GDT: 2/28/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Not really maybe Colombus catches them but most other teams are far enough back and they aren't playing that badly, St. Louis for example seems more likely to drop below them than teams jumping ahead of them.

St. Louis won today. Calgary didn't.

We're not going to convince each other, but ultimately, in my opinion, it's a failure on Treliving's part that he didn't put a condition on that first rounder.

Reactions: Devonator

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
?

The Jets had much better odds and jumped to second not 1st.

Should I post pictures of all the guys that stayed where they were and picked duds?

Does the trade not look as bad if you give the Isles Svechnikov, or even Zadina, instead of Dahlin?

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Does the trade not look as bad if you give the Isles Svechnikov, or even Zadina, instead of Dahlin?

Well considering we really didn't give them either of those guys it was the randomness of the lottery balls than for me no it really doesn't.

Just like it doesn't look bad if I trade you a 4th round pick and that guy turns out to be great. If the Flames had finished 2nd or 3rd on merit and the pick was right there sure but I am not sure the randomness that would have to happen to get the pick up to that high would make it that bad.

Also there is still what 15-20 games left as well as a draft lottery so my point about it being talked about now seems to be a bit of an overreaction and hot take-y in my view. We don't even know if the Flames are going to be in the lottery, let alone if the 2% chance that their pick would win the lottery. so getting worked up about something that likely turns out to be nothing is a little silly.

Why don't we wait until we see where they end up at least. There will be plenty of time between then and the lottery to get worked up about the 2% chance then.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
:dunno: Ottawa didn't expect to hand us a pick higher than 20 in the duchene trade, it'll still look horrible for them if it happens.

and it's a 7.2% chance of being a lottery pick atm, which isn't big, but isn't neglible either.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
Great for them.

As I said should I post all the picks of guys who were drafted with picks that went where they were supposed to go?

By all means? Fact is that the Islanders have 3 cracks at a Top-3 pick if the Flames miss the Playoffs. We've had 5/6 teams jump up since the new lottery has been implemented.

Nobody else is taking those risks, that's the point.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
:dunno: Ottawa didn't expect to hand us a pick higher than 20 in the duchene trade, it'll still look horrible for them if it happens.

and it's a 7.2% chance of being a lottery pick atm, which isn't big, but isn't neglible either.

The Ottawa pick is a result of them badly assessing their team not random chance.

I already said if the Flames finished bottom 5 on their own not due to lottery balls it would have been a much bigger deal.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
You can hold the fact that it wasn't protected against Treliving. I mean even Cheveldayoff put in a condition for the Stastny trade that if the pick was 1-3 (highly unlikely seeing as where the Jets are this season) then it would move to 2019.

Frankly it's embarrassing that Treliving didn't do that.

I guess we have different standards of embarrassing between the two Alberta teams.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
St. Louis won today. Calgary didn't.

We're not going to convince each other, but ultimately, in my opinion, it's a failure on Treliving's part that he didn't put a condition on that first rounder.

Are we just ignoring that St Louis has been garbage since before Christmas?

Flames clearly have issues. Played too casual and doesn't help we're rolling with two rookie goalies.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
There was a lot of hype around that deal and from what I've seen of him he nothing more than an above average dman. The media really made him sound like he was an awesome game changing defenseman.
Flames are overhyped. They are the 2011-2018 jets. Paper tigers, but one with 6 #1 defencemen and an extremely bad goalie to counteract the #1 defensiveness and turn them into #4's.

Reactions: Devonator

North

Jun 25, 2009
I guess we have different standards of embarrassing between the two Alberta teams.

They can both be embarrassing at the same time. Not sure why you think bringing up Edmonton actually means anything in the context of this conversation.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Are we just ignoring that St Louis has been garbage since before Christmas?

Flames clearly have issues. Played too casual and doesn't help we're rolling with two rookie goalies.

And? St. Louis still won yesterday. Calgary didn't.

The issues Calgary had going into the deadline, they still had coming out of the deadline. Treliving claimed Stewart and traded for Shore in the midst of a fight for a playoff spot.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
They can both be embarrassing at the same time. Not sure why you think bringing up Edmonton actually means anything in the context of this conversation.

I just found it funny how we're being harped that we could be potentially losing Dahlin when we both know he's going to you.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
And? St. Louis still won yesterday. Calgary didn't.

The issues Calgary had going into the deadline, they still had coming out of the deadline. Treliving claimed Stewart and traded for Shore in the midst of a fight for a playoff spot.

Not that I'm going to come out here and say Stewart and Shore are game changers for us. But our issues...consistency etc have to be solved within the squad. Hamonic, whether you think he's been great or not, is a sunk cost and I don't want to see our GM spend more picks this year.

North

Jun 25, 2009
I just found it funny how we're being harped that we could be potentially losing Dahlin when we both know he's going to you.

The lottery hasn't happened yet.

I feel like you're trying to get a rise out of me rather than discussing the issue of not protecting the first round pick.

Let me save you the time. I know Edmonton is shit and has better odds in the draft lottery.

Doesn't change the fact Treliving dropped the ball here.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
The lottery hasn't happened yet.

I feel like you're trying to get a rise out of me rather than discussing the issue of not protecting the first round pick.

Let me save you the time. I know Edmonton is **** and has better odds in the draft lottery.

Doesn't change the fact Treliving dropped the ball here.

I'm looking at comments from other Oilers fans and I feel the same way. You bring this draft pick up after one game. If we're going to throw away the rest of the season then yeah Treliving dropped the ball most definitely. We've got ways to go.

North

Jun 25, 2009
I'm looking at comments from other Oilers fans and I feel the same way. You bring this draft pick up after one game. If we're going to throw away the rest of the season then yeah Treliving dropped the ball most definitely. We've got ways to go.

Yet the inconsistency has remained and they are on the outside looking in.

The only thing I'm saying is it was shortsighted of the GM not to place a condition on that pick.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
Yet the inconsistency has remained and they are on the outside looking in.

The only thing I'm saying is it was shortsighted of the GM not to place a condition on that pick.

If Calgary misses the playoffs, then there will be a lot of shortsightedness to discuss. Coaching, thinking Hamonic was the last piece, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia