Proposal: 2 Tor Trades

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Regardless of the package coming back calling elite young talent like Nylander and a good top 4 defender like Gardiner scraps is just wrong. It will rile up leaf fans and you will get an even worse proposal...

Fighting stupidity with stupidity doesn't work....

Doesn’t take much to knock a leafs fan into a spiral, so you’re right about that.

Nylander and Gardiner don’t get you Domi, Strome and OEL. Talk about stupidity.

adam0307

Aug 25, 2016
These trades are both horribly biased. I thought I'd come in here and see everyone attacking the proposals, but most shocking is that there are Leaf fans saying that THEY wouldn't make these trades. I don't care to comment on the Columbus trade but the Arizona trade I do. Yes Nylander is a big asset, but everyone keeps talking about the depth up front...not to mention that we would be getting Strome and Domi back in that trade...also Leaf fans always claim to hate Gardiner, so realistically it is Nylander + a guy everyone loves to hate for OEL to really help solidify the D, plus 2 recent 1st rounders with loads of potential. You have to give to get and in this case I don't think the Leafs are giving enough and yet still people claim that they wouldn't make the trade. I am at a loss! Drafting and developing is great, but why is it that people think only our draft picks will pan out? What are the odds that we draft someone this year in the 1st round with more potential than Strome or Domi...my guess is highly unlikely, given the range that the pick will be in. Lou would take that trade in a heartbeat and may even feel bad afterwards for taking advantage of Chayka.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Doesn’t take much to knock a leafs fan into a spiral, so you’re right about that.

Calling Nylander and Gardiner scraps is more stupid my friend...

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
One of my favorite games is to look at the lop-sided trades and try to guess which team the OP is a fan of. I'm going to guess Toronto, considering the way that both non-TOR teams are getting absolutely ripped in both of these trade scenarios.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
These trades are both horribly biased. I thought I'd come in here and see everyone attacking the proposals, but most shocking is that there are Leaf fans saying that THEY wouldn't make these trades. I don't care to comment on the Columbus trade but the Arizona trade I do. Yes Nylander is a big asset, but everyone keeps talking about the depth up front...not to mention that we would be getting Strome and Domi back in that trade...also Leaf fans always claim to hate Gardiner, so realistically it is Nylander + a guy everyone loves to hate for OEL to really help solidify the D, plus 2 recent 1st rounders with loads of potential. You have to give to get and in this case I don't think the Leafs are giving enough and yet still people claim that they wouldn't make the trade. I am at a loss! Drafting and developing is great, but why is it that people think only our draft picks will pan out? What are the odds that we draft someone this year in the 1st round with more potential than Strome or Domi...my guess is highly unlikely, given the range that the pick will be in. Lou would take that trade in a heartbeat and may even feel bad afterwards for taking advantage of Chayka.
I agree, I was dying of laughter when I saw multiple TOR fans actually saying that they wouldn't want to make these trades. lol

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Read the context of the reply and you’ll get it.
I do get it. I just hate when people read a trade that has bad value and feels the need to say something way more heinous and feel justified in doing so.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Strome is in his D+3 year and has a career total of 2 points in the NHL. He hasn't show anything to really suggest he will live up to his draft pedigree (although he is racking up points in the AHL this year).

OEL is a wild -41 this year (-94 total the past 5 years), and the #1 on a team that really hasn't done anything in awhile. Leafs don't need offensive help on defense. We need a steady d-man who can take pressure off Hainsey and time away from Polak for PK and shutdown duties. Is OEL ideal for this? Not in my opinion. Oh, he is also a UFA after next year.

Nothing really bad to say about Domi because I would really like him on the Leafs, but he has been underwhelming this year.

What we're giving up for a package of players who have all been underwhelming? a 60pt 21 year old player who has done nothing but improve since we drafted him in every league he has been in and a Top-4 d-man who has been great for the last 20 or so games. People talk about Gardiners negatives but conveniently like to gloss over his positives he brings.

This is a trade that could work out great for the Leafs, but it has equal potential to be a disaster for us. It doesn't address any of our biggest needs either. I totally get why Phoenix fans wouldn't want to make this deal, but I can totally see why Leafs fans might not either.

Last edited:

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
I do get it. I just hate when people read a trade that has bad value and feels the need to say something way more heinous and feel justified in doing so.

Well my friend, get used to it. It was a fellow Toronto fan that proposed the garbage in the first place.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Calling Nylander and Marner scraps is not helpful or even remotely truthful.

Arizona does not pull the trigger on that trade. If OEL goes on the market and Domi is in that package... there are a lot of teams interested.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com

You know how obnoxious you folks find it when people say stuff like "Coyotes only have 10 fans", "move the team to Canada, they don't get hockey", or any of that mumbo jumbo I'm sure you're sick of? That's the exact same thing that you're doing with this Leaf fan bashing/rant you're going on about.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Both trades favour the Leafs, bad OP offer for both non Leafs teams.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
You know how obnoxious you folks find it when people say stuff like "Coyotes only have 10 fans", "move the team to Canada, they don't get hockey", or any of that mumbo jumbo I'm sure you're sick of? That's the exact same thing that you're doing with this Leaf fan bashing/rant you're going on about.

Hardly the case. The whole move em, 10 fans thing has run its course. People have been pushing for that the better half of a decade. Can’t say it bothers the few of us.

As for the leaf proposals, they’re all the same. Your best guy for our mediocre xyz package. Not to mention, every single player that is rumored to be available the first 10 posts are “leafs should be in on this” “no doubt he’s coming to Toronto.” Give it a rest. Not every player is going to Toronto and no matter how many times lopsided leaf proposals are made, they’re just not going to happen.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
Tor/Ari

Tor gets : Domi, OEL, Strome
PHO gets: Gardiner, Nylander

Tor gets: Jenner
CLb, Bozak, Leivo

Tor Rolls

Domi Matthews Hyman
Marleau Kadri Marner
JVR Strome/Jenner Brown
Komarov Strome/Jenner Kapenen

OEL Zaitsev
Rielly Hainsey
Dermott Polak/Carrick

Toronto better be giving up a lot more to Arizona in that deal. OEL alone is worth JG and Nylander.

ThatSaid

May 31, 2015
Glendale Heights, IL
Hilarious value for both teams that aren't Toronto. OEL is a top defensive talent in the league who has languished on a bad team his entire career. Toronto adds to a Nylander for OEL trade that's straight up. But let's just put it this way: If there were two teams trading, and this was the result, look how ridiculously lopsided the trade is:

Team a gets: OEL, Strome, Domi, Jenner

Team B gets: Nylander, Gardiner, Bozak, Leivo

OEL >> Nylander
Strome = Gardiner
Jenner > Bozak
Domi>>> Leivo

So team A gets an elite #1 D man, a struggling potential 1-2 C, a middle 6-/top-6 tweener winger with grit, and a great two-way 3rd line center (RFA after this year.)

Team B gets a #2 C, an average middle-pairing D-man (probably 3rd pairing on most teams), a slightly above average two-way #3 center who could walk at the end of the year, and a piece of AHL trash who can't break into the very thin winger ranks of the TML.

Value is soooooo far off.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I would love to see how Nylander would be valued if he was on any other team lol.....

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Well my friend, get used to it. It was a fellow Toronto fan that proposed the garbage in the first place.

Hmm...think i will put on my old detective hat....OP Mellor683...lets check out the old profile page...huh, been a member since 2012....only 59 posts? Well, lets check out his recent activity....huh, just this OP? And not one response to defend his trade proposal? How about we check out the older items.....wait, none come up? How long does an account have to be dormant for that to happen i wonder.....but yes, he is CLEARLY a Leafs fan.:laugh::thumbd:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad