2 Forwards or 1 forward and 1 defensemen

2 forwards or a defensemen and a forward

• Total voters

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Give me two forwards. It’s a position where more players are needed and as a result the luxury of having a plethora of talent to pick and choose from makes it more valuable than stacking up a defense which can only hold 6 (7 if you’re Boucher) players on the ice.

Unless they think Drysdale has elite D potential I would think they go Stutzle + Rossi/Raymond/Perfetti

Reactions: WaitingInVain

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Stutzle/Byfield along with Drysdale would be best case scenario imo. But doubt Drysdald makes it to 5 so I'll probably go for a 2nd forward and take Raymond.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
I think you guys should grab a guy with an elite shot. I don’t see any Sens guys who have an elite shot to help the PP. Holtz would be a good one to go with Byfield or Stützle.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
How about just BPA?

We have vast needs all over the place. I see no reason to get cute and over think it.

Just take the best player period.
Yeah, hope that Drysdale slips to 5. If he isnt there I want Forward Forward. I predict the sens will end up with Byfield and one of Drysdale or Quinn.

Reactions: DJB

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Two forwards because Drysdale seems to be a good spot for Detroit.
Not sure Detroit wants another right side dman. Hronek and Seider are both right handed. They need forwards. Or in a shocking twist I could see Stevie go with Askarov and build from the net out like he did with Vasilevskiy.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
My guess is that Ottawa will end up with Stutzle & Sanderson, then pick a partner for Sanderson at #21. Then look into the 2nd & 3rd rds for forwards & maybe another defensive tandem.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Stutzle/Drysdale would be my hope, if not Drysdale, don't want Sanderson at 5, so two forwards

Reactions: JD1

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Yeah got to be BPA unless a tie then choose based on need.

Gotta trust the scouts. We have good ones thank god.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Two forwards ideally with 3 & 5.

Ottawa will continue to suck in the short-term and 2021 draft is a better target for defensive prospects.

There are some intriguing options in this year's draft too that maybe available from NYI 1st and beyond - Barron, Schneider, et. al. to complement a bonafide young number 1 defenceman in Chabot. No need to waste the prime opportunity to secure the forward positions (we have been lacking forever) with cornerstone type guys available in the top-5 this draft.

Last edited:

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Two forwards ideally with 3 & 5.

Ottawa will continue to suck in the short-term and 2021 draft is a better target for defensive prospects.

There are some intriguing options in this year's draft too that maybe available from NYI 1st and beyond - Barron, Schneider, et. al. to complement a bonafide young number 1 defenceman in Chabot. No need to waste the prime opportunity to secure the forward positions (we have been lacking forever) with cornerstone type guys like available in the top-5 this draft.
And in the second round lots of good defenseman

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
All the choices this year seem so hard. Im having a real hard time deciding. Part of me i think secretly hopes we get Byfield and then take Sanderson to plant a foundational flag. But if we get Stutzle, i think id rather get that 2nd forward, although picking that forward ties me up in knots.

Asquaredx2

Mar 10, 2008
I just don't understand wanting a defenceman at #5.

In my opinion, our forward group has been a weakness for this team since Spezza's last great season in 2012. And then in the last few years, we have been hemorrhaging forward talent: Stone, Duchene/Turris, Hoffman, Zibanejad/Brassard, Pageau, Dzingle, MacArthur, etc. Those forwards have been replaced by...Brady Tkachuk and Colin White (who might be more of a middle six guy). No one else in the top-6 on the current roster is in our long-term plans (or should be anyway). Batherson and especially Norris look like promising prospects, but who knows how they'll turn out. Jury is also still out on Brown, who I have less confidence in becoming a top-6 forward each year.

Conversely, while we have also lost Karlsson recently, we have a stud #1 defenceman locked up in Chabot, and strong prospect depth in Brannstrom, Bernard-Docker, and Thomson. And the 2021 draft, in which we will all but certainly be picking in the top 5-ish, has several promising defencemen and barely any exciting forwards to speak of.

In general, I understand the rationale of picking the BPA. But Drysdale/Sanderson's development is not going to be maximized, and their trade value is not going to appreciate, if they are playing on an imbalanced team where most of the forward lines can't do anything with the pucks that get passed up to them. Conversely, if we draft two electric forwards like Stutzle and Raymond (neither of whom seems to have a comparable in 2021 from the way things look right now), all of a sudden more of the passes from Chabot, Brannstrom and JBD end up turning into assists, and players' confidence and trade value start to rise.

Plus, it's just more fun to watch dynamic forwards than someone like Drysdale or Sanderson, who have great skating ability but certainly not the creativity of a Makar or Hughes.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
2 forwards.

I don't take "don't draft for need" as seriously as some people here do. Real life isn't the EA NHL games. Many times you can't simply trade for the positions you need-even if you have the assets-because other teams won't want to give up a good, young player so easily.

Reactions: Asquaredx2

odhiambo

Apr 12, 2009
If I’m Ottawa:

1) with 3rd pick select Byfield or Stützle
2) with 5th pick select Askarov
3) with NYI pick select Schneider

Askarov is an elite talent that doesn’t come along too often!

Schneider is a Shea Weber type defence man that compliments our current d-men core.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I'd take Drysdale with 5 if available. If he projects to a middle of the pack 1st pair pmd rhd that's more valuable than a winger barring the elite of the elite. I'll take the controlled zone exits and entries that high end pmds provide over wingers.

At the end of the day, unless PD goes way off the board there isn't really a bad pick and it'll take years to sort out whether it was the right pick

Reactions: Micklebot

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If Drysdale is available, i lean towards him. If not i think I'd take Perfetti or Raymond over Sanderson, but i won't lose sleep over it.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
I'd look at the composition of the roster. Start with the top end guys you already have slotted into your lineup for potentially the next 5+ years: Tkachuk, Batherson, Chabot, Norris and Duclair. If I'm looking to maximize my 2-person pairings to give the most flexibility through the lineup you need to consider what style of player would mesh with these guys individually.

Tkachuk needs a setup man, preferably one who likes to get to the net too but has some silky hands to put the puck in high-danger scoring areas.
Batherson is a playmaking winger. He'll need someone who can thrive off his creativity and passing skills.
Chabot is a top-end 1D with +++skating and elite offensive ability.
Norris is a north-south two-way player with higher end goal scoring skills than passing/playmaking.
Duclair is a pure finisher with ++speed. He'll need a north-south linemate who can keep up with him in the skating dept.

So let's say Tkachuk is your top-line LW, Batherson is a top-line/second line RW, Chabot is 1D, Norris is 2C and Duclair is 2LW.

Tkachuk-xxx-Batherson(?)
Duclair-Norris-xxx

Chabot-xxx

Is Batherson better served being a 2RW as his passing skill complements Norris and Duclair's finishing skills? Or does Duclair need a speedster anchoring that C spot. Does that push Norris down to 3C where he might lose some of his effectiveness? Or do you bump him up to 1C to play with his buddy Brady? And what results would you expect from a first year player handling the 1C duties? And where does that put White in the lineup?

If Batherson moved down to 2RW, we need a 1C and 1RW to play with Tkachuk.
Chabot needs a great partner. Might be better to rummage around the UFA market or to make a package of prospect(s) and pick(s) to get a strong, youngish defenseman to partner with him.

So where does that leave us in terms of drafting? Stutzle will be a winger at the NHL level is what the scouting assessments seem to indicate. Byfield will be an excellent 1C at some point but it's not looking likely he'll play in the NHL next year with any consistency. Rossi doesn't have the skating tools to play the 2C position alongside Duclair. So does he play 1C? Does his style fit with Tkachuk and Batherson? Or is Perfetti a better fit?

Reactions: Xspyrit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad