GDT: #20 // Coyotes @ Stars // 20 Nov 630pm AZ Time // FSA

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
So here was what I saw from the game:

- The only goal that is on Smith was the last one. Not a great goal to give up, but I think he was slightly screened and thought the puck was shot higher on his body. You can see him start to lift his arm just for a second, and that was enough to squeak by. Not the worst goal to give up, but the fact that he was in decent position and still let one go short side was tough.

- Our forwards did not look horrible - people talk about Korpi like he is useless, but there were at least two situations where he brought the puck in the offensive zone with two Stars players around him. He tried to move the puck, but Dallas had a decent enough recovery and back-check to disrupt the intended target. Rieder was very noticeable.

- Schlemko took some god-awful penalties

- The game really turned when Dallas had the goal negated. And not just in the remainder of the 2nd period. The Stars kept going after it the rest of the game.

Our biggest issue is that we lack poise and response. We don't respond well or don't respond at all. Whether it is the physical side of the game, or a positive situation, or even negative ones - it is like we have no reaction of urgency whatsoever. Maybe we simply are too green to respond. Dallas gets the goal taken away, and they responded by pushing the pace. Both teams go into the locker room, and my expectation would be that the Stars will continue to push in the 3rd, as they had some decent chances in the 2nd. We basically come out with nowhere near the effort required, and the Stars score early, then score a few seconds later with a great deflection. I don't know if we did not expect this or think about this, but our response was awful.

Before it was up to Doan to say the right thing to help this team respond, with other teammates' support. Now, it doesn't look like anyone can say or do the right thing. That's what scares the living crap out of me once Doan leaves, b/c I don't think we have the leadership on this team to dig deep or set the stage for other players to dig deep. We played a great 40 minutes of hockey, but the last 20 doomed us.

Our biggest issue is our talent! Always has been.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Yeah I wouldn't be either. Doan still seems like a Smith supporter as well.

Speaking of players turning, how many do you think are still bought into Tippetts koolaid? I want to see some big changes soon. I think a lot of this started last year. Rib's probably made things even more sour, and now we are stuck with a half ***** roster that is turning on each other and the coach. I honestly want Doan to go to a contender so I have a team to root for during the playoffs and so we can really reevaluate the leadership in the room and see who really wants to be on the team.

Who said they are turning on each other? I think most players like playing for DT, or at least that's what's been said. As far as leadership goes, I belive DT and DM have a good handle on that.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Who said they are turning on each other? I think most players like playing for DT, or at least that's what's been said. As far as leadership goes, I belive DT and DM have a good handle on that.

I agree. It wasn't that long ago we made the playoffs and had a good run. Granted, our team was a bit different back then than it is now. But just goes to show you the talent level just isn't there. That is on GMDM and DT for not getting the right talent and having the right talent on the ice. But seriously, where would this franchise be if it weren't for DT and GMDM? I don't want to look at the past as to why we can give them a pass, and I'm all for moving on and looking to the future. But all signs point to us having a good draft this past year, and a few more and we could be solid down the road.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
If you ask a team to climb a mountain, they'll believe you at first. Start stripping away parts while asking them to climb even higher and you'll start losing the room. It becomes a mental grind when you know you have to play balls out AND nearly perfect to even have a chance at winning most nights. Shaky goaltending is just the cherry on top.

Losing Vrbata and Ribeiro hurt the team mentally. Then they went with the whole "we've got to get back to the Coyote way" spiel in camp. Young players have been a shot in the arm because they don't realize what a grind it is. That's why Rieder is out there going full speed most shifts.

It's just time to admit that this team can't win as configured, and make the appropriate changes.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
If you ask a team to climb a mountain, they'll believe you at first. Start stripping away parts while asking them to climb even higher and you'll start losing the room. It becomes a mental grind when you know you have to play balls out AND nearly perfect to even have a chance at winning most nights. Shaky goaltending is just the cherry on top.

Losing Vrbata and Ribeiro hurt the team mentally. Then they went with the whole "we've got to get back to the Coyote way" spiel in camp. Young players have been a shot in the arm because they don't realize what a grind it is. That's why Rieder is out there going full speed most shifts.

It's just time to admit that this team can't win as configured, and make the appropriate changes.

With a new owner, we will know the direction of the club by 1-1-15.

Our lack of money to spend which has resulted in a lack of talent, has now caught up to us. The team is not overachieving for Tip, we have not picked up a vezina candidate goalie off the waver wire, we have not signed a 38 year old 75 point forward, and the next 19 year old top 10 player (OEL), has not magically appeared from Portland. DM's luck has run out and Tip can't get blood out of a turnip, that simple.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad