Speculation: #2 Center this season?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Time to start figuring out how the Isles line up this season will shape up. Free Agent pickings are slim now, and a deal may still be consummated. But right now, would you guys agree the #2C is looking more and more like Josh Bailey?

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Time to start figuring out how the Isles line up this season will shape up. Free Agent pickings are slim now, and a deal may still be consummated. But right now, would you guys agree the #2C is looking more and more like Josh Bailey?

Its probably either Nelson or Kovar, depending on what happens - tradewise - before the season starts.

Reactions: Thrasymachus

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
No. That ship has sailed. Bailey is a RW, and a darn good one.

I'd rather see Brock Nelson butcher center than restart the "lets screw with Josh Bailey" show.

Its probably either Nelson or Kovar, depending on what happens - tradewise - before the season starts.
How was Bailey when he was a Center? I was not following the Isles as closely back then. Do you think he would be still good at it? Or is his better position at wing? Also is he good at faceoffs and is he good defensively if the Isles convert him?

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
How was Bailey when he was a Center? I was not following the Isles as closely back then. Do you think he would be still good at it? Or is his better position at wing? Also is he good at faceoffs and is he good defensively if the Isles convert him?

Josh Bailey was always terrible at faceoffs, and was never particularly good playing in space. He's excellent playing the point on his off hand, which is rare, and he starts the rush from the boards really well. Playing the off wing has somehow induced him to shoot more, which is something he was notorious for *never doing* as a center. I'd worry he'd score less than 10 as a center. In short, switching him to center takes away his strengths and emphasizes his weaknesses. It doesn't make any sense.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I personally think the Islanders need to groom Beauvillier for a potential 2nd line center role(playing him on the third line this year). In terms of centers this year with Filppula and Kovacs signing I expect one of them to get that job. Personally I would have tried to see if I could have got Spezza from Dallas for super cheap(like a 7th round pick). Given our capspace 1 year @ 7.5M wouldn't have hurt us

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

It's going to be Nelson for Kovar.

I doubt they even try Bailey there in camp.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Islanders were terrible on faceoffs across the board including the youngsters Barzal and Tito

Komarov and Cizekas are serviceable faceoff guys. The others need to improve.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I think depending on how camp goes, Nelson could be a trade chip for a defenseman.

d0wn70wn

Dec 26, 2017
Ship has sailed on Bailey @ C. He's being paid to be a RW. I'd imagine Nelson/Kovar get a shot. I'd like to see Beauvillier take reps @ 2c. He put up points as top-6 winger last year and could possibly work out. Then again he was fire on the line w/ Barzal & Eberle for half a season - a full year of that plus growth from last season and he could be an all-star this year on LW there. So difficult to project everything, but if Beau plays w/ Barzal/Ebs then I see Kovar slotting between Lee & Bailey if he looks the part. If he doesn't I'm not sure what happens.

Sleestak Nation

Jul 6, 2009
Land of the Lost
Based on today's roster you have to think management really hopes Kovar becomes that go to guy for that spot. Don't really like Nelson going there and absolutely no to Bailey having a redux at centre.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
As the Bailey Fan Club President, I can say without a shadow of a doubt that Bailey should not be shifted back to center. He hasn't played that position with any regularity in like seven years. In a pinch he can fill in without much of an issue, but he's not a long term solution there. There are five other guys who can play center on the roster, Beauvillier, Kovar, Nelson, Cizikas, and Filppula. Each of them has played it more frequently and recently than Bailey has. Pick one and roll with it.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
In House options -

Nelson
Kovar
Beauvillier

*Ho-Sang's camp performance may also factor in the decision.

Kovar could have been brought in to simply push Nelson. Nelson historically has played well with Lee and may excel in that spot. Always considered Nelson a poor man's Tavares.

What happens to Kovar if Nelson is the 2C? If he Makes the team, then he is the 13th F and Keeps Nelson and others working hard. Or he doesn't make the team and decides to go back to the KHL and terminate the contract.

If Kovar wins the no. 2 C, then Nelson can move to Filppula's Wing with either Ladd, Komarov, or Ho-Sang. Or he can get traded. Like most, I believe Nelson is a better W than C. Nelson could always be moved for a D man in the coming months. But who? Because Nelson is not getting you Faulk, Trouba, or Nurse

If Ho-Sang pushes the staff's hand and makes the team - he needs to play. He slots in as 3rd RW and playing with Filppula (a very good defensive F) could work. Easiest way to deal with the roster crunch would be to send down Ho-Sang, because you are not going to sit Komarov and the like. But, IMO that is not your best 12.

Beauvillier is a natural C. He excelled at C in juniors. I do not remember there being ?'s on Beau staying at C. This is an intriguing option, because if Beau can man the 2C and excel here this team can very well contend if they can get decent goaltending.

Here is an intriguing thought how about instead of Lee - Beauvillier - Bailey- they go with

Lee - Beauvillier - Ho-Sang

Move Bailey to Barzal's left on the top line.

That would create a bottom 6 of
Nelson - Filppula - Komarov
Ladd - Cizikas - Clutterbuck
With Martin and Kovar providing cover. Kuhnackl then gets waived.
Johnston goes down B'port.

If Nelson gets traded - Kuhnackl becomes 14th F. If Ho-Sang fails to impress then he is sent down and provides cover for an injury in the top 6.

I do not want to trade the 2019 #1 pick. this team can very easily be a bottom 10 finish and that draft prospect can be the long term solution at 2C

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Give Kovar every chance to win the 2C job. That is probably in the best interest of the team both short and long term.

If he is solid, then you can keep Nelson and Beauvillier on the wings, where Nelson is better and give Beauvillier more time to get stronger and gain experience. No need to rush Tito.

Then you decide if Kovar is a core player, and extend him, or trade him at the deadline. Personally, I am hoping plays well and locks down the 3C role after this season, capable of shifting up to 2C from time to time as needed, for a few years.

This team badly needs quality center's. It would be nice to find a serviceable one in Kovar and maybe draft a higher-end player next year, in what is looking like a solid draft for pivots.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Islanders were terrible on faceoffs across the board including the youngsters Barzal and Tito.

Tito was something like a 60% faceoff guy in the CHL, so one hopes with a little experience behind him he can be a 50%+ guy sometime in the near future.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Give Kovar every chance to win the 2C job. That is probably in the best interest of the team both short and long term.

If he is solid, then you can keep Nelson and Beauvillier on the wings, where Nelson is better and give Beauvillier more time to get stronger and gain experience. No need to rush Tito.

Then you decide if Kovar is a core player, and extend him, or trade him at the deadline. Personally, I am hoping plays well and locks down the 3C role after this season, capable of shifting up to 2C from time to time as needed, for a few years.

This team badly needs quality center's. It would be nice to find a serviceable one in Kovar and maybe draft a higher-end player next year, in what is looking like a solid draft for pivots.

The long term #2C is going to be addressed via the draft, I see no other reasonable way for us to fill that gaping hole other than to draft one. Until Belmont is ready or almost ready, we are not a free agent destination and so filling that hole via quick fix is not happening. I also don't see us trading any of the youngsters or draft picks to fill that spot either. We're just going to have to ham and egg it for a year with a bunch of imperfect options.

I think Kovar and Nelson won't be here after this season, but they are my favorites to man the spot for the majority of the season. Bailey should remain at wing and I think Beauvillier is a winger and should be stapled to Barzal's hip all season.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Tito was something like a 60% faceoff guy in the CHL, so one hopes with a little experience behind him he can be a 50%+ guy sometime in the near future.

While I'm not opposed to seeing Beau get an opportunity to play center, I think his game and innate chemistry with Barzal makes him most suited to ride shotgun as the #1LW. It's going to be a season of flux, I'd give Barzal that one security blanket all season because I foresee a lot of roster turnover at the trade deadline.

Barzal is no beast in the dot, having Beau there to take his strongside draws will benefit that line.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Just another name to throw in there. Komarov can play center in emergency cases. Not a #2 C candidate. But one that could also take faceoffs. I would say he is neither great or bad taking them. But he will give you a 50-50 shot at the dot.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
How bad is Filppula that he's not in consideration with his 52% career FOW%?

I'm not even trying to be devil's advocate, I really have no idea how good/bad he is...

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
It took Bailey 7-8 years to relax and play well at wing. If they gave him the added responsibilities of playing C he might tighten up again and regress.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
People in this thread talk about trying Bailey at 2C like it's a life or death situation. Trotz can easily experiment and see if it works, and if Bailey is committed to being a RW instead of a C, put him back at RW.

With JT leaving, I'd see how much chemistry still exists between Lee & Bailey, then add Ho-Sang into the mix to give the line some skill as Lee camps out in front of the net.

Beau - Barzal - Eberle
Lee - Bailey - Ho-Sang

I'm not etching that lineup into stone but I'm also not writing off Bailey as our #2C. He's taken a lot of strides in his career these past few seasons, he's defensively responsible, if it doesn't work oh well.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
People in this thread talk about trying Bailey at 2C like it's a life or death situation. Trotz can easily experiment and see if it works, and if Bailey is committed to being a RW instead of a C, put him back at RW.

With JT leaving, I'd see how much chemistry still exists between Lee & Bailey, then add Ho-Sang into the mix to give the line some skill as Lee camps out in front of the net.

Beau - Barzal - Eberle
Lee - Bailey - Ho-Sang

I'm not etching that lineup into stone but I'm also not writing off Bailey as our #2C. He's taken a lot of strides in his career these past few seasons, he's defensively responsible, if it doesn't work oh well.

I like the thought process of this. Bailey is a natural playmaker. He's also more mature now. He could be the best choice given his experience of now being one of the senior guys to take on that role. He will still have Lee on his flank. Just have to hope one of the young guys steps up on the wing. Hosang, Bellows, ect... Trotz likes to roll 4 lines. May even be a Komarov. This is what the preseason is for, if it doesn't work Bailey can go back to the wing. But certainly worth a shot.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
How bad is Filppula that he's not in consideration with his 52% career FOW%?

I'm not even trying to be devil's advocate, I really have no idea how good/bad he is...

At this stage of his career, I think most assume he is the 3C, at least to start the season. Unless he found the fountain of youth in the off season and/or has one final, out-of-nowhere season in him. He has a role, just hopefully not in the top six.

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

DonLou13

Jun 18, 2018
I think it is Kovars job to lose. Nelson should be a third line wing or traded, especially with this contract issue he is having right now. I think center is going to be our best position this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad