Proposal: 2/3/4 Defenseman to EDM

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I realise that's a pretty broad spectrum. Basically wondering if there's any legit, 2nd pairing at worst defensive minded guys that might be attainable for the Oilers.

Josh Manson
Brett Pesce
David Savard
Matthias Ekholm

Would a guy like Sergachev be possible if 1sts and blue chips are on the table?

Anything really top tier possible in someone like Hampus Lindholm?

Just wondering what's out there and what the cost would be.

Consider everyone and everything on the table outside of McDavid and Draisaitl. Bouchard being the only other iffy one for me this far, but hey you gotta at least be willing to listen. Personally I just want proven talent with no ifs attached.

Last edited:

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Manson would prob be available when he returns from injury.

I really can’t see us moving lindholm.... and if we did, oilers fans would not like what they gave up

why don’t we make it more interesting

rakell + Manson for?

oilers get a mean, defensive minded top 4 dmen and add a versatile cheap winger that would help boost your forward core

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Manson would prob be available when he returns from injury.

I really can’t see us moving lindholm.... and if we did, oilers fans would not like what they gave up
Humor me.

1st + Broberg + Holloway + Benson + Cap purposes for Lindholm + Rakell?

Add more picks from Edmonton?

Manson + Rakell for 1st + Samorukov + Benson +?

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Humor me.

1st + Broberg + Holloway + Benson + Cap purposes for Lindholm + Rakell?

Add more picks from Edmonton?
Oh I had edited post to make it
Rakell + Manson.

a lot depends on what cap dumps, as that significantly changes value

but ya breaking that down it’s like
1st + broberg for lindholm
Holloway +Bensen for Rakell

And we’re just accepting cap dumps for free, could argue Edmonton is winning both break downs(pending your feelings on Holloway and broberg)

Reactions: GOilers88

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Rakell + Manson.

And we’re just accepting cap dumps for free, could argue Edmonton is winning both break downs(pending your feelings on Holloway and broberg)

I think Manson (or Lindholm) + Rakell should be a really interesting package for EDM and I definitely think that 1 st + Benson + Bouchard + Neal could close the deal, but I know for a fact that a lot of EDM fans are against trading the 1st and Bouchard, given the recent team performances, which I can understand.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Rakell + Manson.

I think a guy like Lindholm is highly unlikely, but it never hurts to try lol.

I forgot Manson was out right now. I'd like a deal around him and Rakell as well and it would probably be easier to work something out. But I'd rather then swap out Broberg for Samorukov.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Edmonton doesn't have anything that is of interest in a Brett Pesce deal

Haydn Fleury or Jake Bean would be available for a comparable prospect.

LiffLaff

Crazy? Me?
Feb 22, 2010
Vardal
With the emergence of P.O Joseph, I could see one of Dumolin or Petterson beeing made available when they are healthy, unless ofcourse, you want Matheson? :laugh:

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
OP is looking for a guy ready for top 4 right now, not a 6/7 with upside.

Fleury has played 2nd-pair minutes extensively in his career and has played above expectations. He's a 3/4 quality D, not a 6/7. He also plays both sides. He is definitely part of the Canes embarrassment of riches on defense.

The fact Fleury's on the 3rd pair is more about providing a primarily-defensive stay-home partner to cover for Gardiner and give him the space and freedom to use his speed and offensive skill.

But...if you'd prefer, make an offer on Skjei.

Reactions: Oilsauce

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Fleury has played 2nd-pair minutes extensively in his career and has played above expectations. He's a 3/4 quality D, not a 6/7. He also plays both sides. He is definitely part of the Canes embarrassment of riches on defense.

The fact Fleury's on the 3rd pair is more about providing a primarily-defensive stay-home partner to cover for Gardiner and give him the space and freedom to use his speed and offensive skill.

But...if you'd prefer, make an offer on Skjei.

the guy played 13:40 a game last year. 12 minutes the year before that. Shy of 16 this year. That’s going from heavily sheltered bottom pairing to less sheltered bottom pairing. You guys have some strange definitions of “top 3/4” down there. If you’re expecting anyone to value him as a current top 4, it ain’t happening.

Reactions: ivanlwan and voxel

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Edmonton doesn't have anything that is of interest in a Brett Pesce deal

Haydn Fleury or Jake Bean would be available for a comparable prospect.

The problem is... the Oilers have WAY too many D prospects so they don't need more. Bear, Jones, Lagesson, Samorukov, Broberg, Bouchard are all pro. None of those two of are interest.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
If Nashville puts Ekholm on the the block I think the ask would be a 1st + a prospect/young player.

This is more or less what Edmonton is looking for. A Klefbom replacement. Unsure what 1st or what prospect would close the deal though.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The problem is... the Oilers have WAY too many D prospects so they don't need more. Bear, Jones, Lagesson, Samorukov, Broberg, Bouchard are all pro. None of those two of are interest.
That Jones, Lagesson, Russell and Koekkoek all haven't grabbed a hold of a vacant second pairing LD role. That is a gigantic problem for our 'prospect' Caleb Jones, who is likely playing his last games in Edmonton this season. I wouldn't be surprised to see him moved to upgrade our goaltending.

I think Jake Bean is a player who makes a lot of sense as a player who moves the puck well and has a lot of experience playing big minutes as a pro so far. He's better than any one of the four I mentioned and he's ready to play unlike the other two you mentioned.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
What side are you looking for LD or RD?
I realise that's a pretty broad spectrum. Basically wondering if there's any legit, 2nd pairing at worst defensive minded guys that might be attainable for the Oilers.

Josh Manson
Brett Pesce
David Savard
Matthias Ekholm

Would a guy like Sergachev be possible if 1sts and blue chips are on the table?

Anything really top tier possible in someone like Hampus Lindholm?

Just wondering what's out there and what the cost would be.

Consider everyone and everything on the table outside of McDavid and Draisaitl. Bouchard being the only other iffy one for me this far, but hey you gotta at least be willing to listen.

What side is your preference? LD or RD

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Oiler fans: “We won’t accept Fleury because we don’t want prospects. We need guys who’ve played.

Also Oiler fans: “Jake Bean seems like a good fit.”
We don't necessarily need guys who've played. We need a guy who'll thrive with the opportunity. Can Jake Bean look good in a role next to Adam Larsson playing some difficult defensive assignments? Then he'd be a reasonably solid upgrade on the Koekkoek, Jones, Russell, Lagesson options we've been running so far.

What side are you looking for LD or RD?

What side is your preference? LD or RD
We need a second pairing left handed defenseman.

Nurse - Barrie
XXXXX - Bear
Lagesson - Larsson
Koekkoek/Russell/Jones - Bouchard

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad