Speculation: 2 years away. Do you think Matthews accepts a slight raise OR takes us to the cleaners next contract?

Does Matthews accept slight raise or demands top dollar?

• He accepts a slight raise to stay in Toronto and spread the cap around to help the team

Votes: 53 17.2%
  • He takes top dollar because he's earned it. Doesn't care about the cap that's Dubas's problem

Votes: 257 83.4%

• Total voters

SoftDumpNtheCorner88

Jul 5, 2020
After seeing what MacKinnon got, there's no question Matthews deserved more for individual stats, but he's still never gotten past the first round. He's also got top dollar on his first contract.

Slight raise is somewhere around 12-13.5. I would be happy with $13m. I'd be thrilled with $12m (assuming the rational is MacKinnon has won his team a cup therefore he has proven his worth in the playoffs). Matthews still hasn't shown he can get us out of the first round (he's more than capable but it hasn't come to fruition yet) so does he leave money on the table to help Dubas build a better all around team?

Or does he take us to the cleaners and him and his agent demand the max $16.3m. I would say $14m+ would extend us into this continued cap restraint we're seeing now, where we are complaining about having no other stars other than our big 5, and continue keep looking for bargain bin value contracts and hoping for a gem.

A little early to talk about but with MacKinnon being the highest paid player into he league just now, it doesn't hurt to speculate what it could be and how it will effect us after.

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
Id be pretty happy is he signs anything under $13m lol.

im more concerned about Marners contract. dude better not get any substantial raise

Reactions: ultra63

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
What's slight?

MacKinnon just got 12.6M

I could see Matthews bringing home anywhere from 12.75-13.75M on an 8 year deal.

Depends on how much he wants to make exactly.

Reactions: Anthrax442

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I expect that he'll be the game's highest paid player (albeit not to the tune of the max AAV). I figure the term to (again) be a point of interest.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
If he goes 8 years, I say minimum $14 million AAV. Which means the Leafs only have to clear just over $2 million. to do that.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
It depends really. If the cap is expected to jump to 90.

13.4 million. Is 14.8% aav

15 million is 16.6%

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
I chose both options because I could.

Matthews will get 13x8 and it will be a fair deal for all parties, except us fans who will continue to get gouged.

Reactions: LeafSteel

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
There's going to be teams offering him $15M+ on the open market.

So what the Leafs end up paying him - not hard to figure out. $13M is a pipe dream.

Reactions: supermann_98

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
History tells me he will not be inclined to take even a penny less than he can squeeze out of the highest bidder. I am not even sure that’s the Leafs tbh.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
Leading up to his signing, you play him with a defensively responsible plug making league minimum or slightly above to remind him what his line mates will look like if he wants to break the bank.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I've said it before, will say it again, I think he takes less. I think he takes somewhere near his current caphit give or take a million. I think he is already rich AF, he is no longer 20 and having his parents involved saying "you aren't ripping off my kid because he is young". Same as Mitch. These guys want to win, and they are NOT ignorant that their contracts have been why Hyman and Campbell have left most recently.

If they take more Bunts will be right after, and then who knows who else. However my caveat is only if Dubas is still GM because I think the core trusts him and I think they respect him. One issue with taking less is watching your GM hand out 4x4 contracts to Gudbranson for example. Dubas hasn't done that. That money would be used to retain legit talent.

I think Matthews and Marner talk a lot and will be on the same page. Do they both want to stay? Matthews sets Marner's ceiling. Marner signing another 8 year 11M still makes him rich AF, and honestly with the cap going the way it is 11M will be the next 8M within 5 years.

I think we get Matthews and Marner locked in for under 25 million combined

If he goes 8 years, I say minimum $14 million AAV. Which means the Leafs only have to clear just over $2 million. to do that.

Honestly Friedman speculates the cap jumps to 92 million by 2025 (when this kicks in) so this would be an absolute steal by a few years in so long as he doesn't decline rapidly. I think Matthews is elite until his early 30's so this contract would be fine with me as a worst case.

Reactions: Sypher04 and kb

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
He bent us over for an RFA deal when he accomplished relatively little, he's going to break the bank now

He signed a comparable contract to many other high-profile RFAs... go look up CH%, people need to stop looking at dollar amount

He is going to make a minimum of 14 million. I am shocked people think he will take less. Then the Edmonton guys will take more than him.

Do you think we can fit in Matthews at 14+ and McDavid at 15+? Going to be interesting.

Reactions: Sypher04

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
He signed a comparable contract to many other high-profile RFAs... go look up CH%, people need to stop looking at dollar amount

Do you think we can fit in Matthews at 14+ and McDavid at 15+? Going to be interesting.
Based on what? Contracts signed back in 2010?

The Matthews deal was a simple one. At the time, he was better than Eichel and clearly below McDavid. Eichel signed for 10 x 8 and McDavid for 12.5 x 8

We got Matthews in the middle for cap hit which makes sense, but only at 5 years, not 8. That's a big difference because at 5 years he enters UFA at peak age. And we also gave him top signing bonuses, and gave him a NMC in his final year. He got everything possible at a time when he shouldn't have. A couple rockets, a lindsay and an MVP later he's going to understandably gouge our eyes out

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad