20-21 Season Tank Thread (MOD WARNING IN OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hemty

"Magni Consili Angelus"
Jan 14, 2015
Riga
soundcloud.com
Outside of the last 10 games of a season where you're 20 points out of the playoffs, nope. I've never been a tanking advocate.

It's not enjoyable to watch games cheering for the team to lose. But at this point the only thing that matters is being as terrible as possible to leverage these idiots out of here.
This. All the years this thread has been open, this has been the reason for this thread.
Whilst i've been lurking around all those years i didn't even see any other reason from people, its always been about management and feeling sorry for our young players :laugh:.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Doors open boys!
JgDmss.gif

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Maybe there should be a complementary thread entitled, "Which of the 51 Years of Devote Failure has Been the Worst and Why?"

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
frank the tank frank the tank

let's be reality though how typical would it be for us to finally win a draft lottery only when there is no distinct #1 pick and the best player in the draft could be anyone. That said, this is a great year to load up on picks because there are bound to be 1st round caliber players who slide.

aside from that the ultimate goal here is to finally be rid of this absurd management group and coaching staff

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Team Tank since 2015, and there is definite vindication based on the brutal results during the Benning era. My position has always been to want to see the team tank in order to force a management change. It's now been 7 years under Benning and the team is a disaster, and has wasted the cheap years of their star cornerstones. Luckily I'm quite confident that Benning will finally be fired once the team misses the playoffs again this year. On top of it, if we can land a top pick that will be a nice byproduct of this season. The draft has some very good defensemen at the top which is exactly what this team needs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Have we ever had a tank thread start so soon into a season?
This (maybe?) shows just how badly managed this team is.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Can Aquilini actually keep his hands out of hockey opps? If he can’t assure any new GM he’s able to do that, then we are going to just have another hand puppet GM.

The one thing I give Brian Burke credit for that he goes into detail about in his book is every time he was interviewing for GM job he was very clear to ownership about one thing.

There are two hands on the steering wheel and both of them are his. Once ownership starts becoming involved in hockey ops something is going to change.

If you bring in a strong candidate who's able to draw that line right from the start, you might see a difference.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
It's nice we're allowed to have this opinion again. I always thought being on the side of what's best for the organization is the best way to go, but for a while there it seemed like that was taboo.

Team Tank since 2015, and there is definite vindication based on the brutal results during the Benning era. My position has always been to want to see the team tank in order to force a management change. It's now been 7 years under Benning and the team is a disaster, and has wasted the cheap years of their star cornerstones. Luckily I'm quite confident that Benning will finally be fired once the team misses the playoffs again this year. On top of it, if we can land a top pick that will be a nice byproduct of this season. The draft has some very good defensemen at the top which is exactly what this team needs.
All true, but keeping Benning until the end of the season could cost us (with new management) important draft capital through trading away coming UFAs. Plus, what if Benning trades our coming 2021 first round pick? Hopefully the owner is smart enough (not that he’s shown he is) to muzzle Benning right now.

DustyMartellaughs

Flashing the leather.
Jun 12, 2009
Dawson Creek, BC
I’m all for the tank if it results in drafting Luke Hughes or Owen Power. A winning streak that results in a first round playoff loss, while entertaining, would move this team farther away from the goal of winning the Cup.

Reactions: Luckylarry

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Me I only want total destruction, a complete revolution where the team is sold to interests that can be looked up to as virtuous and good who then step in and completely sweep the entire franchise clean with the thoroughness of fire. Hire and sign only people who really want to be here and then let them do their jobs without interference. If that means groaning through season after season of years like this well then so be it; I'll still get to see stuff like Elias' through-the-legs goal and smile. But currently everything about this team is wrong.

You're very negative.

I like it.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
So this is my first time in the tank thread...I have a question.

The term "tank" implies an intentional effort to lose games to increase draft position...is this correct?
I actually don't think that's a reasonable possibility for this team. They will very likely get a high pick. But it won't be through trying to lose. They'll just lose because they're bad.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
So this is my first time in the tank thread...I have a question.

The term "tank" implies an intentional effort to lose games to increase draft position...is this correct?
I actually don't think that's a reasonable possibility for this team. They will very likely get a high pick. But it won't be through trying to lose. They'll just lose because they're bad.

While I agree with your last statement, I think that's been the way they've tanked all along trying to be good and failing miserably at it, there's extra things they could do to further the tank.

Trading Sutter (before he can go on a garbage time streak.)
Trade Pearson.
Heck trade any upcoming ufa who doesn't factor into future plans.
Set yourself up for the expansion draft, ie trade a forward to a team with 4 great defensemen.
See what young guys are all about, ie Rathbone, Lind, etc.
Future focused moves that might just hurt the team in the standings.

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Benning and Weisbrod need to be fired, and both would need a restraining order that would bar them from approaching anywhere within 100 km of the team.

Green has been called out, I tried my best to give him the benefit of the doubt but him providing AR an undeserving sanctuary after last night's game is not acceptable. I wouldn't straight up say fire him (mostly because it will likely give Benning more time), bu

EDIT: as some pointed out, this might not be a bad year to tank, as we only need to suffer 50 something games of misery instead of 82. I don't know how the prospect pool looks, quite frankly I don't care because us getting top 3 pick is like praying for a pink dragon for a free nickel. This is about getting Benning's fat ass out of town, and pull Aquaman back to our dimension.

I get it and I agree, so
63C2319B-23D8-4404-BF4D-1C5ED9A5E4AE.gif

I only care about a tank, if it means changes in management

everything else is irrelevant
Agreed, once that is done
56497436-ECC3-4D10-897B-0D49735A5242.gif

Yup. I couldn't care less about the draft pick.

The worse this season goes, the more certain we can be that the rot in the organization will be addressed and the morons running this team will be gone.
I completely agree with you. I know it’s not easy to be here, but changes must happen
5BDF4086-07FC-4F2E-94DF-804E8DDA268E.jpeg

Definitely need a tank thread to blow off steam and not fill every other thread.

Canucks are bottom 3, there's absolutely no reason why we cant have a thread on this disaster of a season.

High draft pick, new management.
Very well said, the negativity is understandable and needs to go somewhere.
E8967710-DCE0-4A85-AA75-6D2F386F0044.gif

I’m still upset at Rousell from last night
CF639B4B-4BAE-49D5-BD14-2DD9CE404C8E.gif

It's time for a change. 7 years on the job and we're still here making tank threads. Bring in someone new with an actual long term vision and start clearing as much dead weight and ufas as possible.

It doesn't even have to be a full scale teardown, someone with any kind of eye for pro scouting should be able to bring in pieces to supplement our stars.
DC31D9DE-E6A3-417D-A921-0ACEB20B1EFA.gif

The thing is there really shouldn’t be a “side” in this. All Canuck fans (I’m thinking) just want us to be a team good enough to compete for Cups. The process for teams to get to that level almost always requires top five draft picks. Getting those picks requires losing, which (of course) sucks as a fan to watch. But losing is more accepted if there is a clear plan in place to build (through these top picks) a very good team. hence we need to Tank, but darned if I didn’t wish it was planned, and not done by mismanagement.
I’m drinking it
DFE10C30-E251-4898-8D2D-BC2B588D9895.jpeg

I’ll keep doing GDT’s & cheering players on & be happy when we win, but I agree with all of you that change is needed and hope that it comes soon or in the off season.
D0CC851F-2DD6-4893-BC82-FA5E8B0846E4.jpeg

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Oh happy day....the tank thread is back up in earnest. Once more with feeling!

Looking at this Canuck lineup in the cold light of day, they have some of the better young forwards in the game; and a budding superstar on the blueline who'll shortly be in the Norris conversation. And although it might look like it right now, I think Demko can be a legit starting goalie in the Cory Schneider mold once he matures.

But once you get past that, this roster basically falls off a cliff. We need help everywhere. And the only place the Canucks have ever been able to address the holes is through the draft. Certainly the trades and UFA signings have actually made things worse.

The reality is that if by some miracle the Canucks actually 'won' the draft lottery, this season would be a success no matter what happens on the ice. That's just how far the bar has been lowered. At least there are some rock solid d-men at the top of this draft--a position of desperate for the Canucks.

Reactions: vanuck
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad