2 big trades to change the "D"

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
If we want Weber I think they would want 3 first round picks or something that would be equal to that using players already drafted. If they trade Weber then It would seem they are I a full rebuild and would want picks or young players. I think for Weber or any other proven #1 dman I would do it, but I wouldn't be upset if we didn't make the trade and kept our picks and players Girouxs age and younger

They still have Jones & some other young players playing in the NHL. You still have to get some NHL ready talent to help continue Jones' development.

Those three picks would all likely be in second half of the first round if Weber were to join the Flyers. So unless they get lucky most of those guys they select won't be making an NHL roster right away.

They would likely ask for a variations of picks & players IMO.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
if it's a garage sale for erhoff, sure. I don't see the point in bringing on marginally better players for anything of value. I wouldn't go after Girardi myself. I believe Streit was brought in to bridge the Kimmo absence gap, although I'd still bring him back if he wants to return. He has his moments, but he is still pretty productive.

Yeh, I just feel like they are really going to miss Kimmo.

Ehrhoff replaces Kimmo on the PP and transition game. (At this point in his career I feel he is actually better on the front end.) I mean, I imagine he gets ~35 points this year on an awful Buffalo team. 54 in 113 in the last two years is 40 point pace as well...

Yeh, his D is not as good, but I think his D is underrated by some. Easily Buffalos best on the backend since joining, and in Vancouver he was pretty darn good. He has never had negative Corsi On at the end of a season, and each year since 09-10 has been the best D on his team in Corsi.

Pretty certain he would actually be the best D man on the team.

The big problem ofc is Buffalo would certainly want prospects or a 1st.

If you could get it done round a 2nd and some other non essential pieces it would be great... but doubt that is enough unless they are in love with someone.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Nashville wouldnt accept what would have been 3 first rounders and more I believe a couple years ago but you think they would take a first, last years first and second and a salary dump now that they got through the high dollar years of the contract? Makes sense.

TheDrizzle81

Nov 13, 2008
Marlton NJ
Sir please drop the controller, turn off your gaming system and take a nap, return once you've rejoined reality.

Brutal. Absolutely brutal trades. They help no one. Trading our entire defensive prospect pool for weber and buff. Wow. And assuming they'd take back salary dumps in Streit and mez. Wow. While were at it can we trade read, Akeson raffl and a 2016 1st for Patrick Kane?

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Not gonna happen. Weber is not coming here unless it is at the end of his deal or his career. Pretty sure they turned down more for Weber two years ago anyway. That WPG is ridiculous. Aging defenseman on a 35+ contract, backup goalie on a one year deal with a potentially career ending hip injury waiting in the wings, a prospect who may or may not ever make the NHL (I know people are high on him, but with his size he's going to have to really be something special to ever stick in the NHL for more than a short while, let alone make any kind of legitimate impact in the NHL), and a first two years form now.

Go back to the drawing board.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
I am wondering what it would take to move up and select Ekblad. He and Morin achieving their potential and on the club for the next 15-20 years would be incredible.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I am wondering what it would take to move up and select Ekblad. He and Morin achieving their potential and on the club for the next 15-20 years would be incredible.

I think it all depends on where the Flyers finish this year. If they cool off and finish out of the playoffs with a top 10 pick, I think a first, third, and maybe a prospect could get it done if Ekblad isn't number 1 overall. If he is number 1, I think the price would be a little higher. Maybe something like:

2014 1st
2014 3rd
Ghost/Cousins/Stolie/Leier/McGinn

IDK. Maybe more. Maybe less. Either way I would do it. If they are in the playoffs it would probably cost a bit more because of the difference in draft choices.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010

That's a very interesting question. Right now the bottom 5 teams in the league are Sabres, Islanders, Edmonton, Calgary, and Florida. The Sabres are the only team without a big need for defense in the top 5. Would any of the other 4 be willing to trade that pick and drop down to the mid to late teens in a shallow draft? Edmonton? Maybe Calgary?

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013

I would think it would take Morin going back in the trade so that dream may not work out so well. Maybe Morin, our first this year (assuming it's a mid teen pick), and another prospect like Cousins or Hagg.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
I think it all depends on where the Flyers finish this year. If they cool off and finish out of the playoffs with a top 10 pick, I think a first, third, and maybe a prospect could get it done if Ekblad isn't number 1 overall. If he is number 1, I think the price would be a little higher. Maybe something like:

2014 1st
2014 3rd
Ghost/Cousins/Stolie/Leier/McGinn

IDK. Maybe more. Maybe less. Either way I would do it. If they are in the playoffs it would probably cost a bit more because of the difference in draft choices.

The cost of trading up from 10th to likely 2nd would be much more than adding a 3rd and a 2nd tier prospect. Teams have no incentive to trade that pick unless they are blow away. I would easily trade this years first and next years first for the chance at drafting Ekblad.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
The cost of trading up from 10th to likely 2nd would be much more than adding a 3rd and a 2nd tier prospect. Teams have no incentive to trade that pick unless they are blow away. I would easily trade this years first and next years first for the chance at drafting Ekblad.

In a strong draft year you may be right. Last year, I was right there with you laughing at the trades proposed to get into the top three or four. But this year, the class seems to be a lot weaker.

Look at some of the past draft day trades in the top 5:

2002 - #4 overall for two second rounders and Ruslan Fedotenko
2003 - #1 and #73 overall to PIT for #3 and #55 overall. Less of a drop but still trading back.
2004 - #8 and #59 for #4
2008 - 1st (7th overall)/2nd/3rd for #5 overall

None of those are really insane overpayments. Granted besides the 2002 trade, none are as big a jump from lets say 10 to 2, but I'm not so sure the deals would be drastically different. More, of course, but not like it would take much more from what I noted. Two firsts would get it done. 1/2 this year probably would as well depending on where they finish. I think 1/3 and one of the prospects not named Morin, Laughton, or Hagg could potentially do it.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
In a strong draft year you may be right. Last year, I was right there with you laughing at the trades proposed to get into the top three or four. But this year, the class seems to be a lot weaker.

Look at some of the past draft day trades in the top 5:

2002 - #4 overall for two second rounders and Ruslan Fedotenko
2003 - #1 and #73 overall to PIT for #3 and #55 overall. Less of a drop but still trading back.
2004 - #8 and #59 for #4
2008 - 1st (7th overall)/2nd/3rd for #5 overall

None of those are really insane overpayments. Granted besides the 2002 trade, none are as big a jump from lets say 10 to 2, but I'm not so sure the deals would be drastically different. More, of course, but not like it would take much more from what I noted. Two firsts would get it done. 1/2 this year probably would as well depending on where they finish. I think 1/3 and one of the prospects not named Morin, Laughton, or Hagg could potentially do it.

See I think the weak draft is what makes it harder to get from 10 to 2. Ekblad would be a top 5 pick in pretty much any draft. It's not the first couple picks this year that are weak, it's the depth of the draft. A player taken at #10 this year may have been a late first rounder in last years draft class.

Moving from 10 to 2 in the years draft is different from the examples you gave. Ekblad is the clear #1 defenseman in the draft and anyone looking to grab a defenseman would have their eye on him.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
defense is not the problem right now. It might not be great, but the Flyers need a legit top line winger first before any big name defenseman

The lack of skating and quality puck movement from the defense is the main problem with this team, and it will be even worse next year once Kimmo has retired.

Coburn-Grossmann
Streit-Schenn
Gustaffson-Alt/Lauridsen

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
See I think the weak draft is what makes it harder to get from 10 to 2. Ekblad would be a top 5 pick in pretty much any draft. It's not the first couple picks this year that are weak, it's the depth of the draft. A player taken at #10 this year may have been a late first rounder in last years draft class.

Moving from 10 to 2 in the years draft is different from the examples you gave. Ekblad is the clear #1 defenseman in the draft and anyone looking to grab a defenseman would have their eye on him.

That's all true, but I still don't think the difference is going to be that much. If 1/3 and a second tier prospect doesn't get it done, what do you think gets it done? 1/2 and second tier prospect? Two firsts and a second tier prospect? Just two firsts? 1/3 or 1/2 and one of our better guys like Morin, Hagg, or Laughton? More than that?

1/3 and a second tier guy may be a little low, I'll give you that, but I don't think it would take much more. Two firsts I think would definitely get it done. 1/2 is probably about the same value as 1/3 and a second tier guy.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I doubt this team will be content with that 3rd pairing. I see a move.

None of the pairings are great, but that's what we're left with if Kimmo retires. That's why signing or trading for another defenseman is the number one priority.

I also think Ehrhoff would be good fit. All of his cap recapture penalties would be borne by the Sabres if he retires early.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
That's all true, but I still don't think the difference is going to be that much. If 1/3 and a second tier prospect doesn't get it done, what do you think gets it done? 1/2 and second tier prospect? Two firsts and a second tier prospect? Just two firsts? 1/3 or 1/2 and one of our better guys like Morin, Hagg, or Laughton? More than that?

1/3 and a second tier guy may be a little low, I'll give you that, but I don't think it would take much more. Two firsts I think would definitely get it done. 1/2 is probably about the same value as 1/3 and a second tier guy.

For Ekblad, I would trade this year and next years first (assuming this year is around 15th). That's just me though. If he could have been drafted last year he would have likely been the second defenseman taken after Jones.

Willis88

Oct 5, 2011
Philadelphia
Every proposal i've seen in this thread is absolutely terrible for the other teams haha. a 1st, mez, morin, and hagg for Weber? that's terrible for NSH. Need to be more realistic. Teams are going to want proven roster players, not our unproven prospects...

I don't think Weber is traded anytime soon...

I'd package the Schenn brothers for a defenseman if theres any takers for that. Laughton will be on the team next season and can replace Brayden.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
None of the pairings are great, but that's what we're left with if Kimmo retires. That's why signing or trading for another defenseman is the number one priority.

I also think Ehrhoff would be good fit. All of his cap recapture penalties would be borne by the Sabres if he retires early.

Ehrhoff would be good, but he still has a long time left on his contract (7 years / $22 million remaining). I suppose he could be had at a lower rate if the Flyers take on 100% of his contract.

Another name I'd like to see them look at is Nikita Nikitin in Columbus. He's going to be a UFA after the season is over, and if Columbus is out of contention, maybe he could be had for a decent price as well.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Ehrhoff would be good, but he still has a long time left on his contract (7 years / $22 million remaining). I suppose he could be had at a lower rate if the Flyers take on 100% of his contract.

I'd take Ehrhoff on that deal if he could be had for cheap. $4 million a year is a good and fair price for Ehrhoff for the next 4-5 years. The remaining 2-3 may or may not be depending on how he ages and depending on what the cap does. I would not trade too much for him unless they were going to eat a significant portion of the salary. That being said, I don't think they trade him.

Another name I'd like to see them look at is Nikita Nikitin in Columbus. He's going to be a UFA after the season is over, and if Columbus is out of contention, maybe he could be had for a decent price as well.

I'm with you on that one, but I know Jody Shelley was on NHL Network Radio the other day talking about how much the organization loves him (in a context unrelated to trading or signing him) so I am doubtful that they would deal him.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

I do think Ehrhoff is maybe my 'favourite' realistic option:

UFA's

Girardi
Boyle
Markov
Pitkanen
Niskanen
Nikitin
Timonen
MacDonald
Russell
Gilbert
Diaz

They are the UFAs who can maybe feasibly play a top 4 role with 20+ minutes.(though for some that is very tenable.)

Most of them are old, injury questions, have glaring weaknesses or are likely to be resigned.

There are some good RFA's, but it is almost impossible to speculate on them at this time.

Nikitin has been awful this year from what I have seen... he is getting the Luke Schenn treatment by Columbus, used sparingly and sheltered. But he has shown in the past he can be pretty good...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad