Speculation: 2-way top 6 C to the Rangers

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Don’t think you could get Larkin without giving up Lafranier in a package. Steve Yzerman is the gm after all

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Over the past two years, with Strome playing with Panarin - who during that stretch is #2 in the league in 5v5 points per 60 (McDavid is 3.21; Panarin is at 3.2) - Strome has 66 EV points and Danault has 63. Strome averaged 3:14 on the PP last year and Danault averaged 0:19.

Sign Danault at 5.5M, which is actually low for a 2C, and give him Strome’s EXACT role. He’ll score more than Strome while being better in every other facet of the game.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Over the past two years, with Strome playing with Panarin - who during that stretch is #2 in the league in 5v5 points per 60 (McDavid is 3.21; Panarin is at 3.2) - Strome has 66 EV points and Danault has 63. Strome averaged 3:14 on the PP last year and Danault averaged 0:19.

Sign Danault at 5.5M, which is actually low for a 2C, and give him Strome’s EXACT role. He’ll score more than Strome while being better in every other facet of the game.

won't take that

bel. he turned down 6 x 6 from MON

that's why I said 1 yr only stopgap at 7.25

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
won't take that

bel. he turned down 6 x 6 from MON

that's why I said 1 yr only stopgap at 7.25

Never reported that MTL offered 6. It was either 5/6x5M. His reported ask a few days ago was 5.5M. If he replicates (or surpasses) Strome's production, which all of the underlying numbers suggest is possible, and brings an elite defensive presence, strong in the dot, gritty, etc. than he is a bargain 2C at 5.5M. The luxury of Panarin on the wing means you can slot a guy who is more defensively talented and still get 60 points out of him.

Zats Muccarello

Grinder
Dec 30, 2010
NYC

May as well just keep Strome at that point

Reactions: Off Sides

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
May as well just keep Strome at that point

Except for the part where Strome needs an extension that will likely be 1M more expensive than Danault is likely to sign for and Danault being 500 miles better defensively, nearly 55% in the dot, great penalty killer, good physical presence and just overall better at every aspect of hockey that doesn't take place in the O-zone. If he can replicate the production while being superior in every other aspect, and cost 1M less on the cap, why might you as well keep Strome?

We're not trying to upgrade Strome's production. We're trying to upgrade everything else about Strome - defensive responsibility, transition game, faceoffs, etc.

I don't know how you get might as well keep Strome from a post that shows Strome, playing with virtually the most productive 5v5 player in the NHL (.01 points per 60 behind 1st place) has only had 3 more EV strength points than a guy who gives Selke-like defense and say may as well just keep the one dimensional one for more money.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I think White can be a good player but I think his true value may lie as a 3rd/2nd line tweener

I am not so optimistic he's a 2nd or 3rd line player on a contender...would rather ship him off and get something for him. For better or worse, I'm generally of the mindset that you know what you're getting by the time a player hits 24. There's always exceptions, but they are few and far between.

Reactions: topshelf15

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Alright... wait a minute. Just for context. I know Bo is more valuable, younger, etc.

Over the past 3 seasons, among all centers:

Phillip Danault ranks 46th among all centers in the NHL in points. Bo Horvat ranks 31st.

Phillip Danault ranks 25th in 5v5 points. Bo Horvat ranks 34th.

Phillip Danault is 54.5% on faceoffs. Bo Horvat is 54.6%.

Phillip Danault ranks in 112th in PP TOI. Bo Horvat ranks 4th!!

Over the past 3 years, Bo Horvat has put up a total of 29 more points than Danault. Danault has out scored him at 5v5. Horvat receives the 4th most PP time of any center in the NHL. Danault ranks 112 (a difference of 563:36). This past season Danault was 151st in PP time among centers.

Over that same 3 season stretch Danault has the 4th most PK minutes in the NHL for centers. Horvat is 130th.

I'm just not seeing the offensive black hole that people want to hyperbolize Danault as just because he was used as a full-blown shutdown center this past season with only 17 total minutes of PP time on the year. The previous 2 years he had 53 and 47 points and did so on a low scoring team without being surrounded by a lot of offensive talent. His even strength production is 25th best among ALL centers in the NHL over the past 3 years. Maybe if got top 50 PP minutes instead of 112-151, he'd put up an additional 15-20 points? And he'd still be elite defensively.

Edit: Over the past 3 years, Mika Zibanejad has 124 EV points. Danault has 113.

Last edited:
Reactions: ICanMotteBelieveIt

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Never reported that MTL offered 6. It was either 5/6x5M. His reported ask a few days ago was 5.5M. If he replicates (or surpasses) Strome's production, which all of the underlying numbers suggest is possible, and brings an elite defensive presence, strong in the dot, gritty, etc. than he is a bargain 2C at 5.5M. The luxury of Panarin on the wing means you can slot a guy who is more defensively talented and still get 60 points out of him.

Assume you are 111% right.
We still should not be signing this guy for more than a yr.
Esp since we just were slightly generous w/Goodrow.
If we need him, 1 yr.
ONLY

Chytil + Lundqvist for Reinhart
Hell to the no.
Wouldn't give either for Reinhart, let alone both.

Rein-meister has skill, but is too slow, and we need to keep going younger, cheaper, not adding more expensive vets for youth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad