Post-Game Talk: #20| Pittsburgh Penguins @ New York Islanders | February 27th | 7:00 PM | F/OTL 4-3

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Varlamov can't fiigure out Letang's wristers can he? That must've been the 4th wrister he's conceded from him this season. Really poor game by him.

Isles really need to take their chances. Can't miss like Bailey and Pelech did in the 2nd.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Varly was compromised the first 2 goals. As others have stated, including me, he played well enough to win.

For whatever reason, they are reversing their outcome the past two seasons; they play scared, hesitant against the Pens this year.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Last year Boston owned us, this year we own them. Last year we owned Pittsburgh, this year they own us.

I’m kinda baffled by some Trotz roster moves this year, may have cost at least 3-4 losses. Don’t understand sitting Sorokin 1 1/2 weeks after he gets a shutout, now you expect him to come in sharp after all that time off ? Bizarre. Obviously Varlamov played like he was fatigued. At age 33, Varlamov should be getting 2 starts to every 1 for Sorokin, not 4 to every 1. Can’t keep both goalies sharp by giving a guy 4 starts out of 20. And starting the other guy 16 out of 20.
I'm guessing that BT has been trying to bank wins to try and give the Isles a bit of a cushion before letting Sorokin carry more of the load but I agree, Varly won't hold up and Sorokin can't improve the way starts are being distributed now. Let's hope we get a good showing from Moby this afternoon and then perhaps BT will feel comfortable being in more of a 2 or 3 starts to 1 rather than a 4 to 1 rhythm.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Are we talking about the same Butch Goring?

His hotel room broken into while he was playing and his wardrobe wasn't stolen. When he coached in the 90s it was earth-tones. He's infamous for his bad fashion. I suspect his second wife has whipped him into shape as she's a producer with MSG.

I wasn't really talking about his fashion oeuvre, more about how he appears on the broadcast. And like his aesthetic or not, his suits usually fit. Last night was weird in that regard.

Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Last year Boston owned us, this year we own them. Last year we owned Pittsburgh, this year they own us.

I’m kinda baffled by some Trotz roster moves this year, may have cost at least 3-4 losses. Don’t understand sitting Sorokin 1 1/2 weeks after he gets a shutout, now you expect him to come in sharp after all that time off ? Bizarre. Obviously Varlamov played like he was fatigued. At age 33, Varlamov should be getting 2 starts to every 1 for Sorokin, not 4 to every 1. Can’t keep both goalies sharp by giving a guy 4 starts out of 20. And starting the other guy 16 out of 20.
We're trying to bank points NOW, not ease in a rookie goaltender.

Entering this game Semyon Varlamov was 9-4 with a 2.06 GA, .928 sv% and 3 shutouts. You would sit him more often because Sorokin got his 1st shutout in his 1st win???

Reactions: Strummergas

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Varly was compromised the first 2 goals. As others have stated, including me, he played well enough to win.

For whatever reason, they are reversing their outcome the past two seasons; they play scared, hesitant against the Pens this year.
He was, but I think he got rattled by the Crosby goal where he lost his edge. After that he didn't seem quite right the rest of the way.

Reactions: BelovedIsles

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
We're trying to bank points NOW, not ease in a rookie goaltender.

Entering this game Semyon Varlamov was 9-4 with a 2.06 GA, .928 sv% and 3 shutouts. You would sit him more often because Sorokin got his 1st shutout in his 1st win???

The reason given by the poster was that Varlamov may be now getting overworked and Sorokin not enough reps to develop consistency. Not an outlandish take. Islanders generally have done better in rolling two goalies consistently.

Personally, I have no problem with Trotz riding Varlamov. But for me last night was the first game that Varlamov looked off... possibly due to overwork. Hopefully, going forward using Sorokin more becomes a viable option... it would be for the betterment of both players and team now. It’s also the organization’s long-term development plan.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
The reason given by the poster was that Varlamov may be now getting overworked and Sorokin not enough reps to develop consistency. Not an outlandish take. Islanders generally have done better in rolling two goalies consistently.

Personally, I have no problem with Trotz riding Varlamov. But for me last night was the first game that Varlamov looked off... possibly due to overwork. Hopefully, going forward using Sorokin more becomes a viable option... it would be for the betterment of both players and team now. It’s also the organization’s long-term development plan.
Until last night Varlamov was showing no signs he was being overworked. Maybe now there is a sign.

Reactions: Strummergas

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Until last night Varlamov was showing no signs he was being overworked. Maybe now there is a sign.
I wouldn't expect Varly to show signs of overwork at this point in the season, and who knows what the reasons for last night's hiccups were. What matters is that we don't want him to get to a point of overworked, or hurt, because all we have at this point is a very inexperienced backup who still needs reps to be ready for those eventualities should they occur.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006

Agree. Just as I said before, I’ve not had any problem with Trotz goalie decisions thus far. I mean, maybe Sorokin could’ve gotten the last Buffalo game? :dunno: But I certainly don’t see that as quibble worthy.

Sorokin was getting the start today anyway. But it pretty much goes without saying that hopefully he does EARN more starts going forward. I’m pretty sure that was always the plan anyway.

I’m hoping that Sorokin maybe becomes a bit of a puzzle to the Penguins specific. Isles could use anything to break that frustrating bad luck streak.

Reactions: MJF

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I wouldn't expect Varly to show signs of overwork at this point in the season, and who knows what the reasons for last night's hiccups were. What matters is that we don't want him to get to a point of overworked, or hurt, because all we have at this point is a very inexperienced backup who still needs reps to be ready for those eventualities should they occur.

Agree with the bolded.

Also, I wouldn’t even say yesterday was so much physical (although I feel like he has taken some hard run-ins recently). I’m just wondering if it becomes a bit of mental overwork?

I don’t know how to describe it. But the analogy I always think of is that Varlamov is like an antenna radio. Working just fine then just loses clear reception. He’s had episodes where his game just turns south for some games.

For example, had a great playoffs and equally bad second half of the Philadelphia series. Maybe it’s a Pennsylvania hockey team thing with him?

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Agree with the bolded.

Also, I wouldn’t even say yesterday was so much physical (although I feel like he has taken some hard run-ins recently). I’m just wondering if it becomes a bit of mental overwork?

I don’t know how to describe it. But the analogy I always think of is that Varlamov is like an antenna radio. Working just fine then just loses clear reception. He’s had episodes where his game just turns south for some games.

For example, had a great playoffs and equally bad second half of the Philadelphia series. Maybe it’s a Pennsylvania hockey team thing with him?
I'm not going to overthink it. Any time you make a mistake like Varly did last night a (when he tripped unmolested leading to Sid's goal), you're probably going to be off the whole night. It's like in any profession. I used to have to do a fair amount of public speaking and was generally pretty good at it, but on those occasions when I did stumble or lose my train of thought or whatever, particularly if it happened at or near the beginning, I often found it tough to rally back to full composure. I'd get through it, but would never feel right. I suspect that is what was at play last night.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I'm not going to overthink it. Any time you make a mistake like Varly did last night a (when he tripped unmolested leading to Sid's goal), you're probably going to be off the whole night. It's like in any profession. I used to have to do a fair amount of public speaking and was generally pretty good at it, but on those occasions when I did stumble or lose my train of thought or whatever, particularly if it happened at or near the beginning, I often found it tough to rally back to full composure. I'd get through it, but would never feel right. I suspect that is what was at play last night.

Great post. One of the worst feelings as someone who played goalie a lot is allowing a goal you know is weak and the whole team knows is weak. You can have the strongest mental game ever but when you know you f*** up the level that Varlamov did it is difficult to bounce back. That second goal was solely because of the confidence level of Varlamov.

Reactions: Uncle Duke

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I wouldn't over-think what happened to Varlamov. Nobody plays at a high level every game. He's human, it happens.

Varly had a bad game and he might be a little fatigued. I'd leave it at that. Now let's get Ilya a W today!

Reactions: YearlyLottery

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad