GDT: 2 A Days: Preds Training Camp

bishop12

Ovyously
Dec 1, 2006
Is there a chance Ellis a healthy scratch? Just reading those lines, sounds like he's almost the odd man out on that 3rd pair.

bishop12

Ovyously
Dec 1, 2006
I hope you're right, but he seems like he's being inserted in and out on that 3rd pairing...yikes.

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
well played glenn..

I admit I didn't see it coming but Im guessing that the thinking is when your have a center as a setup guy, and a sniper to take a lot of shots, for the other forward you want a guy who can clean up the rebounds not another sniper sitting out at the opposite circle getting pissed because the passes are all going to Neal...

I tend to agree with that assessment, but skating FF and Smith on opposite sides of the 2nd line kinda' does the same thing, doesn't it?

We desperately need Wilson to play a game like his body-type, not such a finesse game. and while I'm wishing, I wish Beck had better hands so he could be effective on that 3rd line.

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
Hopefully we'll waive back when Cullen is activated.

The fact of the matter is that it looks like Foppa Jr and Iron Hook are going back to Milwaukee once Fish and Cullen return.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Hopefully we'll waive back when Cullen is activated.

The fact of the matter is that it looks like Foppa Jr and Iron Hook are going back to Milwaukee once Fish and Cullen return.

IMO Beck will be the first sent down unless for some reason he just lights the world on fire, which I just do not see. The roster only has 22 active players on it right now with Cullen, Stalberg and Fisher on IR so when one comes back no one has to go, then when the 2nd comes back Beck goes. I would hope that Lavy would be able to convince Poile to keep the talent on the team vs keeping a player for waiver reasons.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I wouldn't bet on them waiving Beck though if they can help it. If he's claimed you've given up an asset to keep a 38 year old player one more year.

I would bet Beck gets waived at some point this season. I just do not see him playing here the entire year, he's just not good enough. Would it not be easier to pass him through now vs later in the year?

GeauxPreds

Jul 5, 2013
Isn't fisher expected to be out until January anyways? My guess is that one of their injuries is more long term than the other and perhaps they are trying to get beck some ice time to see if it can raise his stock any and trade him for something. I don't think they will waive him but I also have a feeling its gonna be difficult to send either forsberg or jarnkrok back down to milwaukee this season. Of course there could always be another injury that makes all of this moot.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Isn't fisher expected to be out until January anyways? My guess is that one of their injuries is more long term than the other and perhaps they are trying to get beck some ice time to see if it can raise his stock any and trade him for something. I don't think they will waive him but I also have a feeling its gonna be difficult to send either forsberg or jarnkrok back down to milwaukee this season. Of course there could always be another injury that makes all of this moot.

Fish was supposed to be out 4 months. But we all know what that means in Predspeak. Its doubtful hes back by Jan if at all. If it was a complete tear I doubt he plays another game, since he is rumored to retire.

As for Forsberg and Jarnkrok do not fool yourself they are rookies if they have a lapse in development and do not do well by December they will be in Milwaukee real fast. We all want them to tear it up but the chance they don't is greater than our hopes.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
So reading on Twitter,

Stu Grimson @asgrimson said:
Based on today's skate, possible lines vs #OTT: 57-63-18; 9-21-15; 33-13-19; 16-28-24.

Kristopher Martel @ThePredatorial said:
Practice Lines:
57-63-18
9-21-15
13/25-19-33
16-28-24

59-6
14-4
20-3

64 / 41

Translation of numbers:

Bourque 57 - Ribeiro 63 - Neal 18
Forsberg 9 - Roy 21 - Smith 15
Wilson 33 - Jokinen 13 - Jarnkrok 19
Clune 16 - Gaustad 28 - Nystrom 24

Josi 59 - Weber 6
Ekholm 14 - Ellis 4
Volchenkov 20 - Jones 3

Scratched
Bartley 64
Beck 41

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
This morning on the game Ribeiro talked about Bourque being on that line and said that Bourque's speed and forechecking ability really helped their line create more turnovers which should lead to scoring chances.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
My only complaint is Clune over Beck. Otherwise, I like that he's letting the kids play. Bourque is getting his shot, Forsberg and Smith are getting top 6 minutes with a playmaker, Jarnkrok and Wilson are top 9...I love it. Also a big fan of the D pairings.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
bourque has scored 20 goals in the last two years (108 games). of those 20 goals no less than 10 of them have been goals creditied to him that have been deflections off his body, not his stick but his body. used to laugh about that, wondering whether it was luck, but it does show his willingness to get to the front of the net. makes sense he plays that role with neal and ribeiro. that plus his aggressive forechecking (which honestly has been the strongest part of his game til now), mean i don't mind seeing him get this shot on that line.

from a pure offensive skill set, maybe forsberg makes more sense here, but the forechecking and willingness to head to the goal mouth just maybe bourque works better. we will see soon.

JR303

Feb 28, 2008
bourque has scored 20 goals in the last two years (108 games). of those 20 goals no less than 10 of them have been goals creditied to him that have been deflections off his body, not his stick but his body. used to laugh about that, wondering whether it was luck, but it does show his willingness to get to the front of the net. makes sense he plays that role with neal and ribeiro. that plus his aggressive forechecking (which honestly has been the strongest part of his game til now), mean i don't mind seeing him get this shot on that line.

from a pure offensive skill set, maybe forsberg makes more sense here, but the forechecking and willingness to head to the goal mouth just maybe bourque works better. we will see soon.

Also, to add, I've always thought that Bourque kinda had a knack for sliding up into the dead zone of the slot to get open. His wrist shot is not bad, either. But yeah, his speed and tenacity should open up the skill for the rest of the line.

RomanEmpire

Feb 26, 2013
Nashville, TN
To follow up on the first line chatter..

Bourque continued to participate with Nashville’s top line along with Neal and Ribeiro, a line he’s been participating on for nearly a week now. Laviolette has been keen on continuing the usage of Bourque in this role, as it gives both Neal and Ribeiro a “bull†on their line to help maintain puck possession.
“You talk to some guys that can make plays and some guys that can score goals. A lot of times they like a bull out there that can get in on the forecheck and create turnovers, a guy that is willing and able to get to the front of the net and cause some havoc. What it does is open up space and create some room for his linemates,†said Laviolette.
Understanding his role, Bourque knows what he’s being tasked with in terms of keeping Nashville’s top line in the offensive zone as much as possible.
“I just don’t have to change my game style, just go the same way I usually go. Don’t put any pressure on my game, just bring energy and bring the puck to [Neal and Ribeiro]. That’s what I’m going to try and do,†said Bourque. “My role is more to grind down low and try to grab the puck to give to them. We know they’re good with the puck, so the faster I get thepuck the better we are.â€

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I like Bourque, but when I first read that he's been on the first line, my immediate thought was "Gah, what a Trotz move". Some old habits die hard, but I guess it's slightly hypocritical of me at the same time since the new coach I like so much is doing something the old coach I was tiring of would do.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I like Bourque, but when I first read that he's been on the first line, my immediate thought was "Gah, what a Trotz move". Some old habits die hard, but I guess it's slightly hypocritical of me at the same time since the new coach I like so much is doing something the old coach I was tiring of would do.

Just wait til he starts mixing up lines throughout the game and throws Nystrom onto a top 6 line. :naughty: I get your thinking, but I'm sure you also recognize that such a move is hardly unique to just Trotz.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad