Speculation: #2 Center this season?

gadiamon72

Jun 13, 2013
2C is Kovar's to lose, but I would rather Bailey play center over Nelson if Kovar does not pan out. Nelson plays his best hockey as a top 6 winger.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Wing will be playing next to Prayer.
Good one. This is like...
hqdefault.jpg

Beastrt

Jun 14, 2011
The long term #2C is going to be addressed via the draft, I see no other reasonable way for us to fill that gaping hole other than to draft one. Until Belmont is ready or almost ready, we are not a free agent destination and so filling that hole via quick fix is not happening. I also don't see us trading any of the youngsters or draft picks to fill that spot either. We're just going to have to ham and egg it for a year with a bunch of imperfect options.

I think Kovar and Nelson won't be here after this season, but they are my favorites to man the spot for the majority of the season. Bailey should remain at wing and I think Beauvillier is a winger and should be stapled to Barzal's hip all season.

I agree that the best way to get a center is at the draft, but that depends a team like arizona reached for a center rather then take BPA. This was a mistake and if the isles draft a center based on need next year that could be a mistake also. They could trade there 1st round pick or a prospect at next years draft if there center is not the bpa. Centers like schenn and stephan have been traded at recent drafts so anything can happen.

As for this year i can't believe I'm saying this, I would honestly resign nelson to a 2 year deal if i could and give him a chance to have a big year under trotz.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I agree that the best way to get a center is at the draft, but that depends a team like arizona reached for a center rather then take BPA. This was a mistake and if the isles draft a center based on need next year that could be a mistake also. They could trade there 1st round pick or a prospect at next years draft if there center is not the bpa. Centers like schenn and stephan have been traded at recent drafts so anything can happen.

As for this year i can't believe I'm saying this, I would honestly resign nelson to a 2 year deal if i could and give him a chance to have a big year under trotz.

Take a look at the 2019 draft thread and the 2019 class. Assuming we have a top-10ish pick, we wouldn't have to reach for a quality center prospect. It's a strong center crop with them coming in all shapes and sizes.

I think Nelson gets a 1-year deal and then is dealt at the trade deadline.

Reactions: Chapin Landvogt

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Like most here, I see one of Kovar, Nelson or Filppula in the 2nd line center role, in that order.

In light of Kovar's contract, it's kind of his role to lose. A player of his nature at his age and with a solid, but "swallowable" contract number, is clearly being given a shot at a scoring role on a line that will already feature two 60-point forwards.

What I do not get, and I see this coming from and being suggested by many here and around the Twittersphere, is the feeling that Beauvillier should be removed from Barzal. I don't get it.

I may be a bit old school in nature, but one of the things I've most potently learned along the way in life, and in over 15 years of coaching, is that you don't fix what ain't broken.

And when I see former Team Canada linemates get thrown together for 34 games and this leads to 18 goals scored by a one Mr. Beauvillier, I sure as shit ain't fooling around with THAT chemistry. It's about the only doggone thing on this team that was going right from the minute it was attempted.

Now, if Barzal and Beau fail to continue to click, especially under the pressure they'll likely face this season, and if Kovar (or Nelson for that matter) don't work out between Lee and Bailey, then it behooves a coach and coaching staff to try out new things. It's basically a must and I fully expect it.

But until that time, I don't even let the thought of taking apart Barzal's line cross my mind.

It.Doesn't.Cross.My.Mind

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
What I do not get, and I see this coming from and being suggested by many here and around the Twittersphere, is the feeling that Beauvillier should be removed from Barzal. I don't get it.

I agree with you. To add to what you said - playing Beauvillier on the wing plays to his strengths (transition and his quick and accurate shot) while limiting his weaknesses (defensive zone coverage, turning over the puck in the defensive zone).

Reactions: Wanderson

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Like most here, I see one of Kovar, Nelson or Filppula in the 2nd line center role, in that order.

In light of Kovar's contract, it's kind of his role to lose. A player of his nature at his age and with a solid, but "swallowable" contract number, is clearly being given a shot at a scoring role on a line that will already feature two 60-point forwards.

I may be a bit old school in nature, but one of the things I've most potently learned along the way in life, and in over 15 years of coaching, is that you don't fix what ain't broken.

And when I see former Team Canada linemates get thrown together for 34 games and this leads to 18 goals scored by a one Mr. Beauvillier, I sure as **** ain't fooling around with THAT chemistry. It's about the only doggone thing on this team that was going right from the minute it was attempted.

Now, if Barzal and Beau fail to continue to click, especially under the pressure they'll likely face this season, and if Kovar (or Nelson for that matter) don't work out between Lee and Bailey, then it behooves a coach and coaching staff to try out new things. It's basically a must and I fully expect it.

But until that time, I don't even let the thought of taking apart Barzal's line cross my mind.

It.Doesn't.Cross.My.Mind

among the many things AB brings to "the kid who won the calder" line is the way he gets after the puck in the o zone. He and #13 are gnats on the forcheck, once they get it look out. AB has the skills to finish and the wheels to keep up. Looking for 30 big ones this year...

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
I think if Lou is putting on an act about Nelson being on the team and actually does ship him out as part of a package, it will either be for the player that becomes the second line center or a top 4 dman. If it is for the dman, then yes, Kovar will probably start as 2C. However, if Lou is being honest and does plan to keep Nelson. I dont see how Nelson is not the 2C. Despite what we think of many aspects of his game, he is a proven 20 goal scorer in the NHL, something Kovar is not. And those saying he needs to be in a top 6 winger role, where do you see this spot opening? Beau, Eberle, Bailey, Lee, there is no top 6 winger spot open. All of this is why I still believe Lou has to be working on some kind of deal centered around Nelson or Cizikas, it is the only explanation for why the Kovar signing was made in the first place otherwise it makes no sense. If Cizikas goes, we have Barzal - Nelson - Kovar - Filppula down the middle. If Nelson goes, we have Barzal - Kovar - Filppula - Cizikas down the middle.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
If the 2d line is Lee-Kovar-Bailey, who takes shots from outside the slot? Kovar is supposedly a playmaker. Bailey is a playmaker. Lee scores from in front of the net as a garbage man. Those 2 wingers need a C that can shoot. And that would be....

latest

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Kovar is an interesting signing. Apparently there were a number of teams interested in him. Just from the highlights I have been able to grab on him, he has a little bit of David Krejci in him. As with these type of signings they can be a hit or a miss. But it was a freebie, and a good coup by The Isles and Lou to get him.

Reactions: dood

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
Kovar seems like JT, stylistically, so i can see him fitting in well with Lee & Bailey. Kovar, i heard, is defensively responsible? that is cool.

Bailey has a pretty good shot, when he uses it.

given the number of forwards that can play different positions, i think there will be many options for Trotz. still feels weird, saying Trotz, lol. a good weird.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
If the 2d line is Lee-Kovar-Bailey, who takes shots from outside the slot? Kovar is supposedly a playmaker. Bailey is a playmaker. Lee scores from in front of the net as a garbage man. Those 2 wingers need a C that can shoot. And that would be....

If you're going to keep Lee and Bailey together, I do think Nelson is the better fit between them than Kovar.

Also, I agree with what @Chapin Landvogt said above. Not only has Beauvillier only had success at wing in the NHL, but his strengths and weaknesses point to him being a successful winger, hopefully with similar trajectory to Brad Marchand, you know, without the sexual harassment...

Reactions: PWJunior

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
While I'm not opposed to seeing Beau get an opportunity to play center, I think his game and innate chemistry with Barzal makes him most suited to ride shotgun as the #1LW. It's going to be a season of flux, I'd give Barzal that one security blanket all season because I foresee a lot of roster turnover at the trade deadline.

Barzal is no beast in the dot, having Beau there to take his strongside draws will benefit that line.

"Barzal's faceoff percentage was only better than Tavares' because Beauvillier was there to take the difficult draws for him!"

Come on, we all know it would happen.

Reactions: PWJunior

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
People in this thread talk about trying Bailey at 2C like it's a life or death situation. Trotz can easily experiment and see if it works, and if Bailey is committed to being a RW instead of a C, put him back at RW.

With JT leaving, I'd see how much chemistry still exists between Lee & Bailey, then add Ho-Sang into the mix to give the line some skill as Lee camps out in front of the net.

Beau - Barzal - Eberle
Lee - Bailey - Ho-Sang

I'm not etching that lineup into stone but I'm also not writing off Bailey as our #2C. He's taken a lot of strides in his career these past few seasons, he's defensively responsible, if it doesn't work oh well.

One of the interesting things about Bailey is how well he developed defensively since being moved to wing. I think best case at center with him you are looking at 45-50 points with a seriously good defensive game.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

I believe Beauvillier has the ability(not saying he will) to become a Ryan O'reilly level of center in the NHL. Given that I value centers over left wings, I think Islanders need to explore that option(especially given our lack of center depth)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad