2 big trades to change the "D"

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Ehrhoff would be good, but he still has a long time left on his contract (7 years / $22 million remaining). I suppose he could be had at a lower rate if the Flyers take on 100% of his contract.

Another name I'd like to see them look at is Nikita Nikitin in Columbus. He's going to be a UFA after the season is over, and if Columbus is out of contention, maybe he could be had for a decent price as well.

I like Nikitin too but he doesn't speak English and sees no reason to learn it apparently.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on...-nikita-nikitin-sees-no-need-to-learn-english

Don't think he would sign here with no other Russians on the team. Now if the Flyers signed Markov that might be a different story.

Last edited:

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I'm not sure if anyone would be interested, but what about the Flyers looking into a guy like Michael Del Zotto? He seems to have fallen out of favour in New York and could probably be had for a decent, but not overly ridiculous price. I've always been a fan of his game and think he could fit in really well here. Put him with Luke Schenn and we could really roll three solid pairings.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I'm not sure if anyone would be interested, but what about the Flyers looking into a guy like Michael Del Zotto? He seems to have fallen out of favour in New York and could probably be had for a decent, but not overly ridiculous price. I've always been a fan of his game and think he could fit in really well here. Put him with Luke Schenn and we could really roll three solid pairings.

I don't think they would trade him in division let alone to a major rival. We need to look at Western Conference teams or teams that are in need of a change or a player in need of a change. Rangers wouldn't deal him this way I think.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I don't think they would trade him in division let alone to a major rival. We need to look at Western Conference teams or teams that are in need of a change or a player in need of a change. Rangers wouldn't deal him this way I think.

I get what you're saying. I'd love to see Del Zotto here, but the Flyers would probably need a third party to make it happen. If they look out west for a defenseman, I'd love to see them acquire a guy like Brandon Gormley. I think he's in need of a change of scenery and it looks like they probably won't have him crack the Phoenix roster because of all the defensemen on one way deals.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I get what you're saying. I'd love to see Del Zotto here, but the Flyers would probably need a third party to make it happen. If they look out west for a defenseman, I'd love to see them acquire a guy like Brandon Gormley. I think he's in need of a change of scenery and it looks like they probably won't have him crack the Phoenix roster because of all the defensemen on one way deals.

Phoenix is a tricky team to get a read on now. There were rumors of Yandle constantly, but now they have new ownership and money so his name has not popped up in any rumors since the deal to keep them in Glendale. I would love Yandle on the Flyers, people don't like him around here, but I think he would be a huge boost to the team. It just matters at what price? B. Schenn? I don't like it. Scott Laughton, maybe? I think they move a roster defender before they move Gormley, unless they use hi as bait to grab a big offensive type player.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
I do think Ehrhoff is maybe my 'favourite' realistic option:

UFA's

Girardi
Boyle
Markov
Pitkanen
Niskanen
Nikitin
Timonen
MacDonald
Russell
Gilbert
Diaz

They are the UFAs who can maybe feasibly play a top 4 role with 20+ minutes.(though for some that is very tenable.)

Most of them are old, injury questions, have glaring weaknesses or are likely to be resigned.

There are some good RFA's, but it is almost impossible to speculate on them at this time.

Nikitin has been awful this year from what I have seen... he is getting the Luke Schenn treatment by Columbus, used sparingly and sheltered. But he has shown in the past he can be pretty good...
if they would take it, I have no problems offering high salary 1 yr deals to one of timmonen, Boyle, markov.

kick the can down the road another year and keep hoping something presents itself, until our young guys are maybe ready.

RJ8812*

if they would take it, I have no problems offering high salary 1 yr deals to one of timmonen, Boyle, markov.

kick the can down the road another year and keep hoping something presents itself, until our young guys are maybe ready.

I agree. If we can get those guys on short term deals as a stop-gap until something else presents itself, I'd do it. I just don't think Boyle or Markov would want to sign for just one year

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
I agree. If we can get those guys on short term deals as a stop-gap until something else presents itself, I'd do it. I just don't think Boyle or Markov would want to sign for just one year

On the other hand... if Kimmo feels he is able go one more... and is willing to... He would, and I think Homer would give him the going rate, which would be high once again. That said, the Cap goes up and other contracts come off. That is a decent scenario in my book... And except for the mysteries of Father Time, we know what we're getting... a warrior and a leader and an old family member.

RJ8812*

On the other hand... if Kimmo feels he is able go one more... and is willing to... He would, and I think Homer would give him the going rate, which would be high once again. That said, the Cap goes up and other contracts come off. That is a decent scenario in my book... And except for the mysteries of Father Time, we know what we're getting... a warrior and a leader and an old family member.

I just wish Streit wasn't on the roster

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I would give Boyle or Markov two year deals provided they finish the season healthy and Kimmo retires.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
I would give Boyle or Markov two year deals provided they finish the season healthy and Kimmo retires.

Markov would be a nice signing depending on the term. Besides being a very good defenseman, he would give the Flyers a Russian presence that can only help when trying to bring in other Russians.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Markov would be a nice signing depending on the term. Besides being a very good defenseman, he would give the Flyers a Russian presence that can only help when trying to bring in other Russians.

Yes... for instance; next season the Flyers are allowed to sign Bryzgalov... maybe Markov could mediate and grease the skids for Homer and Mr. Snider. :sarcasm:

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
Does Brian Campbell have anything left in the tank?

Mez for Campbell.

Campbell - Coburn
Grossman - Streit
Kimono - Schenn

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013

Mez for Campbell.

Campbell - Coburn
Grossman - Streit
Kimono - Schenn

Campbell's contract will be too much too take on for 3 more seasons. We need that room.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010

Mez for Campbell.

Campbell - Coburn
Grossman - Streit
Kimono - Schenn

Campbell would be a great addition. His contract is only $1.1 million more than Timonens so there is room with the cap going up. Plus he comes off the books right as Voracek has to be signed for big money. But he will cost significantly more than Mezz.

Last edited:

rokkinman139

Jun 11, 2013
Skalica, Slovakia
I wouldn't mind kicking the tires on Jake Gardiner out of Toronto. It's hard to get a read on if that organization likes him or not, but he's got all the tools to be a stud. Even if he only develops to be a top 4 guy, his skills with the puck are unreal and we all know we need another puck mover on the back end that isn't Streit

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey

Not a fan.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York

I've always kind of liked MDZ too. For the right price I would be interested to see him on the Flyers. They'd have to protect him though, and you certainly wouldn't want him paired with Streit, except on the PP.

rokkinman139

Jun 11, 2013
Skalica, Slovakia
Thank you.

All three of those guys all top out at top 4 defensemen right now. Could they become the next great defensemen? Absolutely, but they're development track would have to take a ridiculous curve very,very soon. Morin will become Coburn, Hagg will become a Carle, and Ghost Bear more of a Timonen. All of those are best case scenarios. In a few years, we're going to be stuck in the same position we are now. Am I saying that we need to blow it up? No, but if we're going to contend for a Cup anytime soon, then we're going to need a stud.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Morins best case is not Coburn. He has the tools and IQ to become a #1. Does he get there? Nobody knows besides him. Ghost was the only comparison I thought was good. The others are pretty bad IMO. The best case is for all to become top pairing dmen

rokkinman139

Jun 11, 2013
Skalica, Slovakia
Morins best case is not Coburn. He has the tools and IQ to become a #1. Does he get there? Nobody knows besides him. Ghost was the only comparison I thought was good. The others are pretty bad IMO. The best case is for all to become top pairing dmen

Morin now and Coburn when he got drafted are basically identical, except Coburn skated better.

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
The way Morin plays defense reminds me more of Chara than Coburn. Not saying he's on that level, just that style. He's never out of the play with his size/reach advantage.

I think Gostisbehere projects to be more of a Streit type player than Kimmo. I think out of the 3, the closest to Timonen would be Hagg.

And as far as maximum potential, I think both Morin and Hagg could be top pairing guys. They both have all the tools, and the IQ. They certainly have their issues, though, and it's a bit of a reach that either one will turn into the true, stud #1 d-man we need, but drafting and developing d-men is a crapshoot. It's unfair to expect that level of play from them, but I think it's also unfair to completely dismiss their potential already, too. It's only been a few months since the draft, and the Flyers don't seem to want to hurry either one of them. Who knows what we'll be looking at in 5 years time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad