Proposal: 2/3/4 Defenseman to EDM

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Just spitballing the type of names. Not trying to find common ground.

I think he was talking about something around a signed RNH+picks or prospects for Suter (+?).

Oh, gotcha.

I...really don't think trading good assets for a 36 year old is the direction this club should be taking, but who knows. Our dinosaur GM and dinosaur coach might think differently.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Oh, gotcha.

I...really don't think trading good assets for a 36 year old is the direction this club should be taking, but who knows. Our dinosaur GM and dinosaur coach might think differently.

I don't disagree, but you need to do something and you don't have a ton of flexibility. Suter isn't the answer though. He's also not going to waive, so it's kinda moot.

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
I doubt he is available or we agree on value,

but on the outside chance that in addition to the incredibly instant emergence of K'A Miller Hajek continued to bloom and we got good enuf at min from Reunanen/Robertson/Jones,

what would your offer be for Lindgren?

We are very pleased with him and Fox, plus he is exiting elc and still cost controlled.

Not the kind of guy who commands massive overpayment, obv, but Rangers need a signif reason to go there...

edit add
ps looking for futures, no vets

Stop!

Rangers are not dealing Lindgren. He's the perfect complement to Fox.

He's also one of the few sandpaper guys the Rangers have.

Rangers top 4 are set and cemented for the long term until Nils or Schneider bust into it.

Play with the rest of the prospects Bern lol. Leave the top 4 of Fox, Miller, Lindgren, and Trouba (can't with him anyway) alone.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
RNH doesn't have any trade protection.

But that being said, if he's resigning, 1) we're going to keep him and 2) he won't be available for picks and prospects.

If he won't sign, the offer would need to start with a first and then more from there, I would think. I do see you have two firsts, which is interesting.

I was talking about suter having trade protection :laugh: He was offering RNH and picks or prospects for suter

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I was talking about suter having trade protection :laugh: He was offering RNH and picks or prospects for suter

You...didn't make that clear haha.

It's less crazy than Suter++ for Draisaitl, I guess. That's REAL crazy. "you just plain do not have a package we'd accept for Draisaitl" crazy.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
You...didn't make that clear haha.

It's less crazy than Suter++ for Draisaitl, I guess. That's REAL crazy. "you just plain do not have a package we'd accept for Draisaitl" crazy.

I wasnt saying the Drai package to actually make that deal, Just to prove you guys are gonna probably need to pay a lil more than you want for him kinda thing. Hes no slouch, still very good.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Just spitballing the type of names. Not trying to find common ground.

I think he was talking about something around a signed RNH+picks or prospects for Suter (+?).

I don't disagree, but you need to do something and you don't have a ton of flexibility. Suter isn't the answer though. He's also not going to waive, so it's kinda moot.

You are correct in your assessment of my post.

I don't think Suter is the answer either, but I'm on a mission to flush out any and all potential top 4 defensemen and what it might cost Edmonton. I've had his name in my head for a bit but never mentioned it, likely because I knew how it would go, lol.

Given that you guys say he hasn't really declined at all, my hope of making a deal work with retention obviously is a no-go.

Never hurts to have a discussion though!

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I wasnt saying the Drai package to actually make that deal, Just to prove you guys are gonna probably need to pay a lil more than you want for him kinda thing. Hes no slouch, still very good.

That was a horrible way to make your point. You really missed the mark on that one.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

why do people think that's how it works?

Edmonton could just as easily say "you're going to have to pay a lot more than you want for him" when you drop Leon's name.

If every trade was based on "well we know you have this hole to fill so you're going to have to overpay with your Hart trophy winner" trade deadline day would be a boring-ass day indeed.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Oh, gotcha.

Yeah don't mind me, I'm just sniffing out any and all possibilities for my own curiosity. I pretty much agree with your assessment and am inclined to stick to the ever present "Patience Approach" us Oiler fans are used to.

Reactions: ChaoticOrange

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Yeah don't mind me, I'm just sniffing out any and all possibilities for my own curiosity. I pretty much agree with your assessment and am inclined to stick to the ever present "Patience Approach" us Oiler fans are used to.

Trust me I don't like it either but if we dealt RNH+ for a 36 year old Ryan Suter I would have seeeeeerious complaints, haha.

If we dealt Leon f***ing Draisaitl for a 36 year old Ryan Suter and Marco Rossi, I would burn every piece of Oiler merchandise I have and protest in front of Rogers Place daily until everyone in a decision-making capacity in that organization was fired.

Last edited:
Reactions: GOilers88

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
That was a horrible way to make your point. You really missed the mark on that one.

Did i though? Because the response after reading was an offering of RNH extended and picks or prospects, which is pretty much aligning to how i valued him in that proposal. So if i missed that much youre saying that RNH + (the picks or prospects offered) + rossi + MIN 2nd isnt even close to leon. Which has quite a bit of value.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Did i though? Because the response after reading was an offering of RNH extended and picks or prospects, which is pretty much aligning to how i valued him in that proposal. So if i missed that much youre saying that RNH + (the picks or prospects offered) + rossi + MIN 2nd isnt even close to leon. Which has quite a bit of value.

Yeah, a better way of stating that would have been to say "it would take RNH + picks/prospects to get Suter" rather than "Suter+Rossi for Draisaitl is what it would take"

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Stop!

Rangers are not dealing Lindgren. He's the perfect complement to Fox.

He's also one of the few sandpaper guys the Rangers have.

Rangers top 4 are set and cemented for the long term until Nils or Schneider bust into it.

Play with the rest of the prospects Bern lol. Leave the top 4 of Fox, Miller, Lindgren, and Trouba (can't with him anyway) alone.

fair enuf, but recognize I wanted to see if they valued Lindy enough to overpay.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
Yeah, a better way of stating that would have been to say "it would take RNH + picks/prospects to get Suter" rather than "Suter+Rossi for Draisaitl is what it would take"

Well i wasnt specifically asking for that, thats why i said it would cost them something "like" what i wrote. so they could gauge the value we put on suter. Not specifically asking for that.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Well i wasnt specifically asking for that, thats why i said it would cost them something "like" what i wrote. so they could gauge the value we put on suter. Not specifically asking for that.

Yeah... ok, buddy.

You've been around here since 2009. You know well enough that asking hyperbole to "make your point" is a great way to entirely derail a thread. (and "something like Draisaitl" is huge f'n hyperbole for all but a half-dozen players in the league)

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
Yeah... ok, buddy.

You've been around here since 2009. You know well enough that asking hyperbole to "make your point" is a great way to entirely derail a thread. (and "something like Draisaitl" is huge f'n hyperbole for all but a half-dozen players in the league)

in my defense, the OP derailed your own thread asking for a top 4 D knowing full well you arent willing to part with 99% of the items youd have to trade to acquire said player.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
in my defense, the OP derailed your own thread asking for a top 4 D knowing full well you arent willing to part with 99% of the items youd have to trade to acquire said player.

More hyperbole. "not willing to trade 99% of the items required for a top 4 D". Really? Really?!?

I read: "Consider everyone and everything on the table outside of McDavid and Draisaitl. Bouchard being the only other iffy one for me this far, but hey you gotta at least be willing to listen"

So being objective, can a top 4D be acquired through trade if one is open to offering:
A 60-70 point C/LW?
An energy bug winger who scored 0.96ppg in his first full NHL season
A 1st this year
A 1st next year
Any number of other picks
A D+2 top 10 pick who has trended well since draft playing against men
A D+1 top 15 pick who is destroying in college
A collection of #3/4/5 D who could lessen the loss of the better top 4D being exchanged

So tell me again... if all of that is on the table (and more), how is it that 99% of what would be required is not available?

Any 4 of those assets could be used for a prime aged #1D if one were available. It's happened multiple times before.
Any 2-3 of those assets, depending on the particulars, could be used for a prime aged #2D if one were available. It's happened multiple times before.
Any 2 of those assets could be used for an established middle pairing D under contract. It's happened so many times before.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
If the Wild are trading Suter to Edmonton I’d like to see Holloway as part of the deal more than Broberg. Minnesota needs to stack on quality center prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad