Proposal: 2 Proposal's PHI-TBL & OTT-PHI

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
So a team with 2 solid goalies wants to make a goalie trade? Why exactly?

Agreed. Flyers have 2 guys that both have been top 3 in SV% in the past 2 years.

Now to look at the deals:

The difference between Mason and Anderson is not a 1st. Ottawa easily declines.

For Bishop....if you have to offer 5 pieces for 1 guys, chances are those pieces are not very good or worth much. Tampa would much rather have 2 pieces, and increase the value instead. Easy no for them.

Also, Philly goes from spending 5.7 on goaltending to over 10 million. That's not going to happen.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Ok in all actuality what would it take from Philadelphia to get Ben Bishop out of Tampa Bay, if Philly was seeking to ever trade for Bishop.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I don't understand why the Sens have to pay Nick Paul and a 1st in 2018...

To swap Anderson and Mason?

I mean, it's nice to get a decent #5 D-man and 4th line LW but why the Sens have to pay prime assets? We have Puempel, Dzingel, Pyatt, Kelly, etc who could play that role

Oh is it the 4th round pick?

Easy pass from the Sens, wouldn't even consider it 2 seconds.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Maybe the Flyers trading for Bishop should be revisted after the 16-17 season if neither Mason nor Neuvirth are extended at that point?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
To steal this from Nhl.com:

The Flyers had the second-best even-strength save percentage in the League, .933, one percentage point behind the New York Rangers.

As we saw in the playoffs, the Flyers passive PK was awful....especially without Couturier. Fixing the PK and adding better Dmen is the big weakness, not the goalies.

Last 3 years:

Bishop .922 SV%
Mason .921 SV%
Neuvirth .919 SV%

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ
These are upgrades at goalie for a few B prospects and a 2nd round pick. Pretty easy to see the value is quite favorably tilted to the Flyers side

Craig Anderson is an upgrade? No. Ben Bishop? Sure. But the the Flyers trading for Bishop makes no sense when you consider team needs, salary cap, etc.

EDIT: And I'm basing that off Bishop compared to Neuvirth as in the OP. Not compared to Mason.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
My apologies to the fans of Ottawa...

I would counter and change the original PHI-OTT proposal, but like I said originally I don't usually do proposals, this is a prime reason why I don't do proposals, because I admit I'm not very good at them, and from what I've read the Ottawa fans are especially upset with my original proposal.

After I made the proposal I was going over the stats from last season in regards to the goalie's Mason and Anderson and from what I've read Mason's and Anderson's numbers aren't that far apart.

I made the PHI-OTT proposal, and at first I was asking myself what is Mason's value, what could he return just by his self on the market. With the number's that Mason had he should be able to return a 1st on his own, but would any team be willing to give the Flyers a 1st for Mason, I'm not so sure any team would do that.
Secondly what would Anderson's worth be on the market could be return a 1st on his own, and the answer I came up with was no for Anderson, no disrespect.
I was trying to compensate and figure what Anderson's return should be at his age, and the value of his contract for 2 more seasons and what I came up with was Schultz and VandeVelde and a 4th, which now that I think of is pretty bad.
For Anderson and Paul jeez what was I thinking...
I don't even know why I added Paul I guess I just liked how big the guy is and he's also a young player that has upside and would be a big help on the PK, but I'm not sure what player Paul compares too though.

I was also counting the salary that was going Ottawa's way and knowing that Ottawa's a budget team I did not want to overload Ottawa with salary, that's another reason why I added Anderson to the deal and retained on Schultz, I also was thinking that Ottawa wouldn't carry 3 goalies into the season.

Now that I think of it though my OP was one sided and short sighted and it also heavily favored Philadelphia, if I was going to make a decent proposal I should have gave it a little more thought and time.
I shouldn't have added Anderson to that deal, and with the PK problems the Flyers had in the playoffs last season, I shouldn't have Schultz or VandeVelde in the deal either because they are two of the players that play on the PK and if that's a need for the flyers then why would they give them up.

Anyhow I'd like to say Sorry for wasting everyone's time for even reading this proposal and If the mods feel like deleting or locking this thread I wouldn't mind one bit.

internetdotcom

11 + 15 + 19 = 666
Jun 23, 2009
Capital O
My apologies to the fans of Ottawa...

I would counter and change the original PHI-OTT proposal, but like I said originally I don't usually do proposals, this is a prime reason why I don't do proposals, because I admit I'm not very good at them, and from what I've read the Ottawa fans are especially upset with my original proposal.

After I made the proposal I was going over the stats from last season in regards to the goalie's Mason and Anderson and from what I've read Mason's and Anderson's numbers aren't that far apart.

I made the PHI-OTT proposal, and at first I was asking myself what is Mason's value, what could he return just by his self on the market. With the number's that Mason had he should be able to return a 1st on his own, but would any team be willing to give the Flyers a 1st for Mason, I'm not so sure any team would do that.
Secondly what would Anderson's worth be on the market could be return a 1st on his own, and the answer I came up with was no for Anderson, no disrespect.
I was trying to compensate and figure what Anderson's return should be at his age, and the value of his contract for 2 more seasons and what I came up with was Schultz and VandeVelde and a 4th, which now that I think of is pretty bad.
For Anderson and Paul jeez what was I thinking...
I don't even know why I added Paul I guess I just liked how big the guy is and he's also a young player that has upside and would be a big help on the PK, but I'm not sure what player Paul compares too though.

I was also counting the salary that was going Ottawa's way and knowing that Ottawa's a budget team I did not want to overload Ottawa with salary, that's another reason why I added Anderson to the deal and retained on Schultz, I also was thinking that Ottawa wouldn't carry 3 goalies into the season.

Now that I think of it though my OP was one sided and short sighted and it also heavily favored Philadelphia, if I was going to make a decent proposal I should have gave it a little more thought and time.
I shouldn't have added Anderson to that deal, and with the PK problems the Flyers had in the playoffs last season, I shouldn't have Schultz or VandeVelde in the deal either because they are two of the players that play on the PK and if that's a need for the flyers then why would they give them up.

Anyhow I'd like to say Sorry for wasting everyone's time for even reading this proposal and If the mods feel like deleting or locking this thread I wouldn't mind one bit.

Thank you for explaining your thought process. It doesn't change that it isn't a fair proposal, but at least you explained yourself rather than flaming back at the people rejecting the proposal as most posters here would do. Good on you, shows a lot of maturity and reason on your part. I hope that we weren't too hard on you. :) Making a fair proposal that fans of both sides agree on is next to impossible on here at the best of times.

Cheers!

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Thank you for explaining your thought process. It doesn't change that it isn't a fair proposal, but at least you explained yourself rather than flaming back at the people rejecting the proposal as most posters here would do. Good on you, shows a lot of maturity and reason on your part. I hope that we weren't too hard on you. :) Making a fair proposal that fans of both sides agree on is next to impossible on here at the best of times.

Cheers!

After my OP I expected some harsh words, but I was just trying to be honest.

Thanks for the kind responce though...Cheers Brew.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Andersons not just a cap dump.

Anderson is arguably a better goalie then Mason. Schultz is a cap dump. Vandevelde is a dime a dozen guy. Plus we give up a top prospect and a first.

Its a laughable proposal for ottawa

Anderson isn't arguably a better goalie than Mason. He's far older, more expensive and not as good.

The others are crap throw-ins though, I'll give you that.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
As a diehard Leafs fan, I hope the Senators make this trade. The only thing Mason has on Anderson is age, and that isn't worth a first rounder.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
As a diehard Leafs fan, I hope the Senators make this trade. The only thing Mason has on Anderson is age, and that isn't worth a first rounder.

2016: Anderson .916 SV%, Mason .918
2015: Anderson .923 Sv%, Mason .928
2014: Anderson .911 Sv%, Mason .917
2013: Anderson .941 SV%, Mason .944

In the 3+ years that Mason has been with Philly, he has been arguably better than Anderson every year. Mason is definately better. Not a 1st rounder better, but yeah better.

Over last 3 years, Even Strength SV%:

Price .938
Mason .931 tied for 2nd in the league with Luongo, Rask, Lundqvist.
Anderson .926 in 13th spot

Last 3 years all situations:
Price .931
Schneider .924 2nd
Mason .921 tied for 8th
Anderson .916 tied for 18th

The Flyers passive PK hurts Mason more than anything. At ES, he is an elite goalie.

And Mason is 7 years younger, as you noted. And he is cheaper this year. So yeah, you are wrong.

Side note, when you see the gap between Price and the rest, pretty darn impressive.

Mkoll

Inkvisiittori
Jul 5, 2008
New Brunswick, Canada
It doesn't matter how much proof you throw out there, too many people still think Mason is in Columbus (I feel I need to explain that is a figurative statement, not literal).

He Is Knocking

Jul 1, 2015

In the 3+ years that Mason has been with Philly, he has been arguably better than Anderson every year. Mason is definately better. Not a 1st rounder better, but yeah better.

Price .938

Price .931
Schneider .924 2nd
Mason .921 tied for 8th

The Flyers passive PK hurts Mason more than anything. At ES, he is an elite goalie.

And Mason is 7 years younger, as you noted. And he is cheaper this year. So yeah, you are wrong.

Side note, when you see the gap between Price and the rest, pretty darn impressive.

Good notes!

It's strange the reputation Mason has with fans around the league.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Price .938

Price .931
Schneider .924 2nd
Mason .921 tied for 8th

Philly has a better defense and a better system than Ottawa. many nights, poor Andy was all alone out there.

Stats alone simply don't tell the whole story.

Mkoll

Inkvisiittori
Jul 5, 2008
New Brunswick, Canada
Philly has a better defense and a better system than Ottawa. many nights, poor Andy was all alone out there.

Stats alone simply don't tell the whole story.

Yes, actually they can when you have multiple years to call from. And Philly defense has been a shamble for the past several years, yet Mason consistently puts up good numbers.

Mason is better.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
The Lightning aren't giving you a top-two goalie in the NHL for that collection of garbage. If I were Yzerman I would find that offer to be downright insulting.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
Yes, actually they can when you have multiple years to call from. And Philly defense has been a shamble for the past several years, yet Mason consistently puts up good numbers.

Mason is better.

Very arguable, but if true, it's by a razor thin margin.

And what if we look at playoffs? Mason is 2-9 with a 3.37 GAA and .895 SVP.

Anderson is 12-14 with a 2.35 GAA, a .933 SVP and 3 shutouts.

If anything, I would say Anderson's major fault is that he's come to give up a bit when the team is consistently playing brutally. He stands on his head for 20 games and then gets fed up when he gets no support. On a good team, I'd rather Anderson (although Mason is an above average starter too).

Mkoll

Inkvisiittori
Jul 5, 2008
New Brunswick, Canada

If anything, I would say Anderson's major fault is that he's come to give up a bit when the team is consistently playing brutally. He stands on his head for 20 games and then gets fed up when he gets no support. On a good team, I'd rather Anderson (although Mason is an above average starter too).

Those are some decent points :)
Thank you

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

Using Masons numbers in a Columbus to determine who is is with Philly is quite unfair.

In 7 playoff games with Philly, Mason has 3 bad games, and 4 great games. And the Flyers played the Presidents trophy winner in 1 series, and the team that went on to be the SC finalist the other year. Hardly sloaches. And if Philly has Mason for the full series against the NYR(was concussed) instead of Emery, they could have win that series.

Regardless, it's a 7 game sample size over a 3 year period so any good or bad game can sway things disproportionately.

But no sense going on with this, both teams are happy with their goaltending and not looking for changes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad