GDT: #2| Carolina Hurricanes @ New York Islanders| October 11th 7:00 PM | F/W 4-3

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island

IslandersHurricanes2_zps47e96b27.png~original

Preview

All time series record: The Hurricanes lead 64-51-9 with a 3.3 GFPGA While the Islanders are averaging 3.0 GFPG. Islanders all time @ Hurricanes are 25-32-5 with a 2.9 GFPGA while the Hurricanes at home VS the Islanders are averaging 3.0 GPG

The New York Islanders are looking to make their final season at Nassau Coliseum memorable, and a repeat of their 2014-15 opener would surely be a good start.

John Tavares and Brock Nelson look to lead the new-look Islanders to their first 2-0 start in seven years by sweeping this home-and-home set with the Carolina Hurricanes on Saturday night.

Despite being synonymous with the suburbs on Long Island, the Islanders will move to the Barclays Center in Brooklyn next season ending years of trying to get the Coliseum renovated or getting funding to build a new arena in the area.

Once an intimidating venue where the Islanders lifted four straight Stanley Cup banners with a parade of Hall of Famers from 1980-83, the Coliseum has only hosted 14 playoff games since New York last reached the Eastern Conference finals in 1993.

The Islanders, who entered the NHL in 1972-73, have only reached the postseason once in seven seasons after finishing at the bottom of the Metropolitan Division in 2013-14.

"There are a lot of loyal fans here, and we want to make it special for them, though obviously it's not something we're going to think about every day," coach Jack Capuano said.

The Islanders certainly got this season off to an impressive start, scoring the first three goals before winning 5-3 at Carolina on Friday. They had eight players make their team debuts, with Johnny Boychuk tallying one goal and two assists, Mikhail Grabovski also scoring and Jaroslav Halak making 21 saves.

"This is a big starting point for us, the new faces contributed, and that's why they're here," Nelson said. "If we get more than a couple guys on the score sheet, we're going to be a pretty good hockey club."

Nelson did his part with a career-high four points after he had 26 in 72 games as a rookie last season.

While New York made a slew of changes in the offseason, having Tavares back is the biggest boost. The captain had three assists Friday in his first game back since missing 22 after suffering a knee injury at the Olympics in February.

He could be poised for another strong performance, having collected 11 goals and 12 assists in his past 12 meetings with Carolina.

New York, though, has lost four straight at home to the Hurricanes. Snapping that skid would give it a 2-0 start for the first time since sweeping a home-and-home set from Buffalo in 2007-08.

Carolina had its best period in the final 20 minutes Friday and scored three times on eight shots. However, coach Bill Peters wasn't happy about allowing a pair of power-play goals earlier, and said losing his NHL head coaching debut felt "not great right now, actually" because the Hurricanes "took a couple of penalties that put us behind the 8-ball, couldn't kill them, and gave them momentum."

Eric Staal had one of those goals, and has 12 with eight assists in 20 career games at the Coliseum.

Cam Ward, who made 21 saves in the opener, is likely to be rested in favor of backup Anton Khudobin, who went 19-14-1 with a 2.30 goals-against average last season.

He stopped 38 shots in a 3-2 win in his only appearance on Long Island on Jan. 4.

Useful links
http://www2.dailyfaceoff.com/

http://www.tsn.ca/

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/islanders/

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/hockey/islanders/

http://www.nypost.com/sports/islanders/islanders.htm

https://twitter.com/StapeNewsday

http://islanders.nhl.com/

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
God, the Coli is going to be rocking tonight... I wish I could be there. The team is feeling good and spirits look high, I think they're going to come out and bury Carolina early.

9-1 baby! Let's Go Isles and Buffalo can go suck it!!!

Strome18

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
6-3 Isles, a fight between Johnny Manchuk and Harrisnob.

The old barn will be loud and proud. Strome with his 1st goal of the season. Leddy with his 1st goal of season. Martin and Clutter will be big in this game. We need that 4th line to pound their "D".

Special teams will be crucial again.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Good 4-1 stomping!

Goals by Strome, Nelson, JT and Frans.

Nyifan12

Oct 1, 2011
If you want to be in the pouring rain, sure why not?

Prediction: 4-2 loss. Canes gained momentum and confidence in the 3rd period last night while the same old 3rd period jitters returned. Until the coaching staff teaches them how to shut down another team in the last 7 minutes of a game many fans will think "same old..."

nyscene

Jul 26, 2006
PANIC!
tumblr_men210AImS1rmbhlto2_250.gif

Can't wait to be there for the last home opener at the Old Barn. Lets rock that MFer

6-2 Isles.

FourRings

Mar 26, 2013
New York City
If you want to be in the pouring rain, sure why not?

Prediction: 4-2 loss. Canes gained momentum and confidence in the 3rd period last night while the same old 3rd period jitters returned. Until the coaching staff teaches them how to shut down another team in the last 7 minutes of a game many fans will think "same old..."
All I need is an umbrella, some beers and snacks and a bluetooth speaker and my buddy and I will be fine :)

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Up early after a late viewing of the game last night. Can't wait for later! Here's to a repeat performance, only this time with less goals against. :cheers:

As I stated before, a key to this team's success is to drastically improve their record against their divisional rivals. Especially when that team is probably going to be near the bottom of the standings all year. They can't afford to lose to these teams. Step on their necks, boys!

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012

It's also a question of the goalies,
could be Khudobin is much better and
if Halak plays again everything is possible, see Mason.

I would play Johnson 100 times.

IHateSidney

Oct 30, 2011
NY
I'm gonna be there tonight I am SO excited I've never been to opening night. This is our season damn it! Lets go Islanders!!!

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
We should start Johnson. Halak has big injury issues, and honestly looked shaky in the 3rd. Johnson's good enough to start in a back-to-back against Carolina.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
We should start Johnson. Halak has big injury issues, and honestly looked shaky in the 3rd. Johnson's good enough to start in a back-to-back against Carolina.

This is why you invest in a strong backup goaltender. So you don't have to overplay your starter and rest him on back to back games.

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia

Agreed, this is why it was important for Snow to go out and get a legitimate backup like Johnson. In addition, it is the beginning of the year and Carolina is a weak team

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
I'd be surprised if we see Johnson before Thursday night against the Sharks. I doubt Cappy keeps his starting goalie out for the home opener or for the first big rivalry game of the season against the Rangers on Tuesday.

CaptDenisPotvin

The Tampa Bay Astros are your 2021 Champions
Jun 20, 2007
A few things I came away with from last night:

1) With Boychuk I was excited about his defensive ability but the guy has a clapper from the point.
2) Conacher played very well IMO there were a few possessions he was buzzing around the net and passed well....but when he was put in position to score, the shots he made were less than dangerous. Hopefully that gets better.
3) Nelson - even more so now you will hear the calls for Nelson on the top line...which I understand. IMO he is now driving his own line and we are a more dangerous team with him centering his own line.
4) I would love to say Bailey looked good but he didn't, there was a rush up the ice that stuck out to me....he made such a bad pass to Kulemin that it actually ended up being a drop pass to Neilson following the play (and no that's not where he was going with the puck). IMO Bailey has a 4-6 week tryout and if he does shape up, he's in the press box when Grabner comes back. The ONLY other spot I would consider for him with be 4th line center when Grabs comes back because Cizikas didn't look great either but CC kills penalties.
5) Halak- very good early...average in the 3rd period....extremely happy we have this guy.

Overall loved the pace, lets keep it going....10/14/2014 can't come soon enough

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
Section 104 row A. Can't. Friggin. WAIT!

Weather is such crap right now probably gonna head down around 4ish. Lets keep it rolling and take a quick 4 points from the canes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad