Post-Game Talk: #20 | FLYERS 2 at Devils 5 | Sunday, Nov. 28, 2021 | 7:00 pm ET | MSG+, NBCSP

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
would be hard for most of that crowd to start calling out the new coach after the first couple losses if they did that

I know I'm quaking in my boots wondering what people will think if I criticize a new coach after criticizing the old coach and the old coach before him. It would be super hard to live with myself if I did that or if moronic f***nuggets on the internet saw me doing that.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I know I'm quaking in my boots wondering what people will think if I criticize a new coach after criticizing the old coach and the old coach before him. It would be super hard to live with myself if I did that or if moronic f***nuggets on the internet saw me doing that.

Apparently it's totally beyond the realm of reason that a team with a long history of hiring buttshow coaches might hire yet another one

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I think AV and Fletcher are both on thin ice. I also didn’t expect to wake up this morning to see a house cleaning. They have to find replacements before (if) they blow it up.

Briere is in the running to be the new GM in Montreal. The Flyers should replace him with Fletcher they way they replaced Hextall with Fletcher three years ago. Then Briere can sort out the coaching situation, starting by firing his old adversary Michel Therrien.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Loved Laviolette.

For an up tempo coach, that defense would have likely caused problems. I had hoped he would be more malleable to what his lineup dictated - but alas.

The most obvious change after he was hired in Nashville, and continuing in Washington, is that he moved from a left wing lock to an "any wing lock." The weak side winger immediately gets back at possession change, or is available to rush in transition. He was running something closer to a regular left wing lock with us. So when it came time to clamp down defensively, it meant the left wing was held back for safety and extra support and it took away half the ice for transition. Which is why our transition became a constant slog up the right boards almost exclusively, which was really predictable and really easy to stop. Anyone who watched Flyers tape didn't even need to do a systems breakdown on us, all they'd need to do is notice that we only used half the ice and then take that away.

This on top of a pretty immobile and limited D group that existed to be meatshields and nothing else, was not good.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Not only is this team awful, it’s boring as well! Can’t take watching them any more. Just no heart. Hart is ok though. . Just nothing to be excited about. May have to start watching basketball. Ugh.

That's the real issue for me.

Winning a Cup would be fantastic, but I know it takes a lot of things going right to win the Cup in any given year. I will probably care more about that if the team is ever a legitimate contender again.

For now, I would be happy with a talented and competitive team.

This ain't it.

Lurch

Apr 11, 2011
Central PA / Central Florida
Right there with you. Was brought up attending Hershey Bears games. Fell in love with the Flyers in 85 when Ron Hextall played in the AHL and have been on board ever since. There is nothing I am looking forward to with this team. No excitement coming and no hope of a change in the next few years. Can’t imagine pulling for any other team but darn, I miss hockey.

I felt nothing with this loss. No anger. No sadness. I just don’t care. This franchise has become a joke pretty much because of the lack of hockey IQ in the ownership group. The equity built up with the fans has run out. The product on the ice is bad. I find myself enjoying other teams. Been a fan for 30 years after my first game when I was 5. This is a low moment. Didn’t even feel that in the 10 game loser streak in 2018

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
You want Chuck fired or not? Firing AV doesn't do dick to help us.
Chuck isn’t getting fired right now. The next coach will be the best indicator as to the arrow is pointing. But now the national beat is starting to take notice and words like ‘pressure’ and ‘desperation’ are the descriptors.

The organization is not in a rebuild scenario. Everyone can have their pick of the lot as to which heads will roll in Voorhees, and it’s fine by me if it’s all of them, but there’s a difference when it comes to what the situation actually is. The players changed, for better or worse, the expectations are what they are - they haven’t changed. The directive is what it is. I don’t think the leash is long for Fletcher either, but it’s not running out this week. He’s here for the balance of the season.

Reactions: renberg

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I think AV and Fletcher are both on thin ice. I also didn’t expect to wake up this morning to see a house cleaning. They have to find replacements before (if) they blow it up.
I'll be surprised if Vigneault is around tomorrow afternoon. That sack of gold that is owed to him is most likely why he wasn't dumped in the off season. He begged for time and his players so Scott and Fletcher gave them to him. Now the time has come for AV to leave.
I don't think that Fletcher will get canned. Usually a GM gets more than one hire. For all that we know, hiring AV was not all his decision but a group one between the hockey guys and management. Both wanted a splash of a hire after Hakstol/Gordon.
Where they go from here is anyone's guess. It's a hard time to get a quality fresh face. It might be time to bring in a caretaker to finish out the season. Hitchcock or Boudreau? The only problem with that is that the club may get a dead cat bounce and perform well. The talent is there if used wisely. If that happens, how do the Flyers go out and get a different guy in the off season? My money would be on BB getting the job for now.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Chuck isn’t getting fired right now. The next coach will be the best indicator as to the arrow is pointing. But now the national beat is starting to take notice and words like ‘pressure’ and ‘desperation’ are the descriptors.

The organization is not in a rebuild scenario. Everyone can have their pick of the lot as to which heads will roll in Voorhees, and it’s fine by me if it’s all of them, but there’s a difference when it comes to what the situation actually is. The players changed, for better or worse, the expectations are what they are - they haven’t changed. The directive is what it is. I don’t think the leash is long for Fletcher either, but it’s not running out this week. He’s here for the balance of the season.

Right. That does absolutely nothing to refute my assertion that everyone deciding anything in this organization is one very stupid motherf***er.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
The first thing that the organization needs to do is to define itself. Then go out and be that type of club, keeping in mind the audience that it has in this city. The genius of Ed Snider was that he did that and stuck to it. It made the fans happy and him a lot of money. Comcast/Scott would be well served to follow that lead.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
You wanted a name. I gave you a name.

I was fine with him. By all accounts he was responsible for the transition and zone entry schemes, which worked, and not the perimeter offense feeding the dmen, which was all Hakstol. His prior record was stellar.
If Knoblauch is your guy, he's your guy. Maybe he'd be good, maybe he'd be bad. I have no idea, though personality-wise he wouldn't be my choice. I just find it surprising since I recall the coaching staff getting bashed quite a bit when he was here, including complaints about Knoblauch's PP.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Let’s be real, we all know it’s gonna be Yeo. He seems to be the only coach not taking a ton of criticism. Yeo will be the interim. And it will be announced later today. Bet.

I could begrudgingly live with Yeo to run out the seasonas long as they surrounded him with strong assistant coaches, at least one of whom is a promising candidate for HC next season. Also, replace Laperriere with someone who has a chance to coach up to the Flyers.

@Ghosts Beer, I am glad you asked about names because I have been at a loss to identify anyone but the usual retreads and don't know the minors a fraction as well as several on here do. The only name I had in mind was Sheldon Keefe, but he would only theoretically become available if the Leafs crashed and burned again in the playoffs.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
If Fletcher isn't fired it's likely his boy Yeo is the next head coach.

That Fletcher/Yeo combo f***ing sucks. We've seen that in action up north. Fletcher's Calgary-tainted filthass needs to be thrown clear of the office and the whole building and arena hosed out. And Yeo can go with him.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Apparently it's totally beyond the realm of reason that a team with a long history of hiring buttshow coaches might hire yet another one

What I love is seeing Hak fail in Seattle. Not because I hate him as a person. Because of the endless amounts of lame “Look at Berube, it’s obviously the players” posts we had to endure after their skin-of-their-teeth berth and Cup win.

Canfly

Nov 25, 2016
What I love is seeing Hak fail in Seattle. Not because I hate him as a person. Because of the endless amounts of lame “Look at Berube, it’s obviously the players” posts we had to endure after their skin-of-their-teeth berth and Cup win.
The reason Berube went on a Stanley cup run was they brought Binnington up from the AHL and he was lights out.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The reason Berube went on a Stanley cup run was they brought Binnington up from the AHL and he was lights out.
The year before Binnington did that, he lost a playoff series to the *Phantoms* while on loan to the Bruins farm team. He was playing for an organization he wasn’t even signed to.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad