Speculation: 2 years away. Do you think Matthews accepts a slight raise OR takes us to the cleaners next contract?

Does Matthews accept slight raise or demands top dollar?

• He accepts a slight raise to stay in Toronto and spread the cap around to help the team

Votes: 53 17.2%
  • He takes top dollar because he's earned it. Doesn't care about the cap that's Dubas's problem

Votes: 257 83.4%

• Total voters

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Auston's current deal should be 8 years in length in order to get C.H.% 14.64 and Leafs shouldn't be worrying out $15 mil AAV as they would have 3 more years of 11.634 mil additional.
No, that's false. His 5 year term at that percentage was consistent with the history of post-ELC contracts.
Unless AM done something in the playoffs like Conf Finals, he ain’t getting a bigger deal than Mack, who just signed a few months ago after leading his team passed the 1st round a few times
Matthews will obviously get a bigger deal than Mackinnon, as a better player than Mackinnon signing through a younger age, regardless of team accomplishments.

Reactions: Menzinger

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
AM is a great player and he is one of the few who are just below McD. But unless he helps the Leafs do something in the playoffs(not just getting past the first round), I can’t see paying him the same or more as Mack. Mack had done so much more like leading his team past the first rounds and actually winning the Cup.
In recent years, McD is the only player who hadn’t won a Cup and become the highest paid player in the league. When Toews and Kane signed their 10.5mil AVv, they won two cups, and Mack won his before signing his new deal.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Might actually be worth waiting for negotiations to actually start before we start throwing numbers like 15 mil out there...

Matthews will have the highest aav in the league the moment he signs his new contract. by how much though is still very much up in the air.
The allowable by CBA is Cap hit % of 20% per single player.

The Cap ceiling according to Cap friendly for 2023-24 is $83,500,000. So upper limit C.H.% of 20% = $16.7 mill per season.

McDavid has a current C.H.% of 16.67 which would equal $13.92 mil AAV based on the new cap ceiling. So to be the highest AAV for Matthews you're basically looking at $14 mil as the floor using McDavid Cap Hit % at par.

This based on your belief stated here. :)

Last edited:

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
McDavid has a current C.H.% of 16.67 which would equal $13.92 mil. based on the new cap ceiling. So to be the highest AVV for Matthews you're basically looking at $14 mil as the floor using McDavid Cap Hit % at par.
This based on your belief stated here.
That is false. He said AAV, which is different from cap hit percentage. The highest AAV in the league is 12.6m, which is different from the highest signing cap hit % on an active contract.

Reactions: Menzinger

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
14x8 for Matthews
12.5x8 for Marner
9x8 for Nylander
7.5x3 for JT

Basically 6m increase for Matthews, Marner and Nylander, saving 3.5m on JT.

These are the numbers I would try and get their next contracts around.

Why ?

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Feel like Marner is going to stack himself up to Auston again in order to try to get the same deal or somewhat similar, and after this season he probably won't be far off with that belief.
Yeah, they'll probably be pretty close. Nylander wont be to far behind either of them too.

Zero1

Nov 11, 2021
I’m praying that the cap explodes after Matthews/Marner/Nylander re-sign. We are not winning anything paying Matthews $15 mill AAV, Nylander ~$10 mill AAV, and god knows what Marner is going to ask for after seeing Matthews’ contract.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The allowable by CBA is Cap hit % of 20% per single player.

The Cap ceiling according to Cap friendly for 2023-24 is $83,500,000. So upper limit C.H.% = $16.7 mill per season.

McDavid has a current C.H.% of 16.67 which would equal $13.92 mil. based on the new cap ceiling. So to be the highest AVV for Matthews you're basically looking at $14 mil as the floor using McDavid Cap Hit % at par.

This based on your belief stated here. :)

Not quite. Matthews next deal will have a higher aav than MacKinnon's 12.6 million. What his eventual cap% is I think remains a bigger question (as does whether he wants an 8 year deal or something shorter).

Last edited:

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Leading up to his signing, you play him with a defensively responsible plug making league minimum or slightly above to remind him what his line mates will look like if he wants to break the bank.
Ohh psychological games before early extension even begins… I like

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
According to Dubas, Matthews accepted 11.6m because it didnt tap into his UFA years otherwise it would have been higher. So based on that Matthews will easily ask for 8yr/15-16m AAV. He doesn't care what MacKinnon signed for or what the rest of the league thinks hes worth. Matthews has the clear upper hand: A rookie GM who will bend over to whatever his demands are, and a NMC in the last year of his deal ("Pay me or I walk and you get nothing").

The only option for the leafs this summer is: a gross overpayment or trade him before the NMC kicks in.
Thanks Dubas.

and Dubas has the balls to be pissed about not having been extended this summer. "My record speaks for itself":biglaugh:

Trade him for a bevy before the rest of the league notices
Only a new GM would even consider this. Would be willing to bet Arizona would pay a hefty price for his services. They have a ton of fantastic prospects we could use moving forward.

Reactions: supermann_98

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I’m praying that the cap explodes after Matthews/Marner/Nylander re-sign. We are not winning anything paying Matthews $15 mill AAV, Nylander ~$10 mill AAV, and god knows what Marner is going to ask for after seeing Matthews’ contract.
Marner deserves a salary not a lot less than matthews

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Marner deserves a salary not a lot less than matthews
I don’t think the Marner and Nylander and Matthews raises will be a problem, as long as Tavares is off the cap soon. That thing was a problem the moment he signed it and will be until it’s over. When is Tavares done?

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
14x8 for Matthews
12.5x8 for Marner
9x8 for Nylander
7.5x3 for JT

Basically 6m increase for Matthews, Marner and Nylander, saving 3.5m on JT.

These are the numbers I would try and get their next contracts around.
5M is the max JT should be getting, anything above that is greedy and stupid. He's made his money, you could argue that he's been overpaid in every season with the Leafs except his 1st...it's discount time or take a lap time, your choice.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I actually think Leafs should get a discount on Matthews considering playoff performance and results (which was factored/forecasted into the first contract, and undelivered. Same for Marner. Great regular seasons thought, sure). In truth the time to sign him was right after last season. If he lights it up and leafs progress in playoffs it might be a blank cheque.

Mar 26, 2010
He is going to get top dollar, but good chance it is not in Toronto. Odds are he leaves Toronto for LA or Arizona.

Yall are crazy

Dec 11, 2022
Yall gotta stop wanting quality players at a cheaper price. If you want to save money you buy within your means or lower quality. Like jack Hughes, Johnny h, etc. Talent that's not in the top 20. That way you can save money and have talent. But you won't get the best talent.

Also no one gave a single f*** when mack signed the highest contract in the league.

Reactions: saffronleaf

rielledup

Sep 17, 2015
Do people want to see the leafs go through another round of the big 3 getting every last penny they can squeeze from the Leafs? If they haven't made a deep playoff run before it's time to resign Matthews, why give him 15 mil? I'm a big dubas supporter and was on board with not making any major changes this season, but if they still haven't made a run at the cup in two years how does it make sense to run back the same formula?

Reactions: Americanadian

rielledup

Sep 17, 2015
AM is a great player and he is one of the few who are just below McD. But unless he helps the Leafs do something in the playoffs(not just getting past the first round), I can’t see paying him the same or more as Mack. Mack had done so much more like leading his team past the first rounds and actually winning the Cup.
In recent years, McD is the only player who hadn’t won a Cup and become the highest paid player in the league. When Toews and Kane signed their 10.5mil AVv, they won two cups, and Mack won his before signing his new deal.
I don't know if anyone is just below mcdavid anymore. Based on last year's playoffs, the covid shortened season, and his ridiculous start to this season, I think we might see mcdavid consistently putting up 50 and 140. Apparently he had really bad luck in the second half of last year otherwise he would've been threatening 140.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad