GDT: 2/9/23 - 7:00PM EDT - Colorado vs Tampa Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
When we lose its just a RS game and when we win its a statement game ok got it, last night they played a team tied for 8th in the WC, not anywhere near the favorite and nowhere near as strong as they were last season. Look at that lineup they iced last night again and say that's a "talented group", they have 2 good forwards and that's about it, it's not like they're coasting like TB does either, they are legitimately struggling in a weak conference.

This is like if Montreal bragged about beating a Tampa team post Gourde line departure while missing Stamkos and Hedman in 2022.
It's a big win more because we lost btb...but yeah...Colorado lost a lot...Qadri, burakovsky, landeskog and makar...but we needed it for us. Mentally. I'll take it but agree with your point.

Reactions: Pierre Larouche

SnakeIdol

Mar 3, 2018
I am going to hate to lose Hagel in a another year unless we can sign him again with this stagnant cap that again could be looming. Hagel is everything like Coleman and Goodrow.
UFA Stamkos gets a pay cut and RFA Hagel gets a pay raise. A few interesting RFA with similar numbers and draft position are due for deals this Summer including Ross Colton and Jesper Bratt. Bratt signed a one year arbitration filing for 5.45 million, but has a little more production that Hagel. Bratt was taken three picks after Hagel. If Colton and Hagel both don't take bridge deals, then the front office might have to choose between them.

Contract predictions.

Colton 2 x 3
Hagel 7 x 6.25

Reactions: Fan from AK

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
It's a big win more because we lost btb...but yeah...Colorado lost a lot...Qadri, burakovsky, landeskog and makar...but we needed it for us. Mentally. I'll take it but agree with your point.
I think it's pretty clear that we are better than we had any right to be with the players we lost. Still hard to believe we are as good as we were last year, but we could be better if we are lucky enough to stay (mostly) healthy in the playoffs. I don't think last night's game proved much, but it's good to see guys have big individual performances, if only to remind us they can still come through when it counts.

Honestly I'm starting to feel like Killorn might be one of the biggest positives. If he doesn't go ice cold like he did last year, well, it could feel like adding an impact player to last year's roster. I don't remember him ever having hands/vision like he's shown over the past few months. Seems faster, with better hands, and better vision, thus all the Forsberg jokes, but to me he looks legitimately like a player who's still getting better.

And it all started when Kucherov complained about "someone" in the Russian media...

Reactions: Byrddog

bigdaddio

Jan 22, 2019
I think it's pretty clear that we are better than we had any right to be with the players we lost. Still hard to believe we are as good as we were last year, but we could be better if we are lucky enough to stay (mostly) healthy in the playoffs. I don't think last night's game proved much, but it's good to see guys have big individual performances, if only to remind us they can still come through when it counts.

Honestly I'm starting to feel like Killorn might be one of the biggest positives. If he doesn't go ice cold like he did last year, well, it could feel like adding an impact player to last year's roster. I don't remember him ever having hands/vision like he's shown over the past few months. Seems faster, with better hands, and better vision, thus all the Forsberg jokes, but to me he looks legitimately like a player who's still getting better.

And it all started when Kucherov complained about "someone" in the Russian media...

If we can figure out too frequent breakdowns on defense we may make another run. Not sure it's talent just breakdowns. Even Foote had a good game last night. All we need is our D to not do dumb things. Serg and Hedman can provide the extra juice. Everybody else be like Perbix and Cerny. Check guys. Don't panic. Don't get out of position.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If we can figure out too frequent breakdowns on defense we may make another run. Not sure it's talent just breakdowns. Even Foote had a good game last night. All we need is our D to not do dumb things. Serg and Hedman can provide the extra juice. Everybody else be like Perbix and Cerny. Check guys. Don't panic. Don't get out of position.
We are always a little shaky on that front in the regular season. In the playoffs it's kind of more about discipline and patience, and it's the main way we win.

I do worry about all the shot-blocking on a team less talented than we were when we won the two cups. It broke us down over time last year.

Reactions: LightningStrikes

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
We are always a little shaky on that front in the regular season. In the playoffs it's kind of more about discipline and patience, and it's the main way we win.

I do worry about all the shot-blocking on a team less talented than we were when we won the two cups. It broke us down over time last year.
What you point out is correct but I fear the ability of the blue liners is below what we have enjoyed over the last three seasons.

A large portion of blocked shots come from players being out of position. Sure there are blocks in front of the net used in scrambling situations mostly. But when guys go sliding to block shots the have been out of position usually a gap problem. Now there are some like Mac who routinely blocks shots with his body, he also spends a lot of time on the IR for that reason. Heddy does not use his body as a rubber stopper much. Chernak does and has injury issues . Foote is going to be the same way but it’s his positioning that hurts him.

Now does D step up in post season sure does and the guys will sacrifice there body more often.
This defense is concerning even if the step it up post season a couple injuries will be a big problem. They have not been great in support of Vasi this year and losing Drago, Bogo, Heddy post season could put the team out. Perb has been great but has not played in the post season. The rest are hot and cold.

Reactions: DFC

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
When we lose its just a RS game and when we win its a statement game ok got it, last night they played a team tied for 8th in the WC, not anywhere near the favorite and nowhere near as strong as they were last season. Look at that lineup they iced last night again and say that's a "talented group", they have 2 good forwards and that's about it, it's not like they're coasting like TB does either, they are legitimately struggling in a weak conference.

This is like if Montreal bragged about beating a Tampa team post Gourde line departure while missing Stamkos and Hedman in 2022.
You crack me up and miss the point. The Lightning are capable of a higher level when it matters and when motivated. And their track record backs this up. But go on with your negative Nelly attitude and enjoy.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Killorn was an absolute beast in the 2021 run until be broke his leg but yes as long as Hagel doesn't turn back into last year's version and He doesn't have to play with Cirelli I think he'll be fine, short term memory I guess but Killorn has always been one of Tampas guys who step up in the playoffs.

You crack me up and miss the point. The Lightning are capable of a higher level when it matters and when motivated. And their track record backs this up. But go on with your negative Nelly attitude and enjoy.

Oh sorry I guess you needed to see a regular season win against and struggling and injured team to confirm that the Lightning are indeed a good team, congrats...? The 2 cups and 3 finals don't say enough but beating Colorado in game 50 oh ya that'll show everyone.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Killorn was an absolute beast in the 2021 run until be broke his leg but yes as long as Hagel doesn't turn back into last year's version and He doesn't have to play with Cirelli I think he'll be fine, short term memory I guess but Killorn has always been one of Tampas guys who step up in the playoffs.

Oh sorry I guess you needed to see a regular season win against and struggling and injured team to confirm that the Lightning are indeed a good team, congrats...? The 2 cups and 3 finals don't say enough but beating Colorado in game 50 oh ya that'll show everyone.
The win was not all encompassing but it did provide Vasi his first shootout of the year. That’s the most positive from the game. Vasi builds on games like that.

Now as to comparing this team to the last three it is clear this team is not as complete. My biggest concern is if there is another gear for the defense come playoff time. I’m not convinced there is. Regular season scoring is below the last three seasons as well. The big three continue to score at expected levels but down the lineup and on the blue line scoring is down. I do not expect GA to be less than the last three runs so scoring must somehow get better. The road to home ice now is uphill, it is pretty much settled that it will be Toronto in that first round without home ice it could end up a first round exit. It has been 18 years since the Leafs have went past the 1st round. If they get goaltending with home ice we may be golfing early.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
The win was not all encompassing but it did provide Vasi his first shootout of the year. That’s the most positive from the game. Vasi builds on games like that.

Now as to comparing this team to the last three it is clear this team is not as complete. My biggest concern is if there is another gear for the defense come playoff time. I’m not convinced there is. Regular season scoring is below the last three seasons as well. The big three continue to score at expected levels but down the lineup and on the blue line scoring is down. I do not expect GA to be less than the last three runs so scoring must somehow get better. The road to home ice now is uphill, it is pretty much settled that it will be Toronto in that first round without home ice it could end up a first round exit. It has been 18 years since the Leafs have went past the 1st round. If they get goaltending with home ice we may be golfing early.

Their goal scoring is not an issue at all. They have a higher gf/g right now than any of the last three year's teams finished at with a current 3.59 goals per game average, which is good for 4th overall. The last 3 years were 3.47, 3.21 and 3.48. Not sure where this goal production is down compared to the last 3 years basis is coming from, but the stats say otherwise.

Tampa is also two points behind Toronto with a game in hand(as of this morning), and they won 3 series without home ice advantage last year, so doom and gloom talk about home ice or not likely isn't something the team is overly concerned over.

Reactions: The Macho King

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016

Remind the rest of the NHL, that was the post. Do you have trouble reading or just like to take peoples words out of context?

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Remind the rest of the NHL, that was the post. Do you have trouble reading or just like to take peoples words out of context?

Oh yeah the rest of the NHL forgot the Lightning were good, yup. Good reminder game for sure.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Oh yeah the rest of the NHL forgot the Lightning were good, yup. Good reminder game for sure.
This was your original snarky response to my post

By beating an injured team that sits tied 8th in a weak western conference? Lol

We rocked the same lineup that got blasted 7-1 by the Panthers 4 days ago.

All your responses since have focused on the first sentence. What’s the point of the second line? That we rocked the same lineup? Which even even true, but whatever. What is your point besides just being ornery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad