GDT: 2/28/13 "Take A Slice" - Sabres VS Panthers

Status
Not open for further replies.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
If we don't call up Markstrom we truly know the org doesn't care about putting the best team out there.

That is it in a nutshell.

They want a winning team but they want a winning team that's not expensive, imo.

The cost of markstrom for the next two or three weeks will be made up for by more than enough when we trade players at deadline if we don't save the season. I don't see much financial cost at all with him in the lineup. The season will be saved or lost by the second week of March. And if we save the season, playoff revenue and increase in attendance going forward will. I don't see how money is an issue for a couple of weeks. If it is, we need new ownership.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
I was at the game it not goaltending its defense-there is no system or coaching design whatsoever.

Right now our defensive system is let guys walk in and take incredible shots on our goalie or flop around and deflect pucks right onto the stick of the opposing player who has a wide open net.

It's a combination of both. Team defense doesn't get enough blame around here.

CoolburnIsGone

It's a combination of both. Team defense doesn't get enough blame around here.
Honestly, that seems to be our BIGGEST problem right now. Its obvious we can play offense when we have scored 5 goals in several games. Its more obvious though that we can't play solid defense when we've lost games where we have scored 5 goals. Goaltenders can only do so much so it falls on the entire team to play good defensive hockey. Not just defensemen but the forwards too...no one seems to be playing solid defense this yr.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
We haven't ever had this bad goaltending as we do this season

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Honestly, that seems to be our BIGGEST problem right now. Its obvious we can play offense when we have scored 5 goals in several games. Its more obvious though that we can't play solid defense when we've lost games where we have scored 5 goals. Goaltenders can only do so much so it falls on the entire team to play good defensive hockey. Not just defensemen but the forwards too...no one seems to be playing solid defense this yr.

Yup. I agree.

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
I find it strange that Weiss is playing so poor, and in his contract year. He should be playing his ass off.

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
If we don't call up Markstrom we truly know the org doesn't care about putting the best team out there.

That is it in a nutshell.

Oh def. agree, but they're probably thinking, ok Markie came in and played well, and we still lost, it's going to take much more than Markie , although yes goalies have cost us at least a couple of points this season...but we have 2 guys under contract for the position , in my opinion we should have traded or let Clemmensen go and have Markie as the back up in a short season and then take over next year, he would've already taken over 1st goalie duties by now this season

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
He said he doesn't want to negotiate during the season because it is a distraction. Maybe he just isn't mentally tough. There is a reason no coach has ever made him captain.

Yes, I know that. The point is that if he has a bad season he will likely get paid less in his next contract (or less than he would if he had a good season).

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
Maybe a good thing we didn't sign Weiss quickly. We would've been pretty ticked off if he played like this with a new 4+ year contract.

Yeah, it would be one thing if he was getting good looks but they just weren't going in like Shore. But he ain't even getting any chances.

Pull the trigger Tallon. I'll take a late 1st.

-ghoste

jkscott

Florida Panther STH
Apr 30, 2011
South Florida
Buffalo physically beat us last night. Quite a few cheap shots, I counted 3 on Huberdeau. Huberdeau will get hurt if we can't match up with teams physically. Im not talking about throwing Parros out there to fight Scott either. I saw the same thing with Pittsburgh. Panthers never play dirty. Maybe they should start. We have a real asset in Huberdeau. If they want to target him than we should make sure Vanek and Crosby go home bruised as well.

ursavolta

Aug 9, 2010
miami, Fl
Buffalo physically beat us last night. Quite a few cheap shots, I counted 3 on Huberdeau. Huberdeau will get hurt if we can't match up with teams physically. Im not talking about throwing Parros out there to fight Scott either. I saw the same thing with Pittsburgh. Panthers never play dirty. Maybe they should start. We have a real asset in Huberdeau. If they want to target him than we should make sure Vanek and Crosby go home bruised as well.

thing is we don't have players that naturally have that aggressive sense of approach...

Parros is a slow mule out there.. who is next in line? Skille?

Strachan and kopecky are the only ones who actually throw their weight around in that aspect.. barely.

I would like to acquire someone passionate who skates hard, chirps and plays with an attitude.. someone that doesn't mind getting into the face and mind of the opposing player. Someone who goes on the ice to play hard not to make friends.

That is why I miss upshall, sure his contract sucks, but the guy is good for 30 points + that aggressive type of play, if he stays healthy. This latest injury was because someone fell on his leg awkardly, not his fault.

Someone like bolland..brouwer...simmonds...cooke... Lucic...

Thing is its kind of a mirror effect when it comes to players on a team. Once a player start to show some balls out there the rest of the team follows suit and buys into the whole aggressive aspect of it, or a portion of that. That's what makes Campbell such a great O - Dman just because he takes those risks, skates with poise and jumps up on the play. Kulikov/strachan/robak can look at this guy and emulate, even if it's a small aspect, of their game.

Same goes for that gritty aggressive aspect of the game, unfortunately we have no one that provides that.

Last edited:

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees

Im amazed it seems every time the opposition comes down the ice they get a quality scoring chance. It starts in the neutral zone we have to do a better job of deflecting pucks and breaking up passes there. Also we have trouble protecting the slot im tired of seeing guys behind the net able to find guys streaking down the middle of the slot.

Gord Murphy is not doing his job.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Im amazed it seems every time the opposition comes down the ice they get a quality scoring chance. It starts in the neutral zone we have to do a better job of deflecting pucks and breaking up passes there. Also we have trouble protecting the slot im tired of seeing guys behind the net able to find guys streaking down the middle of the slot.

Gord Murphy is not doing his job.

It's very frustrating. It's weird that we've done such a 180 form last year.

Benched

Jan 2, 2007
Oh def. agree, but they're probably thinking, ok Markie came in and played well, and we still lost, it's going to take much more than Markie , although yes goalies have cost us at least a couple of points this season...but we have 2 guys under contract for the position , in my opinion we should have traded or let Clemmensen go and have Markie as the back up in a short season and then take over next year, he would've already taken over 1st goalie duties by now this season

So you send down our best goalie when it is one of the biggest problems on the team and we're still in contention for the division? Yeah, we lost when he was here. But not because of him. I can pretty much guarantee you we will lose more games playing Theo/Clem. The FO knows knows that. And they're still letting him sit in the minors. Seems to me they're just going to be content losing more games than they have to. That's not how a team should be run, no matter how good or bad the rest of the team is. Unless you're trying to lose on purpose, you play your best players. And there's absolutely no reason we should be losing on purpose with the playoffs still possible. Like I said, it's a slap in the face to everyone who buys a ticket and supports this team.

I really would love to hear the FO explain why he isn't here, especially with this stretch of conference games coming up.

Pantherfan12

Jun 26, 2006
Sunrise,Florida
So you send down our best goalie when it is one of the biggest problems on the team and we're still in contention for the division? Yeah, we lost when he was here. But not because of him. I can pretty much guarantee you we will lose more games playing Theo/Clem. The FO knows knows that. And they're still letting him sit in the minors. Seems to me they're just going to be content losing more games than they have to. That's not how a team should be run, no matter how good or bad the rest of the team is. Unless you're trying to lose on purpose, you play your best players. And there's absolutely no reason we should be losing on purpose with the playoffs still possible. Like I said, it's a slap in the face to everyone who buys a ticket and supports this team.

I really would love to hear the FO explain why he isn't here, especially with this stretch of conference games coming up.

1000% agree. I've been saying this all season. We have Marky and Robak, who have come in and played a lot better than Theo/Clemmer/ and Kuba. We have players in the system who want a job and players on the team who don't deserve jobs. Just like you said, this organization should be looking for any possible solution to get this team to start winning. What good is scoring 5 goals when your goaltending lets in 6? Who do we blame though? Dineen?Tallon?Murphy? Is it coaching or players?

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
1000% agree. I've been saying this all season. We have Marky and Robak, who have come in and played a lot better than Theo/Clemmer/ and Kuba. We have players in the system who want a job and players on the team who don't deserve jobs. Just like you said, this organization should be looking for any possible solution to get this team to start winning. What good is scoring 5 goals when your goaltending lets in 6? Who do we blame though? Dineen?Tallon?Murphy? Is it coaching or players?

Robak doesn't deserve any praise yet. RampageNate has spoke about him needing to work on his D-game.

Problem is on everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad