Proposal: 2 Proposal's PHI-TBL & OTT-PHI

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
You can't honestly believe this.

Bishop has been the best goalie in the league over the past three seasons and should have won the Vezina this past one. The only better goalie in the league right now is a healthy Price. And the collection of refuse offered by the OP wouldn't get Philly half a season of Bishop, much less with an extension agreed upon ahead of time.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
...:heh: WTF?

tell me why we would even come close to consider this trade offer, even if Steve Mason would be sign to the league minimum for the next 3 years

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Yes, actually they can when you have multiple years to call from. And Philly defense has been a shamble for the past several years, yet Mason consistently puts up good numbers.

Mason is better.

I absolutely guarantee, Ottawa's team defense over the last 3 years was worse than Philly. Only team I'd put below Ottawa in that time frame would be Edmonton.Hell, the Sens weren't even playing an NHL-level system for most of that time.

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ
Bishop has been the best goalie in the league over the past three seasons and should have won the Vezina this past one. The only better goalie in the league right now is a healthy Price. And the collection of refuse offered by the OP wouldn't get Philly half a season of Bishop, much less with an extension agreed upon ahead of time.

Care to provide anything other than your opinion because saying Bishop is better than Lundqvist, Schneider, etc. seems extremely homer-like.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Lmao. No the **** he hasn't.

He Is Knocking

Jul 1, 2015
I'm on record stating it's a bad deal for the lightning but come on if Bishop was that good TBL would be finding a way to keep him and trade the other guy.

Sometimes I believe peeps write things they don't even believe because they can hide behind a moniker and most of us don't know each other personally.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I absolutely guarantee, Ottawa's team defense over the last 3 years was worse than Philly. Only team I'd put below Ottawa in that time frame would be Edmonton.Hell, the Sens weren't even playing an NHL-level system for most of that time.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/teamstats.php?disp=1&db=201316&sit=5v5&sort=GA&sortdir=DESC

8 teams have given up more GA from 2013-14 to 2015-16. Ottawa only gave up 28 more goals than the average team (15th) in 246 games... that's 0.11 goals more per game

I am really not saying Ottawa has been good defensively the last 3 years and I hated that passive defensive system as much as anyone but no need to go hyperbole or get away from facts.

Now what many Sens fans disliked (which was mainly due to that stupid defensive system) is shots against. Even if you look at that, Toronto and Buffalo gave more shots against during those 3 years.

Even in CA60 (Corsi Against per 60 minutes of ice time), 7 teams did worse than the Sens during that period of time

Also, considering the fact that the Sens are a run and gun team (according to NHL players I talked to at least), they like to "trade chances" so it's natural that they give away more chances against than the regular team.

Their CF% (Corsi For percentage = 100* CF / (CF + CA)) is very decent, 16th in the league with 50.1%

Finally, concerning the quality of scoring chances against, we unfortunately can't access the data anymore since WOI is shut down, but IIRC Ottawa was usually around 20th in High Danger Scoring Chances Against, despite being among last for shots against.

Now, before anyone reply with "just watch games", I DO watch games but contrary to many hockey fans, I don't just remember the bad times. They played well in certain stretches, just wildly inconsistent. And if you say Sens goalies make miracles, I'd say yes they are solid but that's NHL goaltending, most teams get high quality goaltending, it's just that Sens fans weren't really used to that before Andy. Look at other NHL regular season games and there is a ton of scoring chances and great saves.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007

this is hilarious. it's official. Bishop has become by far the most overrated goalie in the league. saying he's the best is a joke. he's not even top 5. if he was that good they wouldn't be looking to trade him.

RegularSznAllStars

Sep 23, 2014
this is hilarious. it's official. Bishop has become by far the most overrated goalie in the league. saying he's the best is a joke. he's not even top 5. if he was that good they wouldn't be looking to trade him.

Easily a top 5, and over the past 3 years he is top 3 with Price and Schneider. Do you even realize why we are looking to move him? Look at his stats, he is obviously that good.

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
Tampa trade is a huge no. Bishop plays his contract out in Tampa unless a team ponies up a player who would help Bolts to win the cup this season at least as much as just keeping Bishop. Flyers don't have a player that fits that they would be wiling to trade.
Bolts will just go with two really good goalies this year and Vasi probably gets a few more starts than last year. We all find out what Bish is worth when he is an UFA.
Philly does need a number one goalie if they expect to be a contender.

Last edited:

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
Easily a top 5, and over the past 3 years he is top 3 with Price and Schneider. Do you even realize why we are looking to move him? Look at his stats, he is obviously that good.

Over those last 3 years, Steve Mason was tied for the second best ES SV%. Bishop wasn't.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
As a diehard Leafs fan, I hope the Senators make this trade. The only thing Mason has on Anderson is age, and that isn't worth a first rounder.

Did you not think about doing a spot of research before you posted? Mason doesn't play for Columbus anymore and since he's been with us he's been sensational.

Mkoll

Inkvisiittori
Jul 5, 2008
New Brunswick, Canada

I do not watch enough Sens games to comment on how bad their defense has been. I will take your word on it because you clearly know better than I :)

did you watch an equal number of Flyers games?

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
Really? Compare Mason and Bishop?

GAA Sv%
Mason Career Playoffs 3.37 .895

Bishop Career Playoffs 2.09 .927

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007

GAA Sv%

a little unfair considering the team in front of Bishop. wish Mason had a Hedman on the blueline to help him too.

last 3 seasons Bishop has had a .922 SV% and Mason .921. a difference of .001 when Bishop has been on the better team with a much better defense in front of him, including one of the best in the game. how about we swap defenses and see how the numbers are then?

silly people who don't understand how a system and the team they're playing on can skew goalie numbers. Elliott has better numbers than Bishop in recent years. I guess he's better right? :shakehead

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
a little unfair considering the team in front of Bishop. wish Mason had a Hedman on the blueline to help him too.

last 3 seasons Bishop has had a .922 SV% and Mason .921. a difference of .001 when Bishop has been on the better team with a much better defense in front of him, including one of the best in the game. how about we swap defenses and see how the numbers are then?

silly people who don't understand how a system and the team they're playing on can skew goalie numbers. Elliott has better numbers than Bishop in recent years. I guess he's better right? :shakehead

Not unfair and the comments indicate you don't know much about the Bolts . If you had any clue you would know Bish has been our MVP the last two years. Our defense has been average and is the weakest part of the team except our PP which is horrible. With all our injuries he carried us for most of last season. Without him we don't even make the playoffs.
Someone on this thread was comparing a Venzia finalist to an average goalie which is just laughable, sorry. Also besides someone started this tread with a trade offer for Bishop that is frankly ridiculous.:help:

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Not unfair and the comments indicate you don't know much about the Bolts . If you had any clue you would know Bish has been our MVP the last two years. Our defense has been average and is the weakest part of the team except our PP which is horrible. With all our injuries he carried us for most of last season. Without him we don't even make the playoffs.
Someone on this thread was comparing a Venzia finalist to an average goalie which is just laughable, sorry. Also besides someone started this tread with a trade offer for Bishop that is frankly ridiculous.:help:

The trades are bad, but Not nearly as ridiculous as calling Mason 'average'.

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ

And yours prove you know nothing about Steve Mason. Fair?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I do not watch enough Sens games to comment on how bad their defense has been. I will take your word on it because you clearly know better than I :)

did you watch an equal number of Flyers games?

I watch a few Flyers games here and there (got to check out local boy Giroux when I can). Not an expert on the Flyers by any means.

But, did Philly have Cowen, Gryba, Weircoch, and Boro level players playing on their D at the same time? Trust me, it wasn't pretty. :facepalm:

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne

GAA Sv%

Mason has played 12 playoff games over the course of 8 seasons. Those stats are pretty skewed by the shelling he took from the Red Wings as a 19 year old rookie in 2009.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I watch a few Flyers games here and there (got to check out local boy Giroux when I can). Not an expert on the Flyers by any means.

But, did Philly have Cowen, Gryba, Weircoch, and Boro level players playing on their D at the same time? Trust me, it wasn't pretty. :facepalm:

No. We had Schenn, Grossmann, AMac, Schultz, MDZ and Streit as our 6 Dmen in 2014/15.

Which 2 guys would you be comfortable matching up against Sid, Taveras, etc... in our division....lol.

If it was all about save %, Bishop would have beat Holtby for the Vezina.

I won't argue who is better however, I watch precious little of Mason.

I don't think you will find many Flyer fans saying Mason is better than Bishop. But he certainly is better than Anderson. And Mason IS under rated and has posted elite SV% numbers with Philly...especially at ES.

And with Mason having only the 25th highest cap hit for goalies, he is a bargain.

Mkoll

Inkvisiittori
Jul 5, 2008
New Brunswick, Canada

Ok fair enough, but I think its almost safe to say both teams had terrible defenses :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad