20 goal game in the OHL today

Status
Not open for further replies.

turnbuckle*

Don't waste too much typing on Claypool. He's the same sage who contended the other day that what Schremp does is irrelevant because he's doing it against 16 and 17-year-olds predominantly.

Even though it was correctly pointed out to him that the majority of junior players are 18-20, and not 16 or 17, he chose to ignore this fact, and backed up his incorrect claim with someone else's irrelevant stat that pointed out that a junior team can have as many 16-year-olds as 20 year olds if it so chooses.

This does not change the fact that most teams have no more than 6-8 players under 18 years of age on their roster, and those players are usually not receiving the lion's share of ice time. Many a 16-17 year-old rides the pine; not many 19-20-year-olds are afforded the same treatment; if they are they're soon gone. It should also be noted that there are several players who are 21 by the end of the season, Guelph's Ryan Callahan for one turns 21 this week. Schremp isn't far off the average age of OHLers - on his team alone ther are six forwards older than himself.

Averaging 4.5 points per game is no small feat, even if it is for 6 games. Thing is Schremp doesn't appear to be slowing down - what's next, a run at Sittler?

OHL teams to date this season are averaging about 4 goals per game, yet Schremp by himself is averaging more points per game than teams are averaging total goals. That has never been done in junior hockey over the course of a season (not saying he's going to do it, but he's on pace) and BTW Claypool, there have been some decent players play junior hockey through the years.

I've never been a Schremp fan, but that attitude is changing. You cannot help but marvel at his start.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Vman said:
who had the other 8 point record?
It's been done a few times. Perry did it last year, and other names mentioned were Tim Taylor and Dennis Maruk.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I agree with Dale Hunter about running up the score when the opposition starts running at your best players. Wholeheartedly.

I just find it extremely ironic coming from Dale Hunter, who made his living TAKING LIBERTIES WITH OPPOSING BEST PLAYERS.

Alanis Morissette, where are you?

Transported Upstater

Jag68Vlady27 said:
I agree with Dale Hunter about running up the score when the opposition starts running at your best players. Wholeheartedly.

I just find it extremely ironic coming from Dale Hunter, who made his living TAKING LIBERTIES WITH OPPOSING BEST PLAYERS.

Alanis Morissette, where are you?

I agree with Hunter's philosophy in that sense. Every time someone runs a player of mine (that didn't do something to deserve it) would get at least 2-3 more red lights of humiliation and laughter.

Vman

Mar 10, 2003
hfboards.com
Freaky Habs Fan said:
2G-1A...he's now 4th in the league scoring! Impressive for a 7th round pick who played in a Belarus league last year :eek:
Is he Andrei Kostitsyn's little brother?
How about the Perry that scored 3 goals this game? Is he Corry Perry's little brother?

MomentsofSanity

Sep 20, 2005
London, ON
Vman said:
Is he Andrei Kostitsyn's little brother?
How about the Perry that scored 3 goals this game? Is he Corry Perry's little brother?

Yes and Yes

Also Corey Syvret, Danny's little brother is also on the team this year.... gets confusing for us fans with AJ Perry and Corey Syvret on the ice together.

Also in watching this game, I don't think it can be said that any liberties were taken with the Knights players. Where St. Mike's did get alot of penalties in the third they weren't really running at the Knight's players...

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
MomentsofSanity said:
Yes and Yes

Also Corey Syvret, Danny's little brother is also on the team this year.... gets confusing for us fans with AJ Perry and Corey Syvret on the ice together.

Also in watching this game, I don't think it can be said that any liberties were taken with the Knights players. Where St. Mike's did get alot of penalties in the third they weren't really running at the Knight's players...

How was Kostitsyn? Is he really good or it's just because he's on a powerhouse?

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
MomentsofSanity said:
Yes and Yes

Don't forget the next in line of great Steadman hockey players too

MomentsofSanity

Sep 20, 2005
London, ON
Freaky Habs Fan said:

He seems pretty solid thus far. He was doing well before Hunter and Schremp returned as well. With London employing 5 forwards on the power play he has been getting considerable ice time and he will learn the North American game well under the Hunter's.

Only thing I have noticed with Sergei is the puck has a nasty habit of skipping over his stick alot when he's playing back on point on the PP... perhaps it's just something I am looking for from noticing once or twice.

Fists of Fuhry

Jun 26, 2002
Visit site
Freaky Habs Fan said:

I really like the kid - saw him live at the game today: In short, he can skate, hit, score, and is really big for his age. I think you guys got a steal on your hands.. :handclap:

McThome

Aug 12, 2003
Edmonton
www.geocities.com
Say what you want about Schremp - fact is he's clearly been the most dominating player in junior hockey so far. If the guy would have been in London for the start of the season and played at his early pace he'd be half way to 100 points already!!!!

I mean, when you're playing at a pace where you could drop 1.5 points a game a still flirt with 200, you're doin somethin pretty damned impressive.

AgentNaslund*

thome_26 said:
Say what you want about Schremp - fact is he's clearly been the most dominating player in junior hockey so far. If the guy would have been in London for the start of the season and played at his early pace he'd be half way to 100 points already!!!!

I mean, when you're playing at a pace where you could drop 1.5 points a game a still flirt with 200, you're doin somethin pretty damned impressive.

agree, doesent matter if its junior hockey, what ever hes doing, is really impressive. That stats are quite amazing, and he has no Perry with him this time around. It be nice if more U.S born players chose the CHL.

KStewart113

Jun 21, 2005
With Schremp the go toguy in London he gets a chance to show his skills. Would have been nice to see some highlights.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
MomentsofSanity said:
Agreed... there were no liberties, and IMHO the Majors showed phenomenal (almost inhuman) restraint in not getting completely frustrated at the officiating. A couple of good scraps that both sides enjoyed, but there were no liberties or cheapshots anywhere to inspire the running-up of the score. The game could have been a bloodbath, but props to the Majors coaching staff for keeping their kids from going off the deep end. It would have been so easy and so hockey-typical for things to go completely haywire in that third period. Hopefully the league office will take a close look at the officiating in that game and hand out some form of admonishment to those referees.

turnbuckle*

Fists of Fuhry said:
I really like the kid - saw him live at the game today: In short, he can skate, hit, score, and is really big for his age. I think you guys got a steal on your hands.. :handclap:

He's not really big for his age - he's 6-0, 190 lbs. at the most. No doubting he's got talent though, and the Habs look like they got good value.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
#2eddieshore said:
was the game a sell out?
:dunno: It might have been close, because a lot of London fans who can't get tickets at home might have bought up the rest of St. Mike's Arena. :dunno:

Normally the games here aren't anything like sold out, though.

storm fan

Dec 20, 2004
Ryan Callahan of the Guelph Storm does not turn 21 anytime soon. He will be 21 on the 21st of March, 2006.

rigger

Aug 18, 2004
Jessica Alba's Dream
I am not really sure what Schremp did wrong to have all these Schremp haters. I mean I know the demanding a trade and all that, but the kid was 16. At 16 I made a mistake or two along the way. Obviously it would be nearly impossible to keep up his stats, but come on people. 28 POINTS IN 6 GAMES!!!! That deserves credit. He is quite possibly the most offensively talented player in the CHL and definitely the most offensively effective for sure. I for one am ecstatic that he is doing so well. He is not the best defensively but neither was Kovalchul, Hossa was a liability early on, Nash has and is criticized for his defensive abilities. Guess what guys, when a player is this good at scoring, we will get over his lapses, pair him with Peca in edmonton next year and no problem. Besides, players make good livings being a checking forward and doing little offensively, why not have a guy that is paid to score. I really like this guy, and edmonton is full of guys that play solid defense, we need a Schremp to come to the rescue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad