GDT: 2/5/13 "Winterpeg, Manisnowba" - Panthers VS Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
He made like two good saves. I agree it takes time to get into the swing of things, but that doesn't mean he was good tonight.

He was good. He made more than two good saves. The Jets had some quality scoring chances and he put us in a position to win this game. That's all you can ask for your backup goalie.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Didn't see the game but I see Clem had some softies slide in past him. I was really hoping to see Hubbs, Kovalev and Mueller in the SO. We got a point though and our favourite way to lose is definitely in OT or SO.

Play Theo against Philly, scratch Clem with a day-to-day injury against the Caps and give Markstrom the nod against the deflated Capitals. PLLLLLLEEEEAAAAAASSSSSE DALE AND DINEEN, PLEASE!!

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
I'm actually not anti-Clemmer like AG, etc., but he was not good tonight. I would say, to be fair, that only one goal was his fault, but he did not look good at all even stopping pucks.

Allowing only 21 shots with him in net should qualify as a great defensive game considering the rebounds he was giving up.

I'm on record thinking he's a lousy goalie no question.

First 2 goals were stoppable by a better goalie.

To be fair he also made some nice saves, and i Commented accordingly.

Team played a heckuva game in front of him, the effort and point should be applauded.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Didn't see the game but I see Clem had some softies slide in past him. I was really hoping to see Hubbs, Kovalev and Mueller in the SO. We got a point though and our favourite way to lose is definitely in OT or SO.

Play Theo against Philly, scratch Clem against the Caps and give Markstrom the nod against the deflated Capitals. PLLLLLLEEEEAAAAAASSSSSE DALE PLEASE!!

Goaltending isn't the issue. Markstrom needs to keep developing in the AHL. It's sloppy play, being too cute with the puck, and poor decision making that is costing us goals against.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
I'm on record thinking he's a lousy goalie no question.

First 2 goals were stoppable by a better goalie.

To be fair he also made some nice saves, and i Commented accordingly.

Team played a heckuva game in front of him, the effort and point should be applauded.

You can't blame goalies for shots from the point they can't see. If you expect him to stop that, you have completely unreasonable standards. Ellerby and Ladd were blocking his view. That's on Ellerby and possibly Kuba for not moving Ladd out of the way.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
You can't blame him on the second goal, nor can you tell him to cover his five hole if he cant see it. He did nothing wrong on the last goal. It was a great shot from in close. Most goalies don't stop that. You guys just love to hate him. He won crucial games for us last year and he had good numbers for a backup.

of course i can blame him on the second shot. first, it didn't appear to be a hard shot and second, his stick should be on the ice to cover that up.

on the second, like i said, i wouldn't fault him much, but i'm not the only one who thought he wasn't ready fast enough. i actually watched the winnepeg broadcast when for a replay and they said the same thing.

i don't get why you keep defending him when we have a perfectly good goalie who we can bring up to replace him right now. it is hard to argue that clemm gives us a better chance to win than markstrom.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Goaltending isn't the issue. Markstrom needs to keep developing in the AHL. It's sloppy play, being too cute with the puck, and poor decision making that is costing us goals against.

I more just want to see Markstrom play and besides the Capitals are playing horribly. We are playing the way we need to these last 3 games if we want to defend the Southeast title. Night my fellow Panthers.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
You can't blame goalies for shots from the point they can't see. If you expect him to stop that, you have completely unreasonable standards.

I'm not sure he was screened, why are you? And a ready position unscreened has more 5 hole coverage.

That's the basis of my opinion.

Feel free to disagree RR.

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
This wasn't the best of games, but defensive mistakes by guys like Kuba and Ellerby hurt us badly. Clemmensen wasn't horrible, but also not great. It wasn't the effort that we should have had and I think if Guds was in the lineup, things might have gone a bit differently.

Really sucks that we almost killed off that PK and we get the loss. Kuba can't be taking ridiculous penalties at times like that. Just another game to move on from, put Theodore back in net in Philly, and with Guds back, please scratch Kuba or Ellerby.

At least we're reminded more and more how awesome Shore and Huberdeau are on that line. Shore's play up ice on that first goal was freaking sick.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
You can't blame goalies for shots from the point they can't see. If you expect him to stop that, you have completely unreasonable standards.

you can't blame goalies for those shots they can't see if they go high or to the sides, but this was a dead center shot through the five hole which should be covered up, those should be stopped. this isn't the first time its been a problem with him.

RECsGuy*

Seriously, is Ag925 Luongo himself?

Goaltending played a big role in Florida qualifying for the 2012 playoffs. Now, goaltending is what's holding the Panthers back.

*puts microphone in your face*

Comment?

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Hey there. Pretty good defensive game there, if a little boring to watch. Clemmenson could have had the first and 3rd goals, but I'll take them. Very solid in front of him, though. And yes, it's very snowy in Manitoba right now.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
You can't blame Clemmer for the first goal, it was deflected off Ellerby's stick and changed direction. I won't even blame him for the third goal, you can't let the opposing team shoot from there and expect your goalie to stop it. He still hasn't been good this season, but they didn't lose this game because of Clemmer.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
of course i can blame him on the second shot. first, it didn't appear to be a hard shot and second, his stick should be on the ice to cover that up.

on the second, like i said, i wouldn't fault him much, but i'm not the only one who thought he wasn't ready fast enough. i actually watched the winnepeg broadcast when for a replay and they said the same thing.

i don't get why you keep defending him when we have a perfectly good goalie who we can bring up to replace him right now. it is hard to argue that clemm gives us a better chance to win than markstrom.

I just rewatched the goal and I must say, he was square to the point before the puck was even shot. As I pointed out above, Ellerby is screening his own goalie and then Ladd slides in behind Ellerby, this is all while Clemmer is square to the shooter before the shot is taken. Then the shot is taken. You can't just "close your five hole" and not give up other space in the net. You're complaining to complain because nothing you said is accurate or fair. I watched the replay of the winnipeg broadcast and they didn't say that.

We're developing Markstrom properly like we did with Drew Shore. We don't have an issue in net. I want to see Markstrom as much as everyone else but the issue isn't goaltending.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Goaltending played a big role in Florida qualifying for the 2012 playoffs. Now, goaltending is what's holding the Panthers back.

Comment?

Theodore has been good. Injuries, mental mistakes, and an old slow defense is what's held the Panthers back.

Besides, we aren't going to trade for Luongo this season. He's been excellent for the Canucks, it would take a big haul to get him now. Tallon isn't going to blow the future for him.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Jan 19, 2006
I was expecting an OTL/SOL tonight and got one. These guys have become easy to predict over the years.

Next game at Philly is murky to me... it's a critical one to determine what the trajectory of this team is. A few years ago a game like that (a game at a critical juncture to build momentum) was definite loss. Now, could go either way.

FWIW, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw more of Markstrom after this game. Santos was blunt that he would get some playing time this year, and the team has already sent a one way player down to the AHL.... one who makes more than Clemmensen.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008

Don't you guys realize that goaltending isn't an issue and even more importantly we need to be patient and let our players develop properly like we did with Shore?????? We can't have Markstrom out there getting shelled because our D is sloppy and our players make terrible decisions.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
I was expecting an OTL/SOL tonight and got one. These guys have become easy to predict over the years.

Next game at Philly is murky to me... it's a critical one to determine what the trajectory of this team is. A few years ago a game like that (a game at a critical juncture to build momentum) was definite loss. Now, could go either way.

FWIW, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw more of Markstrom after this game. Santos was blunt that he would get some playing time this year, and the team has already sent a one way player down to the AHL.... one who makes more than Clemmensen.

Who knows what you get with Philly. They're very inconsistent and missing Simmonds and Hartnell. The outcome of that game is impossible to predict.

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
Besides that pass right into the middle of the slot, I thought Weaver played a great game. He was pretty physical tonight.

I'd much rather scratch Kuba for Guds on Thursday but most likely it will be Strachan. No offense, but I don't miss Jovo at all. If he retires after the season, great.

-ghoste

Erick*

Comment?

But...but...we have the same goaltenders we had last year.

We're not giving up prospects for Luongo. There's no point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad