Post-Game Talk: 20 games left

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I mean in his eyes we're 6 points out of "the mix" with games in hand

True. It's been slightly confusing here with the same discussions in 3 threads but this is the topic. How bad is this team really? How far away does mangement think we are and how does the motive of ownership effect our plans for the OS?

It's gonna be a long spring waiting until June 21, June 23, and July 1st.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Wings still have a chance to win the presidents trophy I think. Even though it's .1. Wooooo

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
Report Nielsen as MIA, where the heck was that guy? Pathetic.

Nielsen is not a player that can carry this team offensively. Even his best year would not be enough for this current Wings roster. Which is why his signing was a horrible idea.

Absolutely. After that disheartening goal in OT Hank was the last Wing off the ice giving what looked like encouragement to his teammates. Zetterberg is a warrior and deserves better than this.

I seent that, but his face looked like he was just so over it.

Shadywing19

Jan 26, 2013

He's not far off. Think about it. If a) mrazek plays at least average this season we have more points. B)most man games lost to injury (I know that includes franzen and vitale) but u have to think a little injury luck and that would account for a few more points. And c) the powerplay. If it clicks at even a little better pace. It's more points.

Now I'm not sayin this team has any business being in the playoffs. But if a few of those factors I mentioned were reversed. The standings look way different.

Edit: I'm sure most teams can have there own list of things. So maybe it wouldn't change much ha

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Unfortunately it's not. We're in for seasons of this level of hockey.

Report Nielsen as MIA, where the heck was that guy? Pathetic. Helm was the best player tonight and that's never a good sign. The hope repeated that Larkin, Mantha, and AA are the future core of a contending team is fantasy talk. All the freedom to take control and they can't do antyhing. Callahan sadly I see nothing positive there, terrible skating. Kronwall should have some pride and LTIR. We are truly ****ed.

Gee Nielsen scored twice the other night in Vancouver not sure what we expect from him, He is what he is even with the Islanders his best season was only 58 points he had 52 points last season and 30 points so far with Detroit.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Nielsen is not a player that can carry this team offensively. Even his best year would not be enough for this current Wings roster. Which is why his signing was a horrible idea.

No, what makes it bad is the Wings not taking advantage of it to give Larkin reps at center on the third line. With Datsyuk gone, Sheahan imploding, Helm's health being a big question mark, and Z looking his age last year (and just being his age this year) we needed another capable center.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

If Holland only has one season left, and dear god let's hope that's the case, then it makes sense for him to sell hope and tell everyone everything is gonna break just right next yer and we'll make it into the playoffs on the final day of the season in a brand new arena. Hopefully there is an internal discussion going on that understands next year will be Holland's final year at the helm and they will make a full on effort to hire the best GM possible, which means it will be an external candidate.

I honestly don't want Holland and his team managing a full on rebuild. Let them select a top 10 draft pick this year and hope they don't screw it up. By the time the following draft comes along we will likely have yet another top 10 pick and hopefully a GM and scouting team that has a very strong track record with regards to drafting and development.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
If Holland only has one season left, and dear god let's hope that's the case, then it makes sense for him to sell hope and tell everyone everything is gonna break just right next yer and we'll make it into the playoffs on the final day of the season in a brand new arena. Hopefully there is an internal discussion going on that understands next year will be Holland's final year at the helm and they will make a full on effort to hire the best GM possible, which means it will be an external candidate.

I honestly don't want Holland and his team managing a full on rebuild. Let them select a top 10 draft pick this year and hope they don't screw it up. By the time the following draft comes along we will likely have yet another top 10 pick and hopefully a GM and scouting team that has a very strong track record with regards to drafting and development.

Chances of that happening is very, very slim. We're more likely to draft the next Nick Lidstrom this upcoming draft.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Tatar has no goddamn brain. As soon as Calgary gets the puck he needs to be skating back to cover his man, instead he gives up the two-on-one.

I thought you were talking about him tying the game with two seconds left. :laugh:

I can never root for the Wings to lose, but c'mon we need a good pick!!

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I wanted to go to one more last game to the Joe as a farewell. But the team is just too bad, I am not going to pay to see this mess.

If they are good next season and try to make the playoffs, I'll buy tickets for the new arena.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I wanted to go to one more last game to the Joe as a farewell. But the team is just too bad, I am not going to pay to see this mess.

If they are good next season and try to make the playoffs, I'll buy tickets for the new arena.

:laugh: You seriously think they weren't trying to make the playoffs this year? Ken Holland had the most expensive roster in the league. His entire approach over the past 5 years has been to just make the playoffs. This is the natural consequence of seeing your roster slightly decline year over year. There are no high level NHL'ers coming to offset the loss of Lidstrom, Datsyuk, and Zetterberg when he was still a high level NHL player. So the options are pretty clear: you either accept the inevitability of the futility of building off a slowly eroding edifice and make long term plans to shore up the base in order to have a solid foundation for the future, or you simply pretend the erosion will magically stop at some point before the entire infrastructure comes crashing down.

So now we wait and see what happens. :popcorn:

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
:laugh: You seriously think they weren't trying to make the playoffs this year? Ken Holland had the most expensive roster in the league. His entire approach over the past 5 years has been to just make the playoffs. This is the natural consequence of seeing your roster slightly decline year over year. There are no high level NHL'ers coming to offset the loss of Lidstrom, Datsyuk, and Zetterberg when he was still a high level NHL player. So the options are pretty clear: you either accept the inevitability of the futility of building off a slowly eroding edifice and make long term plans to shore up the base in order to have a solid foundation for the future, or you simply pretend the erosion will magically stop at some point before the entire infrastructure comes crashing down.

So now we wait and see what happens. :popcorn:

What does any of that have to do with me paying to go see a farewell game at the Joe? If they are better next year, I will pay to go see them play at the new arena. If they are a dumpster fire like this season, I'll simply opt-out and save my money.

I hope they compete for a playoff spot next season, because I would love to pay to see them play at the new arena.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

I don't think anyone can blame you. This team is just painful.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
hope the fluke goal we scored at the end doesn't lead to us getting a significantly worse player in the draft because we got a point

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
What does any of that have to do with me paying to go see a farewell game at the Joe? If they are better next year, I will pay to go see them play at the new arena. If they are a dumpster fire like this season, I'll simply opt-out and save my money.

I hope they compete for a playoff spot next season, because I would love to pay to see them play at the new arena.
I believe he was saying that the expectation is for the same approach to continue, and thus the team will very very likely be awful again next year. But maybe I misunderstood.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad