Post-Game Talk: #20 | FLYERS 2 at Devils 5 | Sunday, Nov. 28, 2021 | 7:00 pm ET | MSG+, NBCSP

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I have only seen 1 Flyers game live. I flew to Ottawa which is approx 600 miles away only to watch them get shut out.

Pretty depressing to have seen game and never got to see a goal.

I saw them at the Bell Centre (Montreal) twice. In the first, the Legion of Doom curbstomped them, but in the much more recent second game, they got blanked 3-0. There was zero to be happy about in that game. And my Canadiens fan friend happily cheered twice as loud as he normally would.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I saw them at the Bell Centre (Montreal) twice. In the first, the Legion of Doom curbstomped them, but in the much more recent second game, they got blanked 3-0. There was zero to be happy about in that game. And my Canadiens fan friend happily cheered twice as loud as he normally would.

You should have held his hand in a bowl of warm cheese to make him poop himself.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
You should have held his hand in a bowl of warm cheese to make him poop himself.

Yeah, really missed my chance on that entirely plausible situation. ;) I made a vow to not see the Flyers at the Bell Centre, at least with him, for the foreseeable future. I saw them in Ottawa a few years ago and they routed the Senators. It seemed like half the attendance were in O&B.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Yeah, really missed my chance on that entirely plausible situation. ;) I made a vow to not see the Flyers at the Bell Centre, at least with him, for the foreseeable future. I saw them in Ottawa a few years ago and they routed the Senators. It seemed like half the attendance were in O&B.

We always have tons of fans here in St. Louis, too. I have been lucky to see them a ton of times, and most of that time was when they were on that long streak of smashing the shit out of the Blues, but I haven't been to see them in a very long time.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I could begrudgingly live with Yeo to run out the seasonas long as they surrounded him with strong assistant coaches, at least one of whom is a promising candidate for HC next season. Also, replace Laperriere with someone who has a chance to coach up to the Flyers.

@Ghosts Beer, I am glad you asked about names because I have been at a loss to identify anyone but the usual retreads and don't know the minors a fraction as well as several on here do. The only name I had in mind was Sheldon Keefe, but he would only theoretically become available if the Leafs crashed and burned again in the playoffs.
I think the marginal value of one NHL coach over another is less than people think.

At this point, I care more about personality than anything else. Someone who will at least make things more interesting and entertaining to watch.

Bring me Patrick Roy for all I care.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I think the marginal value of one NHL coach over another is less than people think.

At this point, I care more about personality than anything else. Someone who will at least make things more interesting and entertaining to watch.

Bring me Patrick Roy for all I care.

That might work for a reality show about the team, but when it comes to watching the actual team play then you may want to consider something beyond the coach being a dick

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto

I've only seen the Flyers in Toronto once because of the frequency with which they play here and, well, Toronto ticket prices. My friend took me for my birthday and it was a 0-0 game that ended with this. Not the biggest shootout fan in the world, but that Giroux goal was amazing to see live.

Last edited:

Canfly

Nov 25, 2016
I have seen the flyers play four times.
Three times in Ottawa and once in Toronto a few years ago when they got blown out and Johnnson scored three goals in one period. By the end of the game I was hammered to take some of the pain away. Hahaha.
In Ottawa they won twice and lost once. The game they lost was 4-0 and Laughton got hurt that game.

I definitely have to get to Philly for a game when they play a better brand of hockey.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
That might work for a reality show about the team, but when it comes to watching the actual team play then you may want to consider something beyond the coach being a dick
If they're going to hire someone else, I just don't want it to be someone boring (providing he also is competent, of course). I don't think it's going to make much of a difference other than perhaps psychologically.

I have a feeling it's going to be Tocchet, who is actually someone I don't want because I'm not sure he's that competent.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
If they're going to hire someone else, I just don't want it to be someone boring (providing he also is competent, of course). I don't think it's going to make much of a difference other than perhaps psychologically.

I have a feeling it's going to be Tocchet, who is actually someone I don't want because I'm not sure he's that competent.

It seems pretty difficult to combine interesting and competent these days.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
What matters is they hire an interim coach, so they can do a real search this summer, and stay away from retreads.
I think Scott won't want to give out another big contract in any case, if he's paying AV $10M to sit at home.

Reactions: renberg

Shrike

Dec 5, 2019
But we hire a gm who has a type of player he likes to sign but isn’t smart enough to hire a coach who has a system that gets the most out of the players the gm likes to sign. That is where Dave Scott needs to be able to make a decision. None of this is working and the players stop caring. This is where we are.

Comcast needs to replace Dave Scott with someone who has zero tolerance for failure. My choice is tortorella but I don’t care who it is as long as they become intolerable when stuff isn’t working. That replacement needs to hire a gm who understands the Philly fan base and modern player analysis and cap management.

FanForLife

Oct 27, 2018
Winnipeg
I am literally clicking on NHL website waiting..hoping...to read "Alain Vigneault fired. For me, what drives me crazy in regards to his coaching him is always talk after losses about what went wrong, but NEVER any correction!!! Maybe that's not on him if the players aren't listening/performing, but either way he is the one that has to go.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
How can you think that coaching doesn't matter when they implement the system you play, who plays with who, and how much they play.

Just think, this system has our 3rd leading scorer on pace for 45 points for the year.

And in another system, Drai has 40 points.

IT. ALL. MATTERS.

Edit....fixed...lol.

Last edited:

Hextallent63

Oct 13, 2011
How can you think that coaching doesn't matter when they implement the system you play, who plays with who, and how much they play.

Just think, this system has our 3rd leading scorer on pace for 45 points for the year.

And in another system, Kadri ALREADY has 40 points.

IT. ALL. MATTERS.
its why jvr and farabee' usage has me baffled

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
When I kept asking if it's really a good idea to toss Risto or Yandle into a defensive system that will do much by its nature to pull them out of position if they follow orders while also often leaving them totally isolated, yeah. That's why. It matters. Without Sanheim to shield him, Risto is exposed. Yandle is just...yeesh. Worse, somehow, which is really something.

There is no such thing as "sheltered usage" on AV's Flyers. You will find yourself in difficult situations.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015

And in another system, Kadri ALREADY has 40 points.

IT. ALL. MATTERS.

You mean Draisaitl? He's leading the league with 40. Kadri has 27 (which doesn't really refute your post).

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire

I went to a TB/Flyers game that ended 0-0 and Gagne hurting his shoulder if it makes you feel any better. Cechmanek started

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad