knowing that we'd eventually win 3 Cups with the core the 2nd dark ages resulted in...3 more than Jagr would win before continuing his career in perpetuity with Kladno. Not going to lie, that makes it a hell of a lot easier to look back at this positively, rather than the way we all reacted to it for years afterward. Those burned trees have long since been reclaimed by the Earth...and whatever complaints we can have of the modern Penguins, it's still comparatively pure joy compared to the blazing inferno of the early/mid 00s...and, man, seeing our team win 3 Cups after the dull pain of nearly losing the team entirely makes it hard for me not to cherish the run we've had. There's so much pain that can be focused on, but so many positives that we couldn't have seen at the time.

I still feel bad for the prospect trio we got in return. They were never going to live up to who they were traded for, and the need to soften the blow of the trade to fans led to some truly regrettable comparisons being made. One thing that I've been consistent on from the day the trade happened - I'll take my chance on 3 lottery tickets over the 'lol f*** you' package that the Rangers were offering, so certain of being the only team that could afford Jagr as they were. Beech working out was at least a possibility...even before Pavel Brendl played a professional game that dude's game reeked of decade-old milk.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Two years ago today, he posted a picture of himself wearing a black Capitals jersey and posing in front of the White House along with a message to fans.
“Caps fans,” he wrote. “Sorry it didn’t work out, but I try my best. After 18 years we should look the positive way. If I would play very good, you would have never had a chance to draft OVI. And you probably didn’t win the Cup last year. You welcome.”

Jags is such a jackass.

Reactions: tread102

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I don't think many had much in the way of real expectations at the time. The main point, of course, was the cash to keep the team afloat. Though I do think that we were all kinda hopeful that perhaps SOMETHING would come of at least one of the three. Sivek actually looked OK from what I recall but I think he took one look around and figured retiring overseas was a better option.

As Big said... at least the Caps put on a halfway decent show of putting a package together. The Rangers were just like "lol... gimmie."

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I don't think many had much in the way of real expectations at the time. The main point, of course, was the cash to keep the team afloat. Though I do think that we were all kinda hopeful that perhaps SOMETHING would come of at least one of the three. Sivek actually looked OK from what I recall but I think he took one look around and figured retiring overseas was a better option.

As Big said... at least the Caps put on a halfway decent show of putting a package together. The Rangers were just like "lol... gimmie."

The best possible piece rumored with the Rangers was Jan Hlaváč, who was fresh off one of the least impressive 60 point seasons of the era and wouldn't sniff half that ever again.

Rather humorously Philadelphia got stuck with those two bums (and non-bum Kim Johnsson) a few months later in the Lindros trade. Hlaváč was so immediately impressive that he was traded for Donald Brashear by Christmas.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
The best possible piece rumored with the Rangers was Jan Hlaváč, who was fresh off one of the least impressive 60 point seasons of the era and wouldn't sniff half that ever again.

Rather humorously Philadelphia got stuck with those two bums (and non-bum Kim Johnsson) a few months later in the Lindros trade. Hlaváč was so immediately impressive that he was traded for Donald Brashear by Christmas.

They eventually tagged us with that Kovalev trade return, though.

f***ing yikes to that one. Arguably worse than the Jagr trade.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
I had no idea the struggles that Beech went through. Good to see he's doing a lot better.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Who really expected shit? The pens got like $18mil in savings the deal.. That's what they traded for. No one thought those players were going to fill jagrs place

Too bad Beech was just another unremarkable nhler... At least he got to the big show for a few years

I recall hoping that they would actually be NHL players, but not much more than that. I sort of recall thinking this seemed like a Pirates trade, so expectations of any of the trash we got for a quality professional were - at least in my puny mind - pretty low.

Reactions: EightyOne

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Fans: "That's awful. He's proof we shouldn't place unrealistic expectations on these kids."

Also fans: "Samuel Poulin is going to be the next Hossa by next season!"
782578789c60ff95c9f9db701dfac609.gif

According to many people here, he should have been Hossa this past season. Gotta crawl before you walk - let the guy at least play in the AHL.

Last edited:

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Good for him, most knew he wasn't some superstar in the making. It was just tragic the team didn't really get any future pieces that could have stuck around for the Sid/Geno era in some fashion to make it sting a little less, but we should understand the reasonings for the trade in general.

He had a lowkey successful career and retired on a really good final season. Congrats on the peace of mind, Kris.:thumbu:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
That and the Kovalev trades were irredeemable. They didn’t even get prospects back in that one. Every one of those guys except Samuelson had cleared waivers prior.

I know they were financial trades but it’s unforgivable CP couldn’t get a pile of picks instead of guys they could had for free a year prior.

Reactions: Mario_is_BACK!!

EvGeno

Looks like a basketball player!
Jul 11, 2009
Phoenix via Pgh
I didn’t/couldn’t read the article, but I liked that he dated former KDKA newscaster Sonni Abatta when I was in high school...no idea why she passed on the married name Sonni Beech.

Reactions: bathroomSTAAL

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
That trade was so f***ing terrible. It should be the posterboy for this site on why you don’t put so much emphasis for trading your established NHL impact players just for prospects.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
That and the Kovalev trades were irredeemable. They didn’t even get prospects back in that one. Every one of those guys except Samuelson had cleared waivers prior.

I know they were financial trades but it’s unforgivable CP couldn’t get a pile of picks instead of guys they could had for free a year prior.

I remember CP saying that they could have got better return but they wouldn't be able to afford those players. I feel like Antropov was one of them for some reason?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

I mean, they got 4 million in cash for Kovalev. That was probably the reality of what they needed at that point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad